Bennington/Sedona Seam Failure- Obvious Thread Problems

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

SailorVee

Bennington/Sedona Seam Failure- Obvious Thread Problems

#1 Post by SailorVee » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Mid season in the fourth season of ownership, my Sedona pontoon boat had several seams come apart which they failed to honor under warranty (I think their warranty is a bit of a joke-caveat emptor) I am fairly experienced with vinyls and thread durability from where I work and found this thread UV failure to be simply due to the use of a very poor quality thread. In my opinion, and the opinion of many in the sail, and related industries the threads should always outlast the vinyl fabric. I am wondering how many others have experienced seam failures in 4 to 7 year old Bennington or Sedona pontoon boats. Also how many others have gotten the run around on their "warranty".

I have been otherwise pleased with the vessel but this is the cheapest thread I have seen on any of the three different pontoon brands I have owned. I was planning on trading it in but after they let me down by failing to honor their warranty I will be trading for something other than a Bennington.

"We are all here because we are not all there"

cvslawrence

Re: Bennington/Sedona Seam Failure- Obvious Thread Problems

#2 Post by cvslawrence » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Hey sailorvee, sorry to hear about your problems. I'm curious who told you that it wasn't covered by the warranty? Bennington has one of the best warranties, if you are the original owner. If your dealer told you that , then you should email Bennington directly. I have not heard of many problems with thread from others on here, so yours may be an isolated incident. Try talking to your dealer again, somebody dropped the ball on you :wink:

playcat

#3 Post by playcat » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 am

On my 1993 Playcraft, the stitching gave out on the seats before the vinyl did - last year. What did you use to protect the seat covering, if anything? Some, like ArmorAll, have been found to damage the thread.
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

PlaynDoc

#4 Post by PlaynDoc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:54 am

playcat wrote:On my 1993 Playcraft, the stitching gave out on the seats before the vinyl did - last year. What did you use to protect the seat covering, if anything? Some, like ArmorAll, have been found to damage the thread.
Lotsa folks aroun' dese parts says dat de 303 protectant is the bestest thin since sleepin' with yer cousin - and not gettin' ketched doin' it!
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p