Replacement wood trailer guides

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dennis

Replacement wood trailer guides

#1 Post by dennis » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:15 am

I was about to go to the lumber yard to pick up and replace the carpeted 2X4 wooden guides on my Haulrite pontoon trailer and remembered hearing NOT to use salt treated wood b/c it would eat into and corrode the aluminium pontoons! I keep my pontoon and trailer in a barn and use it on the upper James River in Virginia which is brackish. I was about to get the salt treated wood until I remembered this bit of info. Does anyone know if this is true? I even tried finding haulrites web site to ask them and they had a message saying not to contact them about boat trailers b/c they don't make them!! Dennis in Va.

dockholiday

Re: Replacement wood trailer guides

#2 Post by dockholiday » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:47 am

Not sure what the treated wood is treated with chemical wise but if you are concerned why not just replace with glide on or rollers.
Never had any problem with the wood bunks, I have had on my boat trailers, guess it is treated wood under the carpet.
http://www.easternmarine.com/Boat-Trail ... nk-Covers/
doc

chill'nthemost

#3 Post by chill'nthemost » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:32 pm

I don't know about the wood on the east coast but..... I was told P/T treated wood is made from sap woods like pine, which is soft and can easily be treated. I used a heart wood (douglas fur) and then put a brush on wood preservative. Take a look at the "recovering bunks".
1998 Sun Tracker Party Barge 25ft, stern drive 3.0 Chevy
Unfortunate member Parent's of Murdered Children

I love my country, it's the government I fear

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#4 Post by lakerunner » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:21 pm

The new chemicals they treat wood with today is bad for aluminum in DIRECT CONTACT. If you put a coat of carpet glue and then carpet you have no worries.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller