A ladder, a ramp, or both?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

RonKMiller

A ladder, a ramp, or both?

#1 Post by RonKMiller » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:15 pm

It looks to me like almost all swim ladders are mounted on the stern of pontoons, but since most of the activity on mine will be on the bow I'm gonna need a ladder that doesn't requires stand offs. Haven't got that nailed down yet - I've only got one entry gate right in the middle of the bow, but I'll probably go with a telescoping ladder that mounts UNDER the deck. Maybe install a couple of gas springs to stabilize it 15 degrees out from vertical when deployed.

I was thinking a 10' ramp sure would be nice to haul stuff back and forth while beached. Since we'll probably spend 2 or 3 nights in a row at a good site there will be a lot of walking back and forth to the fridge for ice cold adult beverages, Haagen Dazs dark chocolate/almond ice cream bars and firewood.

Do you have both on your boat, and if not, how do you get onto the beach?

What other methods have you used to gain access, not necessarily "marine" born and bred? (No knotted ropes or rope ladders, I'm getting too old for that...) :mrgreen:

I seriously considered a deck hatch with 45 degree ladder but am too far along to incorporate it into the design at this point. It would have been way cool to swim UNDER the bow then simply walk up a few steps! :alright