Trolling Motor Size and Make

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mcconnell63

Trolling Motor Size and Make

#1 Post by mcconnell63 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:24 pm

I want to get a trolling motor for the front of my toon. It's 18' with a yamaha 60 4 stroke. I want to keep the cost down and will probibly go with a foot control. Any suggestions on thrust and brand, I always read that the foot control and the wires get in the way. I went out this weekend fishing with my wife and son, I got zip my son did pritty and my wife, who doesn't pay attention when she fishes, caught about 20. One big cat, a nice slab crappie and a mix of bream, crappie and white perch. I sat there and watched my bobber float around in the water. We still had a good time, fresh air and alot of laugths. My wife casts the sinker and hook out, sits down facing the opposite dirrection with her pole sticking straight up and reads a book or takes a nap. My son who is 32 and I don't get it. But it's funny. U GOTTA LOVE LIFE, Thanks, Al

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:45 am

Bigger the better, at least use a 24 volt one, and I have a foot control and it glues you to one spot, If you can swing it get a remote control or electric steered, so you can move the foot control around.

That way you get extra help docking in a wind, if you can run you trolling motor from your helm, foot control works great on a bass boat because you don't have anywhere to go anyway, but have you run back and forth if you don't have help or trying to help someone else land one.

I check later as I don't even remember what's the pounds on mine, but toons will blow across the lake even in a calm wind, so you need one strong enough to fight the wind and it would be better if it could limp you in if you loss the engine, because an oar ain't going to make it.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Snider4

trolling motor

#3 Post by Snider4 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:27 am

I always agree bigger is better, but I don't live by it. My trolling motor is Motorguide 46 lbs thrust with foot control. Unlesss we are in a strong wind I have no problems.
Snider4
Misty Harbor 2080RE
Merc 50
Sprinter Select 26BH
Ohio

mcconnell63

#4 Post by mcconnell63 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 am

I was looking at the trolling motors on line at bass pro shops. I don't think wal mart would have the item i want. I think a boat dealer might be good but i would have to shop around and have them install it. Al

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#5 Post by HandymanHerb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:32 am

Install is not that bad, but yea have it done if your not sure and don't forget the charger.

I have a 107 lb on mine because I got a good deal on it with a 3 bank charger, they didn't have all the remotes when I bought mine, but I at least want a electric foot controlled one with a long cord, even then you could stick in your pocket and walk around and still control the TM.

Search on line for a deal and then see it someone local can get close to the price or shop and install price and order it on line.

lakejumper

#6 Post by lakejumper » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:35 pm

I have the 12v. 54lb Motorguide wireless on a 23 foot Sweetwater with a 115hp outboard. it works fine unless there is a strong wind. It came with the wireless foot control and I have a wireless hand-held aka FOB control which I love. I mounted it in the front myself and put the battery in a case up front so it's portable. I also mounted an onboard charger on a portable T type of stand with a 50 amp circuit breaker. I wire the motor to the battery through the breaker and it works great. Heavy guage wiring was expensive and I didn't want to run wires to the back of the boat. I bought the motor and charger at Cabela's. A 24 volt motor will certainly give you more power. I attached a picture of the portable onboard battery charger mount. The breaker is mounted on the lower right side.
Attachments
DSC00719 (Small).JPG
DSC00719 (Small).JPG (66.95 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
2006 Sweetwater 2386 Sport

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#7 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 am

mcconnell63

#8 Post by mcconnell63 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks for your help guys. I'll shop around and keep you informed.