How is everyones lake holding up?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dockholiday

How is everyones lake holding up?

#1 Post by dockholiday » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Heard on the news that Lanier is only 1ft from an all time low. Speaking of news, rarely watch it here. What a mess. Atlanta once was a pretty good place, now you can't walk down the street without an AK 47.
OOOP's got sidetracked a little but, Lake Oconee is holding up pretty well. Here are some lake depths in Ga

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/html/rrm.php

Look like it didn't work so you could just click on it. How do you drag and drop a link?
doc

badmoonrising
Site Admin

Re: How is everyones lake holding up?

#2 Post by badmoonrising » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:30 pm

You have to past it with the HTML tags like so:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/html/rrm.php
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

bug73
Site Moderator

#3 Post by bug73 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:41 am

Our little private lake is holding out pretty good...we have had lots of rain the last couple of days though. We also have the luxury to pump water into the lake with 3 wells dedicated to that purpose so the association tries to keep it fairly consistant.

From the looks of it, the other lake sin the area are doing pretty well also.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward

25 foot Catalina Sailboat

jimrs

#4 Post by jimrs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:09 am

Ours is still dry, they lowered it 7feet starting on july 15th and are going to close the gates in Jan. We have been riding UTV's on the lake and I have found about 6 or 7 large pockets of Salvania still growing in low laying areas. One of these is about 1 acre, The state has not thought to go out on UTV's or ATV's to try and spray these areas. So when the lake comes back up we will have a new growth of it ready to take over the lake again.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#5 Post by lakerunner » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Just fine as of yesterday

Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

limulus
Location: Reside in suburban Atlanta and play at Lake Chatuge, GA

#6 Post by limulus » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:19 pm

Our lake is down about 6.5ft.

bug73
Site Moderator

#7 Post by bug73 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:15 am

jimrs wrote:Ours is still dry, they lowered it 7feet starting on july 15th and are going to close the gates in Jan. We have been riding UTV's on the lake and I have found about 6 or 7 large pockets of Salvania still growing in low laying areas. One of these is about 1 acre, The state has not thought to go out on UTV's or ATV's to try and spray these areas. So when the lake comes back up we will have a new growth of it ready to take over the lake again.
Take some round up to it...that will take care of it.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward

25 foot Catalina Sailboat

jimrs

#8 Post by jimrs » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:57 am

I have sprayed the area behind my house and can't afford to spray the whole lake. There are a lot of areas that hold just a small amount of water that are growing the Salvania. The state said it would keep spraying during the draw down but so far I have not seen anyone doing anything. There are a few areas that you can still launch a boat and get to deep water that's how they were going to spray. Riding the UTV along the shore and out 800 to 1000 feet you can see the boat roads and channels are full of the Salvania and no one is out spraying. I think that the state just figured that the way to shut up the people is to do a draw down and no one will see the crap is still in the lake.
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

dockholiday

#9 Post by dockholiday » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:26 am

Surprised the State would do some spraying the way things are today. The Environmentalist are so crazy these days, afraid some tadpole might become extinct. That's is a whole other issue in it self. Seems like we have become a nation of fruit cakes, hope the US can get back to some logical thinking but don't think I will see it in my time. Saw most of this crap coming since the 70's and it just seems to get worse every year. Hope this isn't the biblical end, but it just looks that way with every coming year. Just hope they wake up before it is too late.
doc

jimrs

#10 Post by jimrs » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:25 am

The state had no other options but to spray. This stuff has spread to a lot of waterways in the southeast and south and has to be killed or it will ruin all lakes and ponds. It kill's all the fish and the lakes for boating. They have released a bunch of weevels in the lake to eat it but it's a long battle.
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

dockholiday

#11 Post by dockholiday » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:15 am

The stuff needs to be eliminated, no doubt that is the correct solution. Just surprised some environmentalist group hasn't jumped on the anti-spray bandwagon, much like when the US goes to war, there are a certain part of the US that wants us to use rubber bullets so no one can get hurt. Until we eliminate this type of thinking the US will never win another war.
doc

limulus
Location: Reside in suburban Atlanta and play at Lake Chatuge, GA

#12 Post by limulus » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:15 am

It is very important for people to thoroughly clean their boat hulls when they travel from lake to lake. That is one way this stuff spreads.

scfishnman

#13 Post by scfishnman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:30 am

Lake Marion (SC) is still down 5 ft which is significant for a large lake with an average depth of 28 ft. It is better than this time last year when it was down 8 ft and my dock was totally on dry land.
-- Aqua Patio 240DC triple toon 225 Yamaha 4-stroke
-- 17' Polar Kraft w/ 75 hp Evinrude Etec
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX HO

dockholiday

#14 Post by dockholiday » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Good point on the average depth. Guess it has to do with the topography in which the lake is situated. Laniers max depth is 160 ft (probably at full pool) not sure about it avg depth. We are getting a little spill over (boater wise) from Lanier being down. This past summer had a guy come up to me while I was fueling and ask where the lake was and location of boat ramps. I just told him he could follow me if he wanted to. Lake Oconee releases water into Lake Sinclair during peak power times and then pumps back into Oconee during off peak times, typically the lake fluctuates only a foot and is holding it own during this drought. Hope Lanier and the surrounding lakes get some more water by this spring.
doc