question about a wireless trolling motor on a Pondtoon boat

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Olustee bus

question about a wireless trolling motor on a Pondtoon boat

#1 Post by Olustee bus » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:07 am

I have a Pondtoon boat with a wireless trolling motor which is located on the stern of the boat. (A pondtoon boat is a small, 14 foot pontoon boat).

I like the wireless ok but sometimes in wind, close to shore I had rather have a manual steer ability.

The Pondtoon has a steering system set up to handle a gas outboard motor.

I would either like to rig up a steering system for the trollng motor or have a have a steering handle installed somehow.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
Bus

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: question about a wireless trolling motor on a Pondtoon boat

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:32 am

With the wind you need power to stay in place and your wireless should allow you to be anywhere on the toon and steer it, but for better control you might want it on the front pulling it in to place and it will turn quicker.

I take it your not using a gas motor, in that case I have both, move your wireless up front and get a cheap second one for the back and rig it to steer off the wheel and then all you need to rig the power switch to work from the consoul position.

But it most wind I say you be happy with the TM up front and not need both.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

oldmn19

#3 Post by oldmn19 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:55 pm

I have my wireless trolling motor up front and have not had any problems I couldn't pull out of. I agree with Herb, hard as it is :roll: , that with your situation I would go for a front & rear motor setup, if your budget allows. :2cents
2005 Tuscany TS2286FC by Sweetwater
22 ft, 90 hp 4s Yamaha
Lorance 332c GPS/Fishfinder
Minnkota copilot Trolling motor
3 battery's, tandem axle trailer pulled by 05 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi 2x2.

Olustee bus

#4 Post by Olustee bus » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:28 pm

I can see where you would have much better control with the motor up front. You are pulling instead of having to push the resistance of the pontoons and water and the resistance of the wind.

I will probably try that. This is a small mountain lake. Went fishing today and I spent all my time trying to control the boat while by friend fished.

May in fact look for a cheap trolling motor and see if can rig up the steering. If that works, I may convert my wireless to steering and that way I could have remote power control> but then I could not go backwards. Oh well.

thanks for your response.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#5 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:12 pm

Go find a cheap one used some where, then you can rewire it to control power from the seat, not that long of a wire run so you run the whole head by the seat and fasten an arm on the shaft for the wheel to turn it.

That way you can have one to run there on and use the wireless when fishing, or use both of them to turn it on a dime or go sideways.

Till I got my motor guide, I was using a 30 lbs that I picked up in a pawn shop and turned the handle around so I could steer it with my foot on the handle from the front, it worked on my 20 footer as long as the wind wasn't blowing.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen