Pontoon Covers

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

Pontoon Covers

#1 Post by ROLAND » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:48 am

Hey guys, any recommendations for good boat covers for a pontoon boat? I don't know what the forum rules are here about mentioning other web sites, but I'll assume the administrator would just delete this post if I'm violating any rules... seen one called " best boat cover " on pontoonstuff.com It appears to be a very nice cover, 100% polyester and claims to be water proof. Here's the problem I keep running into. No matter what cover site I go to, they all say measure the length and width of your deck. That's not a problem, but at the back of my toon, there is a fold up latter attached to the rear of the deck, that has to add another 6 inches or so, not to mention the ladder hangs down below the deck where the cover is supposed to go, also the bimini top would be laying all the way down on the rails, so there's that "extra" overhang factoring in the navigation light at the top of the bimini... Any ideas which cover I should get.. deck is 17'11" long, 8 1/2 ' wide, plus factoring in the issues I mentioned above. If it helps determine the right size cover, the boat is a bennington 20 SFi. I would love to hear what you guys think of that "best boat cover" at pontoonstuff.com, or any other covers that you think would be a good fit.. Thanks again for all of your help. I'm trying to add a pic so you can see what I mean about the ladder at the rear. The cover at pontoonstuff.com is supposed to tuck under the bottom of the deck all the way around, the ladder is obviously going to interfere with that.

Roland
Attachments
all our pictures 287.jpg
all our pictures 287.jpg (367.7 KiB) Viewed 3782 times
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

jim454

Re: Pontoon Covers

#2 Post by jim454 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:36 am

how 'bout having a canvas shop make you one up, custom fit you know?
'99 18' Monark Suncaster
50 hp Honda
Canvas Craft Enclosure

The Mighty Mississippi !!

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:55 am

Here is a list, I ran across
http://www.charternet.com/greatgear/n3-boat-tops.html

I got mine from GMI which is on the list also. Mine fit like a glove and has the vents on the ridge poles.
doc

WaltF

#4 Post by WaltF » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:22 am

how 'bout having a canvas shop make you one up, custom fit you know?
Those are the nicest ones! Custom built for your toon!
There's a guy up in Denver who makes all the covers for Bass Pro - Sun Tracker.
You basically give him your toon when it comes in for about a week. You get it back with a KILLER cover!
Ive seen his work, and its is quite awesome..... :nana
Expect to drop about 1k on a cover like this...

Paul's Canvas
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

GXPWeasel

#5 Post by GXPWeasel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:40 pm

My cover looks almost exactly like the cover you have on yours, in the picture. Why don't you like this type of cover? To me, there is no reason to go all the way down to the deck on the majority of the boad. The cover in the picture "covers" all of the openings, and snaps to the railing, and the extends to the deck, in the front, exactly like mine. I will say that the differnce between mine, and the one in your picture, is that my cover is made perfectly to the railing in the rear, where the swim ladder is. Yours appears to go around that corner, where it jogs in, if you know what I'm saying :?

All in all, from what I've been told, and from past experience on other type of boats, you want a cover that is specifically made for your boat. Don't get a general " this cover will fit a 20' pontoon" cover, or you'll be throwing your money away, by replacing the thing damn near every year.

I would do like suggested above, and find a local upholstery shop, or call the place that you are questioning, and see if you can fax them a sketch that has the measurements of the boat, in a birds eye view.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

ROLAND

#6 Post by ROLAND » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks guys for the info on the covers.. as some of you suggested I looked into a couple of local upholstery shops and talked to them about making a "custom" cover... the only problem with them is the cost... one shop quoted me 1800, the other said low end of 1800 to approx. 2200 on the high side.. I just can't see paying 2 grand for a cover.. also I live out in the burbs with lots of trees and "varmits"... would hate to spend 2k for a custom cover, come home and find out the freakin squirrels had chewed thru it and were using my seats and boat for a vacation home... This very thing happened to a neighbor who lives just down the street.. custom cover on his triton bass boat, parked it under a canopy in his back yard for the winter... took it out a couple of weeks ago, big hole in the cover, seats and carpet all destroyed by squirrels...and of course he didn't carry comp insurance and his insurance company told him "too bad, so sad ".... as to one other suggestion about just using the playpen cover I have on there... the only reason I want one that comes all the way down to the deck is to prevent the hot louisiana sun from fading the side panels...

Roland
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

tkrein

#7 Post by tkrein » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 pm

i believe bennington covers fading of the graphics in fact i think they were designed not to fade. anyway their is a reason that benningotn doesnt go all the way to the deck one of them is because the pontoons have rail spacers which allows for air flow so if there is any moister it would keep the pontoon dry. and of coarse the cost of the cover. if you wan tgo to the dealer you bought the boat from ask if they have the shipping cover for your boat or for one like it i think they were made to be reused they would go all the way to the deck. and they have a built in zipper for access to the toon now I would only use something like that for winter storage and the toon would have to be dry. just a thought.
2017 Bennington 22ssrx
115 Yamaha
karavan Trailer
2014 Chev tahoe

dockholiday

#8 Post by dockholiday » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:31 pm

Think if you had a good coat or two of carnuba wax the side panels would be okay. Given what you already have, I would just get a giant tarp to cover the entire boat and install some vents if needed.
doc

WaltF

#9 Post by WaltF » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:10 am

Personally, i have one of those el cheapo covers from Wallyworld.
Ya, it only seems to last 2, maybe 3 years out here, but the thing is only $200.
So spending $1000 for something that lasts 10 years vs $200 for 2 years both work out to the same amount of money after 10 years...

But this way, i wont be too upset when my $200 cover dies like last year, when a hail storm punched about 30, 2 inch holes into it while sitting in the slip...
Id be REAL upset if my $1000 cover died a few years into it....

But thats just my plan.... :biggrin2
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

GXPWeasel

#10 Post by GXPWeasel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 pm

A couple more things that I thought of, after your reply, and others'. The squirrels and varmits can be kept out of the boat by simply adding dryer sheets, and or moth balls. Sure, moth balls stink, but I'd rather my boat stink for the first 15 minutes after the cover's off (one time) than have squirrels make trash out of my seats.

Also, like "dockholiday" said, you could put carnuba wax on the side panels, and that would work, but if you want even better protection, go with a sealant. What most people call liquid wax nowadays is actually a paint sealer, and is made more for longevity. Anything that contains carnumba, is for the "pop" and depth of the paint. Sealers are made to repel water, dirt, and UV rays, for a very long time. Some up to a year without re-application. If you want the best of both, like several of us manic automotive detailers do, use both. Layer the paint sealer first, then then a thin coat of carnuba on top ( after the 12hr. cure time for the sealer ). If you want more info on this, let me know, I'd be glad to share. :biggrin2
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

ROLAND

#11 Post by ROLAND » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:36 am

Thanks for the heads up on the carnuba wax... don't know why I didnt think of that myself. With regard to the squirrels, what do you do? Just lay dryer sheets and or moth balls all around the deck and furniture? If so, especially during winter when the boat will sit idle for months at a time, how often would I need to replace the dryer sheets / moth balls. One thing I had considered: Last year we had a terrible time with squirrels gnawing holes in our soffit and living in our attic. Bought one of those "pest" be gone machines that is supposed to produce a certain pitch that squirrels hate. Since we sided the house, "the squirrel box" has been on the shelf in the garage, was thinking about just placing iton the deck of the boat and running an extension cord into the garage and letting that sucker scream 24/7. Couldn't hurt could it?

Roland
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#12 Post by lakerunner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:40 am

I use throw away pie pans to put mothballs in. For winter storage I use a whole box for max bang. Also stuff a few in Bimini cover openings to prevent wasp and mud daubers from getting in there
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

dockholiday

#13 Post by dockholiday » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:54 am

I use the dryer sheets, moth balls, and damprid. Might be overkill, but if it keeps the interior from being damaged well worth it. Just price some new furniture, well over 2k and the vinyl repair guys are high dollar to.
doc

buddy19520

#14 Post by buddy19520 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 pm

How about buying one of the generic covers that goes down to the deck, and letting a local guy modify it to fit around the ladder? Might not be too expensive, especially if you do it before the season picks up. The best material is solution dyed acrylic (Sunbrella or another brand called Outdura)-it breathes. Anything coated is going to trap moisture and cause mildew eventually. I had a Wallyworld cover (two actually) on my bowrider. It was a bitch crawling underneath it to put the poles in because the coating deteriorated after a year, and I would get covered in dust from the deteriorated coating.

I like the idea of covering the sides. My boat has already been buffed once because of fading on the port side, and its only three years old.

Philip