Camping enclosure

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

hitime

Camping enclosure

#1 Post by hitime » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:07 am

Hi y'all. Noobe here with a question. I have seen pics of toons with a full camper enclosure. I have looked to see where I could get one, but can't find a place that sells them. Anyone have any ideas? Wife and I are looking into taking the boat on a river trip (about 100 miles or so) from where we are to a big lake, and we want a full enclosure for the trip. Kinda makes it like a soft-side houseboat. Thanks for looking.

hitime

leon phelps

#2 Post by leon phelps » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:29 pm

Best bet is to have someone make one for you locally. It is pretty involved to buy one that will fit properly. While most toons are 8' wide, your toon will have lots of things to consider when getting one. These would be placement of the poles for when the top is off, screens, doors, zippers, storage of the top (whether through boots or where it will stow away) and so on. This is why an off the shelf is not your best bet. Screens, doors and zippers are important aspects to consider if you would like to enter or exit with the top up.

You also need to consider material. Some will breathe and some will not. The ones that do not are water tight, but may grow mold. Sunbrella is not water tight, but it is good enough and will not grow mold on it because it breathes.

Good luck.

satch

#3 Post by satch » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:04 pm

I agree with having one special made...I just had one made for my 30'...it has an upper deck that measures 8'X12'...so we had an enclosure made for enclosing the area under the deck and then a cap that covers the front but not high enough to walk around under...the cap zips up to the main enclosure so that you can get out on the front couches and sleep and stay dry or warm just not the high enough to walk around...it was made using the sunbrella fabric with some special thread and i forget the name of the clear windows material but it too is suppose to be scratch resistance plus anti fogging...screens are made into the sides and front and back....excellent visabllity ....the windows zip up and then there are privacy curtains that go on that you can use with the windows up or down....we love the entire job but it does get pricey, we spent right at 4 grand but i think we did the right thing spending a little more but in the long run i think we will be happier with this than if we had gone with a cheaper product....
'87 LakesCraft, BeachComber I/O --- Charlotte NC---lakes Norman, Wylie, Mt. Island, Tillery and Badin

Pop24

#4 Post by Pop24 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:55 pm

Satch,
Ours is made out of Sunbrella also. The plastic is called Eisenglass.

Hitime, check with any of your local boat dealers they all usually have a canvas person they deal with.
"My drinking friends have a lake problem"
2006 Bennington 22' TripleToon,Yamaha 150

paulangelo

#5 Post by paulangelo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:47 am

kind of looks like mine!!

Love the sides, works well UNLESS you are in a torrential downpour for 12 plus hours. Went camping during one of thouse and had a few "little" leaks. :roll: