Anchors?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

pontooning

Anchors?

#1 Post by pontooning » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:16 pm

We would like opinions about anchors for a 20 ft. pontoon.

Some people have said make your own with cement, but others have said that the homemade cement type will not hold on the bottom well.

Some have been unhappy with commercial anchors.

One person said to buy an anchor with wings.

Websites would also be helpful.

Thank you for your assistance!

This is our first pontoon and we have no past experience.

We will be boating on a Southern Indiana lake.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:34 am

I would go to wally world and get a modified mushroom type, it has 3 flukes cut into it and rope 3 times as deep as the water your in.

Pontoons catch a lot of air , and it doesn't take much breeze to get it up to 2 mph, great if you want to troll across the lake.

Just remember that toon can blow away from you quick if your in the water swimming, so leave someone in the toon that can drive back and get you or anchor the toon when swimming in the middle of the lake.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

t_birder

ANCHOR

#3 Post by t_birder » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Hey there,
I've had about every thing from window weights, to blocks, to practice bombs, to store bought anchors. Fot the type of bottom here in my area (soft mud) none of them worked worth a darn. I finaly made the MAC DADDY of soft bottom anchors. It's made of aluminum, and wieghs in at a whopping four pounds. I reversed the "flukes" to give it a wider stance for gripping into the mud, and put several feet of heavy chain to sink it and help give it a "quick set" when we throw it out. We have that hooked to 100' of 5/8 floating anchor rope, and that ataches to the boat via 12' of dual 1/2" shock cord.
We regularly have six to eight boats at a time off my anchor alone, and it's yet to let go.
ClintImage

mike
Site Owner

#4 Post by mike » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:55 am

Nice looking anchor! I have a fluke type anchor as my primary and a mushroom type one for the front to keep the boat from swinging around. The secret of the fluke type anchor is to have enough rope to get a nice angle on the anchor so you are pulling it over the ground not up! Overtons has some called the super hooker that seem reasonably priced! Both of my anchors came with my boat!
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho