Towing/Boat ramps with a Jeep

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

EastMark

Towing/Boat ramps with a Jeep

#1 Post by EastMark » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:26 am

Glad I found a toon forum. :)
Just researching to jump into the game in the spring. I have a Jeep Liberty that is the smaller Jeep like the old CJ-7 only a bit more finished. I was surprised to find out it is rated to tow 5000 lbs but question the real world feasibility of that. We wouldnt be towing far so im thinking its not ideal but at least safe.
Anyone had any experience with towing with a Jeep ?
Im looking at Avalon BTW. Whats the general thought on Avalon amongst the enthusiasts here ?
Mark in Maine

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:51 am

I towed with my Dakota and it was rated the same, you will notice a differance at speed, it's like pulling a paracute.

I had one problem when I dropped the trailer off the end of the ramp and had to get help up the slick ramp, besides that I had no problem.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

EastMark

#3 Post by EastMark » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:37 am

HandymanHerb wrote:I towed with my Dakota and it was rated the same, you will notice a differance at speed, it's like pulling a paracute.

I had one problem when I dropped the trailer off the end of the ramp and had to get help up the slick ramp, besides that I had no problem.
Herb
Thanks. Was it 4WD ?
how bout the Avalon's ? Familiar with them ?
Thanks again.
Mark

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#4 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:58 pm

2WD 318 V-8, that's why I needed help, now I have a Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD so I could rip the axel off my trailer with it.

Avalon's not much besides there a good Pontoon to have, I seen PDB is down today so maybe more will check in, if not join there too the link is at the top of the page under For quicker help on Projects
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen