I need a cover, right?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ylojelo

I need a cover, right?

#1 Post by ylojelo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:29 pm

if the pontoon will be on a lift under a roof in an open (no side walls) boathouse, do I still use a cover? And is the OEM cover a better value than after market brands?

thanks

jimrs

Re: I need a cover, right?

#2 Post by jimrs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:36 am

I would say yes, I have my boat in the summer in the boathouse and try not to cover it, as I am lazy. The seats are always dirty from blowing dirt, grass, leaves, and just airborne stuff. Granted it's protected from the sun and rain but it need something to help keep it clean. I don't have running water at the boathouse so it's hard to clean the seats, and carpet without running water. I would use a light weight cover to keep that type of stuff out of it.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

GXPWeasel

#3 Post by GXPWeasel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Going from previous experience, I would say I would cover my boat, even if it was in a garage. The only thing that sucks about a cover, is the time it takes to put it on, and take if off. But really, how long does it take. I have owned my boat less than a year, and I can take the cover off in about 3-5 minutes, by myself. I have a 26' toon. I can also put the thing on in about 5-7 minutes, I know this b/c I had to when a storm was rolling up. :biggrin2

So for me, the 10-15 minutes it's going to take me to cover & uncover a boat each time I use it, is worth the savings in not having to spend hours cleaning seats, or money replacing vinyl/carpet.

Also, I would recommend the factory cover, or factory replacement. I have used universal / aftermarket covers that are genaric to the type/size of boat, and they don't hold up NEARLY as well as a cover that is specifically made for your boat. This doesn't mean you need to have the original, or brand that your boat came with, but use a cover that was made specifically for your boat. This can be one made by a local company, or the boat manufacturer. Those covers are normally heavier grade canvas, and I have found that the snaps stay put much better, and there tend to be more of them to keep the cover secured.

There's my $.02
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

BrianP

#4 Post by BrianP » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:55 pm

IMO, yes, you definitely want a cover. I have a roof, open sides and a lift. The cover keeps an enormous amount of stuff off of my boat. It also helps keep the critters away!
Brian

LOTO
Bennington 2575RL SSR, 3 Log, 225hp Evinrude ETEC, Cyclone SS 14.25" 23p 4 blade prop
Mariah Z272, 7.4L Mercury I/O, Bravo III
Kawasaki Ultra 250

dockholiday

#5 Post by dockholiday » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:29 pm

Yep cover........don't mess with the aftermarket stuff.........lost a lot of pontooning time due to purchasing an aftermarket. I just hated to take the cover off it was so much of a hassle..........the time you save with a fitted cover (as said) will be worth the additional bucks. Try to get one with the ridge pole vents they really help out.
doc

Bryden24shp

#6 Post by Bryden24shp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:51 am

Is there anyway that you can have someone make a curtain type cover that mounts under the roof of the slip, that the boat can be lifted into? That way you would not have to take your cover off and put it on. Some Shore Stations have this option. I used one at a resort with a rented slip, and it worked great.
Just a thought!
Bryan
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

BrianP

#7 Post by BrianP » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:11 am

Bryan made me think of something. If you want to spend a few more bucks (at least than I am willing to), I am seeing more and more of the automated covers. They are pretty cool. They attach to the underside of your roof.

Here is one. I don't know anything about this specific one, but it gives you the idea:
http://www.midwestboatcovers.com/

Video:
http://www.midwestboatcovers.com/video/video.wmv
Brian

LOTO
Bennington 2575RL SSR, 3 Log, 225hp Evinrude ETEC, Cyclone SS 14.25" 23p 4 blade prop
Mariah Z272, 7.4L Mercury I/O, Bravo III
Kawasaki Ultra 250

REPETE

#8 Post by REPETE » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:46 am

BrianP wrote:Bryan made me think of something. If you want to spend a few more bucks (at least than I am willing to), I am seeing more and more of the automated covers. They are pretty cool. They attach to the underside of your roof.

Here is one. I don't know anything about this specific one, but it gives you the idea:
http://www.midwestboatcovers.com/

Video:
http://www.midwestboatcovers.com/video/video.wmv

THAT is pretty cool! I have mine on a boat lift and the canopy comes down far enough (down the sides) that I can put the toon all the way up and the canopy pretty much keeps it clean. If I had a perm boat house I would try to do something like that. Covering toons is a PITA. You really wouldn't need a "cover" if you can get the toon up high enough to the roof and get some side protection with a canopy.
Just verified it on Snopes. Liberals are complete mouth breathing idiots.

I shanked my lover because hoes kept stealing my taco's.

Bill1031

#9 Post by Bill1031 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:45 am

I would say yes for a cover. Last year (sml) I kept my boat in another marinia that was covered. Even covered (cockpit and bow) I would come to find bird cr** on the rear or front of boat. Another time the winch motor had dripped grease, and at least is was only on the cover and not on my carpet. On my new toon the cover is much more complete and at this new location I am going to construct something like a dish pan or cookie sheet under the lift motor just in case. Bill
Bill & Lynn
2010 2275 RLI Bennington/ESP
150 Yamaha
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

WaltF

#10 Post by WaltF » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 am

Ya, cover it.
The 'good' covers will last a long time, so ive heard. Maybe 10 years?
The cheapo $200 cover, like ive got from WallyWorld, lasts about 2 years.
Yup, thats it...
Course, its sitting in an exposed slip, and the weather out here in Colorado can wreak havoc on stuff.. :box

Also, $200 for 2 years or $1000 for 10 years = the same cost after 10 years....
Course the 'Better' cover fits way nicer....
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.