Best pontoon for rough lake

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tcitruck

Best pontoon for rough lake

#1 Post by tcitruck » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm in the market for a new pontoon boat. I have a 24ft. Bentley for our summer home on an inland lake in Mississipi...a small private ski lake and we use the Bentley there. We are building on Lake Pontchartrain and I think I need a little more boat. I would like a tri-toon with I/O for when it gets rough and for fishing the bridges. I also will need a boat lift....

Any ideas?

captainjack

Re: Best pontoon for rough lake

#2 Post by captainjack » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:34 pm

tcitruck wrote:I'm in the market for a new pontoon boat. I have a 24ft. Bentley for our summer home on an inland lake in Mississipi...a small private ski lake and we use the Bentley there. We are building on Lake Pontchartrain and I think I need a little more boat. I would like a tri-toon with I/O for when it gets rough and for fishing the bridges. I also will need a boat lift....

Any ideas?
Playcraft is nice with longer bow for rough water. I had a landau at one point an blew all the tin of the front in rough water. I am sure other brands offer this by now.
2008 Playcraft Extreme 2600
2008 300 Mercury Verado
2008 Bear Trailer
Iowa

bes2767

#3 Post by bes2767 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:28 pm

I run the Mississippi river with very rough waves, and have owned a 2003 Lowe 27' twin toon with lifting strikes, with 115hp Johnson, a 2007 Playcraft 2400, tri-toon and lifting strikes with 150 Honda, and now my 2010 Playcraft 2300 with 250 Mercury, and hand down, go tri-toon with lifting strikes. The setback Playcraft design is an absolute delight to run in 4 to 5' wake from large cruisers!
2011 Playcraft 2300 w 250hp Verado Pro
Our Live Rivercam: http://www.iowaponds.com/rivercam.htm

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:45 pm

+1 on the tritoon w/lifting strakes. I'd also go 25' or longer with a 150 hp or more engine. Many brands will meet your requirements. Manitou has a extra heavy stressed model for offshore use.

And, be sure to carry a great GPS unit and depth finder. While it's very large, Lake Ponchatrain is very, very shallow. It would be nice to be able to plot your course coming and going, and know where the shallowest areas are. You've also got to deal with crab pots and other fishing items. Carry a spare propeller.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

bassn386

#5 Post by bassn386 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 am

Check out the Bennington 2575 RCW with ESP and lifting strakes and rough water package, underskinning. Lake of the Ozarks is known as one of the roughest lakes around because of being fairly narrow and rock bluffs and sea walls that reflect large waves and wakes. The triple logs seem to eat up the large waves and spit them out the stern.
I would find a dealer with the boat you want that's close to/on Lake Ponchartrain and take a nice long test ride.
Also because Ponch is fairly shallow you might also consider an outboard. My boat is rated for up to 350 HP, but I had them hang a 225 Yamaha, partly because of cost and partly because of fuel consumption. The draft on mine is 22 inches.
You might want to go to a marina on the lake and talk to some of the pontoon owners and get their take on things. Us toon owners tend to be a pretty friendly lot and are most usually more than willing to share our experiences. You might even get an offer to come along for a ride.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Hermy

#6 Post by Hermy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:41 am

I have a brand new 23' Manitou Oasis V-toon tri-hull with 150 HP and recieved my baptism by fire when caught on the 30 x 10 mile Lake Winnebago last Saturday night. Ran smack dab into a 50 mph gust front and whole lake turned into 3 to 4 ft white caps quickly. Although thoroughly drenched I was able to travel 10 miles home and never had the feeling that I was in trouble. I was able to run the storm in full throttle. My research up front about rough water concerns proved sufficient.

robster

#7 Post by robster » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:28 am

Hermy wrote:I have a brand new 23' Manitou Oasis V-toon tri-hull with 150 HP and recieved my baptism by fire when caught on the 30 x 10 mile Lake Winnebago last Saturday night. Ran smack dab into a 50 mph gust front and whole lake turned into 3 to 4 ft white caps quickly. Although thoroughly drenched I was able to travel 10 miles home and never had the feeling that I was in trouble. I was able to run the storm in full throttle. My research up front about rough water concerns proved sufficient.
Howdy Hermy- I believe we both have the same boat,post some pictures of your boat when you get a chance. Here's mine,scroll down a few posts.. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9151

Cheers,
Robert
2011 Manitou OasisVP Tritoon w/Yamaha 150

playcat

#8 Post by playcat » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:28 am

Another vote here for Playcraft. The website sucks - but if you can dream it, they will build it! My barge handles cruiser and ship wakes on a narrow river with no trouble. Construction is awesome - kinda need good construction when you build pontoon boats to go 80-100mph!
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

captainjack

#9 Post by captainjack » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:24 am

playcat wrote:Another vote here for Playcraft. The website sucks - but if you can dream it, they will build it! My barge handles cruiser and ship wakes on a narrow river with no trouble. Construction is awesome - kinda need good construction when you build pontoon boats to go 80-100mph!
As I am a playcraft fan I always like to point out there flaws to anyone who may consider them the biggest complaints on mine are the bimini's are junk at over 20mph. Also one exploded going down the interstate in trailer position, there seat fabric fit an finish long term is week to say the least my corner seat in the L couch has been fixed 2 times an ready for a 3rd time. The plastic frame work that the seats are made out of has worped 2 times once it went back to the factory 2 get fixed an did it again. I think they have a week warranty. But all boats do. What I like about them is flash,fast,the built in step by the ladder,ability in rough water. Not trying to hyjack but something I would have liked to know before I dropped that much coin.
2008 Playcraft Extreme 2600
2008 300 Mercury Verado
2008 Bear Trailer
Iowa