Looking for deckboat to fit in 21' deep garage with trailer?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mschmidt

Looking for deckboat to fit in 21' deep garage with trailer?

#1 Post by mschmidt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:08 pm

All,

The title pretty much says it all. Our garage is 21x30 internally with one 16' and one 8' door. I believe to boat will need to be in one of the 16' bays. I was thinking maybe a Hurricane 196 but no dealers are close to go measure the trailer options. If anyone has a deckboat in the 18' to 19' range with a trailer; can you take a quick measurement? I'm thinking an outboard trimmed down and a swing away tongue will be neccessary.

Mike

FloterBoter

Re: Looking for deckboat to fit in 21' deep garage with trailer?

#2 Post by FloterBoter » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:36 pm

:lol3
park that through the front door and you'll have room to put the toon in through the side door.
then the toon can be a long one.

i wouldn't go to a deckboat. heavy, uncomfortable to walk around in.

WaltF

#3 Post by WaltF » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 am

:lol: :lol:
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

GXPWeasel

#4 Post by GXPWeasel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:28 am

You could always get the toon, then angle the thing in the garage. This would gain you a bunch of room, but would mean that you would loose one parking spot for a car of course. Just depends on how much you love your wife, if you make her park outside or you. :lol3
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

Stephen

#5 Post by Stephen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 am

I was challenged with finding a spot for my pontoon. No way in hell it would fit in my garage (and I have a big garage), but it did fit in the drive way. Took up half the house, though, so we store it at a self storage place for $30/month. Not too shabby considering it's in a locked and gated area. Maybe that's something you could do?
Stephen & Gina
"It's Aboat Time"
2007 Godfrey Sweetwater Tuscany Series, 21'
2002 GMC Sierra 1500
Lake Arrowhead, TX

"Work is hard. Distractions are plentiful. And time is short."
-Adam Hochschild

FloterBoter

#6 Post by FloterBoter » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:15 pm

from what i've heard it's best if even gated areas have lights and security cameras.
it's just too easy to pull an outboard or an i/o outdrive off a boat.
we're talking about 5 minutes or so.

Stephen

#7 Post by Stephen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Oooh, I'd be furious if that happened. It's lighted and has security cameras, but the idea of that happening scares the shit out of me. That could happen just as easily in front of my house, though.
Stephen & Gina
"It's Aboat Time"
2002 GMC Sierra 1500
Lake Arrowhead, TX

-Adam Hochschild

buddy19520

#8 Post by buddy19520 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm

The problem that you have is that the boat will stick out 2 feet past the back of the trailer, then the trailer tongue will stick out at least 4 or 5 feet past the prow of the boat.

Before the pontoon, I used to have a Maria bowrider with 4.3 I/O. The boat was 18' 2" long. At the time, I had a 21 or 22 foot deep garage and the only way the boat would fit in the garage was to angle it. This meant that both cars stayed in the driveway.

I would tilt the drive down to shorten it. I also removed the trailer tongue and cut about 2 feet off the non-hitch end and bolted it back together just to get it to fit on the angle. With the short tongue, you had to watch sharp turns so that the winch stand wouldn't hit the truck. Backing up took some getting used to - it was like backing a PWC.

My guess is that you won't find a boat worth using that will fit straight into the garage. Anything that does fit will be very short and probably no fun to use.

Good luck!

Philip

WaltF

#9 Post by WaltF » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:45 pm

Dont b hexing us now Float! :nono :biggrin2
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
Colorado Springs, CO.

FloterBoter

#10 Post by FloterBoter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:16 am

it's something to consider.
it happens a lot more than people think.

ROLAND

#11 Post by ROLAND » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:22 am

Stephen wrote: we store it at a self storage place for $30/month. Not too shabby considering it's in a locked and gated area. Maybe that's something you could do?
Stephen, is that "outside" or inside storeage? Down here in Shreveport the average monthly fee for inside storeage is about 125.00 to 135.00 a month with electric. I stumbled onto a local place that charges me 85.00 a month for inside storeage w/o electric. Gated, security camera ( watch dog that's real friendly ). It's a place that has several buildings designed kind of like air plane hangers, completely covered and walled on 3 sides,with one side open. Completely open inside with painted parking spots for everyones boat... each spot is 12 feet wide and 25 feet long. So it's just two rows of boats on each side... I like it cause it keeps my boat out of the weather ( including the sun ). The only thing I hate is it's just alittle bit narrow from one side to the other, making it kind of hard for me to back it completely in... So we just line it up, unhook the trailer and push the boat into the spot, and then turn the trailer wheel and push the tongue over to one side so the boats in on an angle, and gets the entire trailer well into the spot and out of the "driving " area. Boats light so pushing it is no big deal. The only thing I hate about storeing it is having to go get it everytime I want to use it. Wanted to keep it here at the house with a boat cover next to my garage, but a buddy of mine here in the neighborhood discovered squirrels had eaten thru his cover this winter and completely destroyed his seats and carpet. So that's why we keep our little toon in storage....
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Stephen

#12 Post by Stephen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:26 am

ROLAND wrote:Stephen, is that "outside" or inside storeage?
It's outside storage. Inside is around $50-60 here (more for electric), and outside is as low as $25-30. I pay $30 a month just so I don't have to stare at it in my drive way. If I had more property, I'd build a little covered parking spot and park it at home. The only way I could be ok with throwing $85 or even $60 a month into just storage, is if I owned a 2010 Bennington like you do. I think you're certainly doing the right thing, in my opinion.

That said, I keep mine covered, and it has 4 poles that arch it up in the middle, so it will never be affected by rain, sun or snow. I plan on always covering it when not in use, which will hopefully keep mine looking new for as long as I own it.
Stephen & Gina
"It's Aboat Time"
2002 GMC Sierra 1500
Lake Arrowhead, TX

-Adam Hochschild

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#13 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:50 am

Now that Floats got everyone worried I have a question, has anyone made a security bolts to make it harder to steal your drive.

Hell how about loctite red on the treads, then you have to apply heat to remove bolts, I used it on my drive shaft of the race car, you could not remove them till you got them hot with a torch.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

WaltF

#14 Post by WaltF » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 am

--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
Colorado Springs, CO.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#15 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:18 am

I know they have outdrive locks too, but to lazy to look them up again
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen