16 foot Pontoon-vs-70 HP

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

firewalkerb3

16 foot Pontoon-vs-70 HP

#1 Post by firewalkerb3 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Well I did it, my first Pontoon Boat. I got this boat and it was in bad shape. (16 Foot)
As I have said in the past, I come from a boat world of speed. So I mounted a 70 HP on the back of the 16 foot Pontoon Boat. Rebuild the boat from head to toe, this was a job. But I have a real nice looking fast Pontoon Boat, this baby will fly. I loaded 4 adults and 1 child on the boat for a late night ride on the lake. Well for the first time I cruised the lake at about 5 to 7 MPH. You know what it was a real nice ride, just easing along the shore line enjoying the cool air and the water. Well here were the problem with a 70HP motor on a 16 foot boat shows up. I noticed a change of the sound of my motor. Looking back I could see that the rear of the boat was deep in the water. Water just passes the rear seats. This is not a good thing, and corrective action need to be taken. I slammed the motor full throttle and move ever one to the bow. Well this for some time did not change a thing. We were moving at a snails pace, and the water was not leaving the boat. After around 15 min of intense plowing across the lake, the water started draining of the boat.
Lesson learned; As long as you’re moving along at a good clip the 70 HP was fine. Not what a Pontoon is in tented for. I am now in search of a 40 HP for the small 16 foot. I spent the next day working on the 24 foot my wife and I are rebuilding. So all you Pontoon Boat owners who read this, I know you’re saying “what a bone head” Well my wife beat you to it. The point I’m making is. Speed is not every thing, pontoons are not made to go fast, and I did enjoy the slow cruse I was having. I will try a post pictures of the 16 footer as it looks now, and pictures of the 24 foot as I build it out. If any one knows were a good place for seats, I could use some on the 24 foot. Just Talking.

God Bless, Take Care Mike
This bad boy tried to fire me up, and he was dead wrong.
/snakeal3.jpg][/url]

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:03 am

You need a bigger toon if you want the speed, but even the guys who have the 50 mph toons say most of the time all the fun is had at slow speed or sitting still.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

cuzzx

question

#3 Post by cuzzx » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:14 am

you said;
Well here were the problem with a 70HP motor on a 16 foot boat shows up. I noticed a change of the sound of my motor. Looking back I could see that the rear of the boat was deep in the water. Water just passes the rear seats. This is not a good thing, and corrective action need to be taken.

Or you sure that is the problem? check the logs for water.
The motor should not lower the back end that much unless the toons are real small, like 12 inches.

tooncrazy

#4 Post by tooncrazy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:50 pm

before taking the 70 off check the toons for water i also agree that motor should not pull that toon down, why did it not do it when sitting at the dock, other wise for a little flotation try a water glide underneath that toon would fly otherwise :roll:
Mike Sandy Brent darcie Alex
07 Palmbeach Echelon 115 Opti Max
05 GMC Qaud Cab 1500

firewalkerb3

sinking my pontoon boat????

#5 Post by firewalkerb3 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:33 pm

Toons are day as a bone inside. I dont know why it did this.
This bad boy tried to fire me up, and he was dead wrong.
/snakeal3.jpg][/url]

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#6 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:13 am

Unless you had it tilted up pushing the back down
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

wish2fish

#7 Post by wish2fish » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:27 am

well I guess we can assume this is an older toon with small logs....maybe 19".

Check the weight difference between the motors your talking about. Switching from a 1985 70hp evinrude to a 1985 40hp evinrude only will only get you 50lbs. While it is on the back of the boat you can do the same by eliminating or moving some of you equipment/supplies or removing an adult.

I think something eles is up also.