How can I put a television on a pontoon boat? Isit possible?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tkrein

Re: How can I put a television on a pontoon boat? Isit possible?

#16 Post by tkrein » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:51 pm

thats not a ad idea i like it only thing is you cant sit on the sun deck but if it was to rain just close here up nice.
2017 Bennington 22ssrx
115 Yamaha
karavan Trailer
2014 Chev tahoe

MovinFr8

#17 Post by MovinFr8 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:22 pm

I imagine if you rebuilt the entire deck to hold the weight of an tv anyway you would have a board thick enough for you to sit on....... maybe not walk on but I am sure you could sit with minimal worries.

dmn8

#18 Post by dmn8 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 pm

These are weather proof and made for the elements.

http://www.sunbritetv.com/products.asp

OlJim

#19 Post by OlJim » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:09 am

Ok, so I went to Best Buy and bought the Slingbox, $299 + tax. Couldn't get it to work with a wireless setup so I bought the Slinglink turbo, $89 + tax. Picture was good but not great as long as I was on my home network but was terrible when I tried to use my EVO phone with Sprint Hotspots. I tried to download Slingbox Mobile for Android but couldn't get that to work either, whole mess is going back today. I am now looking at the Vu Qube 3000 in motion satellite dish, a little more cost at around $1300. I rent a slip that has ac available and have 2 Honda 2000 generators. By the way that is a really nice setup on that generator you have there.
2007 Suntracker PB 22
Regency Edition
MororGuide TM 55lb. Thrust
With Wireless Remote
Humminbird 737 Locator With GPS
90 HP Mercury

timklegin

#20 Post by timklegin » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:22 pm

Hey there everyone. What are your thoughts on this?
The name of the company is Toon-Industries and they have a TV mount made for pontoons. The unit can also serve as multi-purpose and the removable base mount can be mounted on Picnic Tables and deck railings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsqGBI1W4YE

steve1313

#21 Post by steve1313 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:45 am

dmn8 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 pm
These are weather proof and made for the elements.

http://www.sunbritetv.com/products.asp
As a bit of background, I have worked in the AV industry for the last 20 years. Half in the residential space and half in the commerical space. As a result I'm pretty familiar with outdoor TV options and there are a few things to consider.

1) Power - you'll want a TV that operates on 12v. There are lots of them that do. They are primarily designed for the RV industry. That eliminates the need for a generator or inverter.

2) Brightness - just about any regular TV isn't going to be bright enough to really be usable if you're outside. Even shaded under a bimini top will be too bright for most TVs. I have a Sunbrite TV on my patio and even though the patio is completley covered and the TV doesn't get direct sun, it's not bright enough because of the reflections on the screen. I have the Veranda series and it's 400 NIT (brightness measurement). A regular indood TV is about 200-250 NIT.

3) Weatherproof - I'm not aware of any TVs that are rated for outdoor use and are also 12v, so if you want something like the Sunbrite you'll most likely need a generator or inverter. FYI, I found this website which seems like a great source to compare brands. https://www.weatherprooftelevisions.com/

If you don't need it to be weatherproof, but want to make sure you have enough brightness, take a look at commerercial grade digital signage displays. They'll give you the brightness you want at less cost than a fully weatherized TV.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

timklegin

#22 Post by timklegin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:55 am

Appreciate your background. You might be over-complicating the simplicity and ease of a TV on a pontoon, not to mention massively increasing the cost of having a TV on a pontoon...

1). All newer boats since about 2010 (maybe earlier come with 12v). A generator is not needed and a power inverter is only about $40. Since you are in the TV business you know the power requirements to power a TV are very low. You can power a TV very easily with minimal battery drain.

2). Brightness - You are correct that if you want to do it right to a Sunbrite. However, it is pretty surprising how well a $400 looks. If you position it correctly under the bimni top and you have shade the brightness is pretty good.

3) . Weatherproof - Did you watch the install video? It takes about 1 minute to set the TV up on the boat (if you leave the fixed base on the boat it takes even less time). A 43" TV weighs about 20 lbs so moving it on/off or storing it on the boat is very simple. My sense is most people will watch TV while anchored, at a sandbar or beach, at the dock, or under their boats canopy.

Finally, people have expensive phones, expensive tablets, and other things they bring on boats that shouldn't get wet all the time. A TV on a pontoon is no different. Don't do anything stupid to get it wet.

steve1313

#23 Post by steve1313 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:06 am

timklegin wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:55 am
'..............You might be over-complicating the simplicity and ease of a TV on a pontoon, not to mention massively increasing the cost of having a TV on a pontoon...
I wasn't trying to over complicate it, just trying to present complete and accurate facts!

The power and weatherproof issues are minor. Brightness is the big key. You're right that in the shade most TVs look OK, but the reflected glare is what causes the most problems. The only way to overcome that is with an image that is brighter than the glare. I have a Sunbrite Veranda Series on my patio. The area is fully covered and shaded. But there's a white vinyl fence about 25' away. When the fence gets full sun, you can see the white fence on the TV screen like it's a mirror. I borrowed a very bright display (2500 NIT) and set it up next to my Sunbrite (about 400 NIT). The brighness of the image overcame the image of the fence and it looked perfect. Like Tim Allen used to say, sometimes you just need "MORE POWER" :lol3
Steve

bansil

#24 Post by bansil » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:39 am

timklegin wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:55 am
Appreciate your background. You might be over-complicating the simplicity and ease of a TV on a pontoon, not to mention massively increasing the cost of having a TV on a pontoon...

1). All newer boats since about 2010 (maybe earlier come with 12v). A generator is not needed and a power inverter is only about $40. Since you are in the TV business you know the power requirements to power a TV are very low. You can power a TV very easily with minimal battery drain.

2). Brightness - You are correct that if you want to do it right to a Sunbrite. However, it is pretty surprising how well a $400 looks. If you position it correctly under the bimni top and you have shade the brightness is pretty good.

3) . Weatherproof - Did you watch the install video? It takes about 1 minute to set the TV up on the boat (if you leave the fixed base on the boat it takes even less time). A 43" TV weighs about 20 lbs so moving it on/off or storing it on the boat is very simple. My sense is most people will watch TV while anchored, at a sandbar or beach, at the dock, or under their boats canopy.

Finally, people have expensive phones, expensive tablets, and other things they bring on boats that shouldn't get wet all the time. A TV on a pontoon is no different. Don't do anything stupid to get it wet.
Welcome to the site, a regular TV on anything outside is not viewable....unless you're in a cave drop in Venezuela.

At night any tv works.

You can just "cast" your phone to a smart TV, ....nowadays .....10 years later.

Notice last statement? You pulled a 11 year old post and even want to compare the technology? And from the perspective of a client to customer? You have to look at all angles.

SO, what do you want to do?

The video you posted is straight forward, an ad that works.....why ask what others think 🤔

It's a mount ,TV etc

I just grab the TV, set on cooler and cast to it :thumbsup
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

riplipper

#25 Post by riplipper » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:31 am

Does anyone even watch pro football anymore?????
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Rick McC.

#26 Post by Rick McC. » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:22 pm

12 volt TVs are available. My Dad used to keep one up at our hunt camp, and he powered it with a couple of 12 colt car batteries that he kept changed with a solar panel setup.
A 32” set should fit in a kitchen garbage bag for quick water proofing if a storm should blow up. Otherwise; just tell the swimmers to keep away from it.

You’ll need access to wi-fi unless you have a satellite receiver. Easiest way to do that is probably by making your phone a wifi hotspot. Just be sure you have a large or unlimited data plan for that phone.

That said, we rarely ever turn on the nice stereo in our ‘toon, because we much prefer the sounds of the wind and waves. So, we damn sure aren’t putting a TV on the boat.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

Rick McC.

#27 Post by Rick McC. » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:27 pm

riplipper wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:31 am
Not since the first time their pampered, overpaid knees hit the ground!
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

steve1313

#28 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 am

Rick McC. wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:27 pm
riplipper wrote:

I watch it! And why do we always criticize people as being "overpaid". I don't care if you're an athlete, entertainer, CEO, entrepreneur, or whatever. If you make millions, it means the market thinks you're worth that. That's the beauty of the free enterprise system.
Steve

steve1313

#29 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:12 am

steve1313 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 am
Rick McC. wrote:
riplipper wrote:

I watch it! And why do we always criticize people as being "overpaid". I don't care if you're an athlete, entertainer, CEO, entrepreneur, or whatever. If you make millions, it means the market thinks you're worth that. That's the beauty of the free enterprise system.
Steve

steve1313

#30 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 am

Rick McC. wrote:
riplipper wrote:
Steve