STUPID STUPID STUPID

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

margaritaman

Re: STUPID STUPID STUPID

#16 Post by margaritaman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:25 pm

You guys all have funny stories. Before I leave my house I always hook up water and mouse ears and crank the motor and let it idle. Then I shut it off and crank it back up again just to make sure it would start. Then I take the boat to the lake. When my engine sits for a few weeks it is hard to start the first time and I sometimes have to use starting fluid. The second time it should start right up without the starting fluid. This way I know it will definitely start when I am in the water.

We are lucky pontoon boats do not require those cork plugs that runabouts have because I have forgotten to put those back in after draining the boat and the boat starts to sink. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

BassFrequency

#17 Post by BassFrequency » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:06 pm

margaritaman wrote:
We are lucky pontoon boats do not require those cork plugs that runabouts have because I have forgotten to put those back in after draining the boat and the boat starts to sink. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
did that with a pair of jet skis once :shock: :drink4 :rofl
24' 1989 Starcraft 23.1mph gps
60HP Evinrude
'96 GMC Jimmy "The Demon" custom 8 ball lever 4x4
no muffler or cat. just strait to the back

Bryden24shp

#18 Post by Bryden24shp » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Here is a smart move, I put my Baja in the water at a very busy, unfamiliar boat ramp, in unfamiliar water a few years ago. Being in a hurry so I wouldn't clog up the lanes, I got everyone in the boat, backed it in, fired it up, stuck it in reverse and it wouldn't move off the trailer. I thought maybe I backed the boat into a stump or something, pulled it out.

Transom Straps were on yet.... :oops:
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

BrianP

#19 Post by BrianP » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:16 pm

My story sounds fairly similar to yours.

I just bought my v bottom boat. I took my daughters and two of their friends out tubing. I only owned the boat for a couple of weeks. Everyone had a great time. I am always paranoid about the prop spinning with the kids in the water, so I make sure to cut the engine immediately. On this occasion, we were done and ready to go home. It started getting a little crowded out there. I stopped the boat and killed the engine for safety. My wife and I pulled in all of the kids. We were wrapping towels around them, and were ready to go home. I turned the key...nothing. I turned it again...nothing. Ok, now I'm worried a little. I asked my wife if she could hear the engine turning over. She said no. Uh oh. I am trying to act calm, but I guess the kids could sense the fear. They said what's wrong. I told them the boat wasn't starting, but don't worry. Did I mention we were right by a large cliff? Did I mention there were a lot of boats around that were creating large wakes pushing us toward the cliff? Ok, I probably didn't mention the fact that I hadn't bought an anchor for the boat yet...hmmm....that didn't seem smart right about then. The girls helped. They all got together and started screaming at the top of their lungs that we're all going to die...this helps. The one thing that I can feel better about is how there is always someone there who can help you...at least this is what my neighbor said when I bought the boat. I know that I am in good shape though since after all I was leaving because there were so many people. As a matter of a fact, I just saw water patrol go by right before I killed the engine. It's amazing...every single boat left! I now have the cove all to myself. This didn't eliminate the wakes pushing us closer and closer to the cliff though. I debate about jumping out of the boat and trying to swim and pull it. Luckily, I come to my senses and realize that I am not going to pull a 27.5' fiberglass boat by myself going against the wake. Closer and closer the cliff gets, the louder and louder all of the girls get...not good. I finally look down and realize that I am in forward, and the only thing that I pulled back on was the gas...not the gear lever. I put it in neutral...try the engine again, and it starts up. It's a miracle! I then drive home with my heart still beating fairly quickly from the experience. I pull into the dock and tell my neighbors. Before I could finish the story, they said, "did you check if the boat was in neutral?" Great! Where were you earlier!

Unfortunately, the story isn't over. All of the kids ran to our friends who were out on our deck, and proceeded to let their parents know how I almost killed them. Guess what I haven't forgotten since. Yep, sometimes the best learned lessons are the hardest. I bet you never forget again either.
Brian

LOTO
Bennington 2575RL SSR, 3 Log, 225hp Evinrude ETEC, Cyclone SS 14.25" 23p 4 blade prop
Mariah Z272, 7.4L Mercury I/O, Bravo III
Kawasaki Ultra 250

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#20 Post by lakerunner » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Launch boat, pull out slowly as I am pulling boat back to ramp with rope tied from boat to trailer. Look back and see boat drifting across cove. Guy just coming in brings it back to me.

First trip in first and brand new boat. Betty and I having a blast cutting between islands on Grand Lake when we come to abrupt hale with muddy water flying everywhere. Took almost 2 hrs to push boat off mud flat.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

ROLAND

#21 Post by ROLAND » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:32 am

Somebody mentioned something to the effect that I was lucky that I hadn't unhooked the strap. When we bought the toon about 5 months ago, we took it out one time before putting it in storage for the winter, fortunetly my son came along ( he has owned a toon for about 3 years ) and he told me to never unhook the strap until you have the motor running.. Fortunetly I remembered that lesson. By the way we tried it again today, back out to the lake ( in nuetral ) first time my wife and I are attempting to launch or retrieve a boat... no problem launching, 4 hours crusing and fishing and loving the wx.. alittle bit of an issue when I went to put the toon back on the trailer... first go got alittle crossways and ended up cockeyed on the trailer, backed it off and made another run at it, this time drover right up to the posts. Now at this point we did learn something new. As soon as I pulled the boat up to the posts and killed the motor, my wife started to pull us on out when I noticed the toon starting to slide back alitte on the trailer.. yelled for her to stop, and she got up on the trailer hooked up the strap and pulled us back up tight...so another lesson learned... strap up before pulling pulling the boat out. You know I was trying to avoid climbing down on the trailer ( broken leg a couple of years ago now with a plate and 8 screws in it, so climbing is not in my best interest ) so I thought I would just lay on the deck, reach back and underneath and hook the strap on, but for some reason the "eye" that you hood the strap to is way too far back under the boat to reach while laying on top the deck. No biggie, momma just rolled up her jeans and waded out, got up on the trailer and hooked us up. Being our first time, and in our late 50's we were concerned that we could pull it off, but hey baby WE DID IT.. Maybe I aint so stupid after all..... Should have bought a boat years ago... it's just so peaceful out there... Thank you guys for all your help...

Roland
2010 Bennington 20 SFi
Yamaha 75 hp 4 stroke
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Bryden24shp

#22 Post by Bryden24shp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:57 am

Speaking of trailers and winch straps, heres a short one. If you are winching your boat up to the trailer and the winch strap breaks. Don't grab the boats bow eye and try to save it. Dislocated my left shoulder. I'll never forget that one, either! We should all get together and write a "stupid boating" story book!
Bryan
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#23 Post by lakerunner » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:14 am

If your ramp is not steep like ours when you hit the stops just leave it in gear as she pulls up the ramp. As soon as you start to hear the prop breaking loose kill the motor. This way no getting feet wet.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

curtiscapk

#24 Post by curtiscapk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 am

Wow Roland you guys did great by yourselfs, not sure if me and my Captain could pull it off that easy.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

WaltF

#25 Post by WaltF » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:18 am

So... ahh.. Dawg...
You left the ear muffs on?

BAAAAWAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Doooode! Thats the best one ive heard yet!! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

ROLAND

#26 Post by ROLAND » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 pm

I thought maybe I backed the boat into a stump or something, pulled it out.
Transom Straps were on yet.... :oops:[/quote]

Well as a newbie, I've gotta ask about Transom Straps. Obviously the name alone tells me what they are, but here again, don't have them on my toon... should I? Only thing holding my toon on the trailer is the winch strap and the weight of the boat. oh, and the motor. when we were demoed a pan fish boat I saw tie down straps on the back of that boat, but havent seen any on the toons at the boat dealership... This is frustrating?
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

toondog

#27 Post by toondog » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:39 pm

ROLAND wrote:I thought maybe I backed the boat into a stump or something, pulled it out.
Transom Straps were on yet.... :oops

Well as a newbie, I've gotta ask about Transom Straps. Obviously the name alone tells me what they are, but here again, don't have them on my toon... should I? Only thing holding my toon on the trailer is the winch strap and the weight of the boat. oh, and the motor. when we were demoed a pan fish boat I saw tie down straps on the back of that boat, but havent seen any on the toons at the boat dealership... This is frustrating?

It's like insurance, you never really know when your going to need them. On my previous toon, I popped a curb while making a turn. The rear of the boat jump on top of the bunks and into a roller, putting an dent in the tube. :x .

You just never know when your going to need that extra bit of holdng power. :yeti
Attachments
whatsgoingonhere1022.jpg
whatsgoingonhere1022.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
truck boat wreck.jpg
truck boat wreck.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
96 20 special Grumman 50hp evinrude
13 Blazer outboard jet boat
11 12ft Perception Kayak
18 250 6.7 powerstroke

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

toondog

#28 Post by toondog » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 pm

WaltF wrote:So... ahh.. Dawg...
You left the ear muffs on?

BAAAAWAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Doooode! Thats the best one ive heard yet!! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Woo Hoo...I win! :alright wait...this is the stupid thread. DAMN :nutkick
96 20 special Grumman 50hp evinrude
13 Blazer outboard jet boat
11 12ft Perception Kayak
18 250 6.7 powerstroke

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

GXPWeasel

#29 Post by GXPWeasel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:52 pm

My toon came with them, and I will always use them. Hell, I won't even go the 2 miles in town witout using them. Once forgot to put them on, and instead of chancing it, I pulled over, and put the transom straps on. I guess when you grow up on a ski boat, you get used to them, and think it's weird if the transom straps aren't there.

Now my buddies mastercraft is a different story. Only a small wench cable b/c the boat is so light, but I've seen that thing dance on the trailer going down the highway :scared
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

dockholiday

#30 Post by dockholiday » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:28 pm

Hmm nobody ever left there keys home or dropped them in the lake? I keep mine on the keyring but need to get one or two extra made to hide on the boat. Glad the manufacturers have not put chips in the keys, had one made for the suv and cost over 100 bucks.
doc