Power steering-hydraulic steering...

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

catdaddy

Power steering-hydraulic steering...

#1 Post by catdaddy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:29 pm

Hey all...
Still trying to wad through all the options on some of these boats... some dealers insist that I need some things others not so much...
Looking at a Bennington...25 foot, triple toon with 200 horse Yamaha, 4 strokes...
Saw a boat at one dealer with Seastar hydraulic steering, and powerassist.... the power assist was a dealer add-on for 1300 more...
The other dealer has a similar boat with no power assist and tells me its completely unnecessary....
I'm sure a test drive would settle the issue... but I'm curious to see what more experienced board members think....
Any thoughts...
2010 Bennington 2475 GLI
200 Yamaha
Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Kentucky Lake, Paris Landing, Breakers

dockholiday

Re: Power steering-hydraulic steering...

#2 Post by dockholiday » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Got the seastar and don't have any problems running the 150. You could add the power assist if you wanted later. One thing about the toon you are not out cutting doughnuts like a bow rider or deck boat. If I had to make the decision at time of purchase think I would just go the sea star route with the option of adding the power assist at a given price.
doc

Bryden24shp

#3 Post by Bryden24shp » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:24 pm

SeaStar??? Yes, you want it. Its effortless, 1 finger steering! The only thing I don't like about it is that you can hear the servos buzzing when steering hard. But its a quirk I can live with...
Bryan
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

catdaddy

#4 Post by catdaddy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Bryden...
Do you have power assist also... or just Seastar?

Also... I looked at the EZ fender... I'm new to pontooning... what is your item used for? I'm a major greenhorn
2010 Bennington 2475 GLI
200 Yamaha
Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Kentucky Lake, Paris Landing, Breakers

Bryden24shp

#5 Post by Bryden24shp » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Just the Seastar, its all you need. My EzFenders are use to hang the fender (or bumper) off the sides of your pontoon boat when docking or rafting up with another boat. The fender line slides through the hole and you just lightly tighten the thumbscrew onto the line. It makes putting out and adjusting your fenders real easy. I have sold alot of them, no complaints at all, everyone just loves them. I have also sold them to people that use them as flag holders. I just sold a pair to a guy that put 3/8 ready rod through them to close off the front of his dock, so dockfockers (idiots who use other peoples slips with out permission) won't get into his slip at night. They work great!
Bryan
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

buddy19520

#6 Post by buddy19520 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:20 pm

I have a 23 foot triple tube Sylvan with a 175 E-tec. I like the boat, but as my wife could tell you, I have often commented on "Wish I had gotten the power steering". Mine has SeaStar, but no power assist.

From what I have seen, $1300 is cheap for power assist. I looked into the parts 2-3 years ago, and they cost $1500 - just for the parts. Labor and taxes would have added a few hundred more.

Up to about 25 miles per hour it is usually smooth steering without the power assist. But over that it gets into two-arm territory. Where I really miss it is when I pull kids on tubes - donuts take some effort.

Philip

BassFrequency

#7 Post by BassFrequency » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:51 pm

im not familiar with power steering but i know enough to know its a nice thing to have. even my 60 if not trimmed right, flies to the right really bad. I dont like prop torque :censored :censored
24' 1989 Starcraft 23.1mph gps
60HP Evinrude
'96 GMC Jimmy "The Demon" custom 8 ball lever 4x4
no muffler or cat. just strait to the back