STUPID STUPID STUPID

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

STUPID STUPID STUPID

#1 Post by ROLAND » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:50 am

Hi guys... have you ever done something so stupid it made you so mad.. :x Anyway the weather forecast for today ( Sunday ) was 72 and sunny.. Great idea, let's take the brand new pontoon boat out for a spin. So I go get the boat out of storeage Saturday night, it's been in storeage since we bought it 5 months ago, so I slap on the battery charger and let it run over night. Full charge, ready to go... Now mind you we have only had this boat in the water once since we bought it back in October, and that time my son ( who has owned a pontoon for 3 years ) went with us to walk us thru launching and putting it back on the trailer.. anyway all systems go, get to the launch, wait our turn, back that baby down and turn the key.... nothing, zero, nada... I had working gauges, working horn, stereo, everything except the one thing you need to make the damn thing go... the motor.. checked the terminals on the battery, checked everything I could think of, Finally since there was a line of people waiting to launch, I just yelled to my wife to pull the boat out.. We drive the 20 miles back home, and I check again, cant find anything... :donno My next door neighbor, who is an avid fisherman comes over to see the boat and I explain to him what's going on... first words out of his mouth " are you sure your throttle is in neutral? "..... i am so stupid, stupid stupid... he jumped up in the boat, moved the throttle and just barely turned the key and bam! you could hear the motor start to fire... what do you want to bet that this never happens to me again! I can't believe I didn't think to check that.. oh well, the sandwiches momma made for our afternoon lunch on the lake tasted just as good sitting on the boat in the driveway. :-) weather permitting we're gonna try it all again tomorrow ( Monday ).. I can't believe I am so stupid stupid stupid.

Roland
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

sprintfan

Re: STUPID STUPID STUPID

#2 Post by sprintfan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:35 am

WELCOME TO THE CLUB ! They say there are two kinds of boaters, those that HAVE done something STUPID and those that WILLl ;-) Just be glad that is one lesson you probly won't have to relearn.

paulangelo

#3 Post by paulangelo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:34 am

been there done that. Fortunetly when I did it, someone on the launch came over and put the throttle in neutral for me and we were able to go out. Yes embarrassing but at least no damage was done. Other stupid things I have done is pull out of a slip (one using mooring whips) and not watching. The whip caught the back bimini frame and next thing I know, the frame breaksm the anchor light goes flying (good thing it floated) and I have to travel home at night without my anchor light. Still waiting for the replacement frame for my bimini. Ask Repete his story about a low bridge! LOL

Woody

#4 Post by Woody » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:51 am

I think we have all done that at one time or another. I was lucky enough to check mine before hauling it back home. Like you said, it won't happen again. :biggrin2
2014 Benny (Until I find a replacement for my totaled JC Tritoon)

Usually somewhere on the TN River

jimrs

#5 Post by jimrs » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:30 am

Yea, we have all done something stupid like this when we get in a hurry to try and launch our boats. But it's one thing that you will check next time before you turn the key. You will get a routine down and when followed won't let you make stupid mistakes but you must take the boat out first to get a routine down and right for you.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

mike
Site Owner

#6 Post by mike » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:48 am

we have all done something stupid a time or two... Another big mistake is when your safety switch gets pulled out a bit and you cant start the motor. Usually this is from little kids playing in the boat.
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

BassFrequency

#7 Post by BassFrequency » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:01 am

hey paul, does a "low dock roof" fall into the same catagory as a bridge? :biggrin2 ive also done the throttle thing :paranoid :drink
24' 1989 Starcraft 23.1mph gps
60HP Evinrude
'96 GMC Jimmy "The Demon" custom 8 ball lever 4x4
no muffler or cat. just strait to the back

curtiscapk

#8 Post by curtiscapk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:40 am

HA HA Roland,

man I am glad I'm not that stupid.....now :rofl :rofl :rofl

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2321

at least I didn't make it to the water...
Last edited by curtiscapk on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

exospex

#9 Post by exospex » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:50 am

Next time it will be the kill switch lanyard. That's what got me the first time. It wasn't even pulled all the way off.
Matt & Kerrie
----2004 Aqua Patio 240RE----Cross Lake-Western NY
Onion Creek Farms----Rubs, sauces and spices----"Eat well, laugh, and enjoy life"

WaltF

#10 Post by WaltF » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:51 am

I dont know WHAT you people are talking about cause Ive NEVER done anything stupid!!

....ahh yea.. riiight... :drink4 :rofl

Hey, your mistake didnt cost you a dime. Consider yourself covered by the boating God's! :nana
Now get out there, n try again!! :alright :alright :lol:
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

GXPWeasel

#11 Post by GXPWeasel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:22 am

That is the exact same thing I did when I took our boat out for the first time. I'd had other boats before too, but just didn't think to check this. Then later in the day when I realized what I'd done wrong, I took it to a different lake, and had a good time.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

captain kurt

#12 Post by captain kurt » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am

Here's your sign. was it Jeff foxworthy said ? :hammer You know if you keep that kind of behavior up the Government will require U take a IQ test before you can own a boat.Then again the government vs IQ oxymoron. :nana
2001 Premier
250 R.E Majestic
4.3lt Tri toon
Lake Tahoe, Nv
2001 Dodge 1500 5.9lt

Hey! What's in your Bucket?

mjlyn

#13 Post by mjlyn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:24 am

Hey at least the boat had not floated off the trailer yet.....then you would have been screwed trying to get it back on.

You probably would have have figured it out yourself if you had floated off though. I always get a little stressed at the launch with other people watching and waiting. Although floating around outta control where others are launching probably would have kept you in a panic.

Well, at least you won't do that again. And as others have said keep an eye on the lanyard on the kill switch......that will be what gets you next.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#14 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 am

I did mine different in the middle of the lake, mine came from what I forgot to lube.

But any way ran the tank out and switched over but it wasn't starting, the starter motor was turning but it wouldn't start, took off the cover and seen the worm drive was dry so I lubed it so the gear would engage.

I check and lube that now when needed.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

toondog

#15 Post by toondog » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:44 pm

I once got out to the middle of the lake and noticed my pee spout wasn't whizzing. After a few curse words and thinking my day was ruined, I lifted the motor and noticed I still had the ear muffs on. :hammer Man I felt stupid. Not knowing if I had fried my intake impeller :prayer I drove slowly until I felt everything was working properly. :thumbsup
Burn and learn lessons. You don't forget those. :biggrin2
96 20 special Grumman 50hp evinrude
13 Blazer outboard jet boat
11 12ft Perception Kayak
18 250 6.7 powerstroke

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky