2 or 3 toons?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jnasgo

2 or 3 toons?

#1 Post by jnasgo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:12 pm

Greetings everyone....
I'm new to the site but am thrilled by the enthusiasm about pontooning and all the information. My wife and I are thinking about buying a pontoon boat. What are the advantages to 3 pontoons vs. 2? We are mostly concerned about stabilty/safety (as we have a young daughter) and not so much high performance. I thought I'd ask the experts as I'm getting a little tired of what dealers are telling me. We are considering the Bennington 2275 Gsi. We would like to use it for skiing, tubing, fishing and cruising. Also, a particular package/boat I have recently seen at the local boat show has a 115 horsepower mercury 2-stroke. I was surprised as I thought 4 strokes were all the rave - more efficient, cleaner, quieter, etc. Any thoughts on Bennington as a brand would also be appreciated (including how to talk a dealer down on his price.) Thank you to everyone

leon phelps

#2 Post by leon phelps » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:05 pm

If you have a daughter and are not concerned about performance, then get a four stroke. They will be quieter and get better fuel economy. You would like to get the third toon, since the four strokes are heavier. I you are not going to be whipping on the boat, the third toon would only be needed for the extra weight of the four stroke.

I really have no experience with Bennington.

As for the package I would recommend, 4 stroke, three toon, bimini cover, swim ladder.

Good luck.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:34 pm

Or just as quiet and good fuel mileage get a E-TEC 2 stroke and save the weight for friends, also doesn't need maintenance for the first 3 years.

3 toons are more stable and Bennington is a good make of toon

Most will tell you to get the biggest engine you can afford because it's cheaper than getting a bigger one later if your not happy.

Now you hear 2 vs 4 stroke so you get the whole story, we have people who are happy with both of the new engines
Last edited by HandymanHerb on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

jnasgo

2 or 3 toons?

#4 Post by jnasgo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:44 am

Thanks for the replies fellas!

paulangelo

#5 Post by paulangelo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:02 am

3 toon is a definite. I had a 2 and had the 3rd installed. the 2 or 4 stroke is a personel preference. I have a 2 stroke and like it. Very dependable and easy to maintain. 4 strokes are quieter but I just crank up the music. All pontoon makes are good now a days and Bennington in the front of the pack.

monksblood

#6 Post by monksblood » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:19 am

go for the 4 stroke and the biggest motor you can afford. The kid and friends will want to tube in a few years

Lindsay90

#7 Post by Lindsay90 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:37 pm

monksblood wrote:go for the 4 stroke and the biggest motor you can afford. The kid and friends will want to tube in a few years
X2 here love the 4 stroke but I live in comiefornia so just did not want to deal with some lakes not letting me in. I have a 75hp on my 20' pontoon. My next pontoon will be one with a bigger motor for sure cause my kids are getting older and love that tube!
2003 Fisher Liberty 200