Battery

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

pepper1126

Battery

#1 Post by pepper1126 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:59 am

I am a new owner and have a question about my battery, I want to be able to run the main power while stopped for the radio but I am afraid of killing the battery and not being able to start back up. Any suggestions on this?
Pepper1126
2007 G3 Suncatcher 25LX
Yamaha 115 2-Stroke
Lake Lanier, GA

Bamby

Re: Battery

#2 Post by Bamby » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:32 am

Option 1) you could purchase a jumper starter such as the ones some folks carry in cars for emergency non-start situations.

Option 2) You can wire your boat as two separate complete circuits that can be joined or separated by a Perko switch. It is mounted against the back wall in a battery compartment so that it will stay dry and is easy to get to. It's not hard to wire one of these things up, on the back are three terminals, #1 ,#2, both, and off, you’ll need to make two jumper cables, I made mine out of #6 gauge marine wire.

You’ll run a cable from the positive side of the battery you want to start the motor with, to the terminal marked #1 on the back of the switch. You also then run a cable from the positive side of your second battery bank to the terminal marked #2 on the back of the switch. On the common you run the main cable from the engine and connect it to the common terminal on the back of the switch.

Switched to #1 connects the starting battery to the motor and also energizes the boats related wiring specific to the motor. This includes a power circuit to the console for the ignition switch, gauges, the tilt and trim that are necessary for the operation of the boats motor. The control cables and motor related wiring circuit is then run through conduit on top of the center pontoon to point very near where it enters up through cabin floor into the console.

Switched to #2 connects the supplemental battery bank for everything 12 DC powered on the entire boat. All interior lighting, navigation and anchor lights, stereo sound system etc is powered by this battery bank circuit. Most of the wiring for this circuit is run discreetly along the cabin walls on the deck floor as much as possible to the battery bank which is located mid-cabin under a bunk. A large inline fuse is used to join the battery and to protect the wiring both forward to console and back to switch should something somehow short the circuit.

In actual use it’s actually a really simple system that’s almost foolproof. It goes something like this, when leaving boat for home turn Perco switch to off. This protects all the batteries from any drainage from anything accidentally left on. When arriving back to the boat you can either switch it to #1 start or to “both” and you’re ready to rock and roll again. When you’re settling in for the day or evening go back and revert the switch to #2 and everything necessary still works but the starting battery is protected from drainage should you happen to overdo it with your music, lighting or whatever. Switch her back to one or both in the morning and she’s sure to start and you’re ready to rock-and-roll again.

Excerpts Source: http://blog.pontoonhouseboatodyssey.com ... tions.aspx
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

ROLAND

#3 Post by ROLAND » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Pepper... being new to tooning I had the same question myself.... I even considered one of those "jump boxes" and may still buy one, even though someone told me it was an expensive solution to a problem you may never encounter. And of course you always have to make sure it's charged up too... Not too knowledgable about the varying types of batteries out there, but my understanding is that marine grade batteries kind of give you the best of both worlds between a starting battery and utility battery. by that I mean it's designed to still start your boat ( althought it probably isn't as strong as the battery in the family suv ) but still has some longevity to it to allow for tunes, etc. My son carries a jump box on his boat, has never needed it but feels peace of mind with it on board, he also plays his c.d. player the whole time out, however he will reach over and fire up the motor and let it run in idle for awhile to help recharge the battery... and yet there is a third option if you don't want to buy a jump box or keep re-starting your motor, just throw a portable battery operated stereo on board. Kinda like a boom box... we actually had one when we bought the boat and that's what we have used this spring. After loading fishing rods, bait, coolers, etc, it's only one more thing to take along. And you don't have to worry about depleting your boat battery. Just a thought. Myself, more than likely will invest in a jump box sometime this summer.. again, peace of mind issue... plus, i'll have it if I need to jump one of the cars off.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

jafo9

#4 Post by jafo9 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:59 pm

i just added the "Add-A-Battery" kit from Blue Sea Systems. I was a little bit of a pain to get wired in but it seems pretty simple to operate. Set it and forget it. The difference between the regular 2 battery switch and this setup is the addition of an automatic charge regulator. basically, when cranking, the stater battery is isolated from the system, then the starter battery gets the charge from the alternator 1st, as soon as it is topped off (~13.5 volts), the ACR overflows the current to the house battery to charge it. when anchored, with the motor off, all house power is drawn off the house battery and will never touch the starter battery. if you get in a pinch, and the starter battery has a problem, there is a combine setting to tie the 2 batteries together to crank the motor.

since i also have a 12v fridge on board as well as running a stereo which also powers an ipod, i really wanted some protection. some pre-planning will help in deciding what size your house battery should be. you will need to look at the amp draw of all items that will be running and then match that to a reserve capacity on the marine battery. just running a stereo for a few hours really isn't that big of a draw.

good luck.
2003 Premier Grand Majestic 250 PTX Honda 225 OB (PTX baby!)
2002 MasterCraft X30
2007 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki SXR800
2004 Yamaha SuperJet
1989 Kawasaki 650sx
Lewis Smith Lake, Alabama

brumbyvet

#5 Post by brumbyvet » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:16 am

You can also install a Battery Brain. Thats what I did.
2009 Sun Tracker Party Barge, NV Performance Package, 90 HP Merc 4 stroke
36 mph gps...
Cherokee Lake, Tennessee

U.S. Navy 1971-1977

FloterBoter

#6 Post by FloterBoter » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:49 pm

thought about adding a second battery. never did it. i run a massive amplifier through four
high quality speakers, sometimes for 2 or 3 hours before starting up again. never had a problem.
i make sure my battery isn't too old and i bought one of those jumper boxes discussed above.
it stays near full charge for months. haven't had to use it myself yet, but i loaned it to another
boater who's battery was dead and it started him right up. that was on the mississippi river with
a barge not too far away--that guy sure was glad to see me. i was getting the tow rope ready in
case his engine wouldn't start.

edit--by the way, the best thing i ever did for my battery was to install the "ON/OFF" switch right
near the battery, the one that opens the positive lead. i think a lot of these marine starter batteries
lose too much life from the slow trickling they lose sitting between uses.

dockholiday

#7 Post by dockholiday » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:10 pm

I added a 2nd battery, and perko switch a few months back but have not had it out to give a recommendation on it. Just kept the smaller starting battery an added a larger trolling motor type battery.

GXPWeasel

#8 Post by GXPWeasel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:48 pm

I currently only have 1 battery, although it is the biggest marine battery I could find. It says right on it that it is made for starting and trolling, so I should do the job. I do want to add a second battery, and I still may since I have the room for it. I do though ALWAYS take my jumper box with me. This saved my ass twice last year. Once with my boat, and once with my truck. Let me tell you, it's a good $60 to spend to know that if your battery goes dead, you won't have to worry about it, whether it's the truck or the boat.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26