Boat lift - pontoon support

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Pirateover50

Boat lift - pontoon support

#1 Post by Pirateover50 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:06 am

I am planning to modify my boat lift for a pontoon. I purchased an Avalon 22' tri-toon and will take delivery the end of the month. My concern is with supporting the pontoons. I plan to have the pontoons resting on flat bunks, but the bunks wont' be as long as the pontoons. I may have a 4'-5' starboard overhang and am a little worried about damaging the pontoons. I'm not sure how strong, structurally, the pontoons are. I have seen pontoon boats resting on small supports on each end of the pontoon, I assume the strongest points of the pontoons, but that part would be in the overhang. Any opinions?

Thanks!

dockholiday

Re: Boat lift - pontoon support

#2 Post by dockholiday » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:03 am

I am a big fan of supporting the entire length of the toon. If for some reason you can't get longer bunks, think the weakest point would be the welds that hold the sections together. Always heard that in steel the welds were actually stronger than the steel, but not sure if that holds true with aluminum since I popped off the end cap on one of my logs last year. It separated perfectly at the weld, like popping a hub cap. So if full support is not possible, I would support as much as I could on either side of the seams.

doc

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#3 Post by lakerunner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:22 pm

Most toon lifts here use a flat deck on top of the lift. They have treated 2x4's about a foot apart all the way across the lift and the full length . It gives them room to do covers, work on or under deck and no problem when they launch or load.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

BassFrequency

#4 Post by BassFrequency » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:53 pm

my lift uses a set of 18' bunks to support the toon.
dockholiday wrote:but not sure if that holds true with aluminum since I popped off the end cap on one of my logs last year. It separated perfectly at the weld
that sounds more like poor penetration of a weld
24' 1989 Starcraft 23.1mph gps
60HP Evinrude
'96 GMC Jimmy "The Demon" custom 8 ball lever 4x4
no muffler or cat. just strait to the back

wed

#5 Post by wed » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:01 pm

I had a lift built last fall....the contractor insisted on full length suport for the pontoons. Basically they copied my trailer bunks, brought the welder out and he made a drawing from my trailer. He figured that if it would stand the beating of trailering it should work for a lift. The finished product provides suport a little less than the full length of my toon.

The only thing about a flat lift is that all the weight is concentrated on a single line on the pontoon vs two contact lines if it is built like trailer bunks. Two supports cuts the contact load in half. Since a lot of people have flat lifts not be much of an issue. Just somethng to think about.
2009 Tracker Fishing Barge 21 /NV logs/90 Merc 4 stroke
2007 GMC Sierra
Toledo Bend Reservoir Louisiana (mostly)

smltooner

#6 Post by smltooner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:37 pm

My lift supports hold up the deck, not the pontoons.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

Oldboater

#7 Post by Oldboater » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:39 pm

My lift uses 2 each 3" X 8" pieces of treated wood that are at least 18 feet long. There is a rib along the bottom of the pontoons, this sits on the boards. My pontoons overhang the boards by about 4 feet.

Several Pontoons at my building use two 3" X 8" boards which support the outside of the pontoons (one board on the outside of each pontoon). They just laid the boards used for V-Bottom boats over as far as they would go. Two dock consultants did not think much of these modifications.

One guy bolted boards on the two cross support I-Beams as well as laid over the other two boards.
2010 Starcraft Limited 226 RE CR (22 foot)
90 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke
Ocean City, Maryland

jimrs

#8 Post by jimrs » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:22 am

I used 4ea 2X8's Two on each side and bolted them to the frame. They are 16 feet long and my boat is 22 feet long so that leave me with 6 feet not being supported by the lift. Most of the 6 foot is in the front with a few inches in the back of the toon hanging alone and forgotten. I have experienced no problems with the toons no flat spots or bends nothing. The guy that built mine built my neighbors and he has a 22 foot also the same setup. Again I think we try and make problems when we are not able to use our toons just so we can plan and solve problems in our minds that are not actually there.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

WaltF

#9 Post by WaltF » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:26 am

Supporting the length of the toon just makes sense to me.
Hey Doc, if the end popped off, then it was a CRAP weld job. Regardless of metal type, A REAL weld job would have MELTED the two metals together and it would never pop like that...
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#10 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 am

Aluminum doesn't melt together, you butter it together, now when making missiles we would mill the part so there would be a big v to fill, then you could mill the weld lines away.

Now with steel you can flat weld and grind the weld line away , you do that on aluminum it will fall apart unless you v the joints.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

dockholiday

#11 Post by dockholiday » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:19 am

May have been a bad weld job. I would have thought there should have been some tearing involved, but just came off like a bottle cap. Hope the polished toons didn't have anything to do with it. I am sure a certain amount was removed during the polishing. The adjuster didn't even mention it. Still need a gps to locate the standing timber. Heck after that feel like I need sonar to. All the timber left is now at or just below water level.

doc