JC Manufacturing

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

my99svt

JC Manufacturing

#1 Post by my99svt » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:25 pm

First off, I've had this boat since 08 and haven't had any issues til this past summer.
Memorial day weekend I towed down to lake Eufaula and put in only to find it listing to the port side. I thought my wife had just gained weight over the winter. ;-)
After pulling it out later that day I heard water in the tube. When I returned home that tuesday I called my dealer and sent him pictures of a crack I found. He in turn called JC and they told him to have it fixed they would foot the bill. After getting it welded she was good as new again. A month later I noticed she was listing to the starboard side. I knew I hadn't gained any weight so I pulled her out and found another crack in this toon at about the same area. I know I haven't hit anything and couldnt figure out why it was cracking. Anyway same deal I had it fixed at JC's expense again. They told my dealer to check the way it rides on the trailer. I also had the same suspicion. Turns out Yacht club trailers suck balls! The front hook pulled up on the front of the boat and causes it to put extreme weight towards the back of the toons. When the guy welded the toon this time he also welded a piece in to prevent it from rocking anymore.

So fast forward to yesterday when I dropped off my toon for service on the Hondah engine, he had these two beauty's waiting for me, I also took him a can of shark Hyde to treat them right.

Tim
Broken Arrow, OK
Lake Tenkiller
2012 JC Sunlounger Sport 25'
Honda 250 powered
2015 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country Duramax powered

Ray Jr.

Re: JC Manufacturing

#2 Post by Ray Jr. » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:14 am

I hear you completely on the Yacht clubs,(see my Sig) I had one and when going down the road when you looked in the rear view the front of the toon was moving up and down on the trailer, the winch was trying to lift the front of the toon, and there was no adjustment. It also didnt have enough adjustment on the tri-toon kit, so the PTX didnt sit quite right on it either. We took it back to the dealer and traded it in for a Shorelander, much nicer trailer, stronger frame, better brakes, tows nicer and plenty of adjustment to get everything set properly.
Our dealer says they won't even sell the Yacht clubs for toons anymore for the little price difference the Shorelanders are much better trailers.
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shoreland'r dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER

Redneck_Randy
Site Moderator

#3 Post by Redneck_Randy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 am

Ahhh So those tubes at Pier 51 are yours. I was over there last week. Hope the new tubes fixes your problem.

2011 Silver Wave Play 230
Honda BF150
2013 4X4 Silverado

Sailbad the Sinner

#4 Post by Sailbad the Sinner » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Glad to see your post 99, about your trailer being a problem! Got to checking mine- a 2012 Genisis under my JC Mfg 23 Sporttoon, and found it to be an overloaded piece of spaghetti! I could not believe how much flex was going on! The only thing that kept it somewhat rigid was fastening the boat down both front and back to the frame with ratchet tie downs! Got a new Wolverine Trailer coming. That being said, the stated weight by JC is way light for this boat. With the 250 Etec, power steering, options and 55 galls of fuel you must be over 3800 lbs. As for the boat itself, it has been GREAT..turns on a dime, Really! Runs 51.8mph on gps with a real load, has run 52.5 with just me and low fuel.It seems to do about 3.0mpg at 3500 rpm @ 27.6 mph, with a 18'' rebel prop. Furniture is made in house and is covered in super high Quality vinyls and carpet. The U shaped toons do not ever displace water on top like round logs will and no saddle brackets are needed to mount them to the frame. The boat rides high and very dry even in big rough water. We came out of offshore boats, Scarab, Baja etc- and we wanted lots of room but also wanted a boat capable of speed and handeling. It had to be tough to handle big water, Lake O and lake Michigan in our case. After one whole summer of testing toona boats, we chose the JC! Just dont let a dealer put a cheap trailer under it!

MH Hawker

#5 Post by MH Hawker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:42 pm

I will sort of put it like this, one of the most important questions you can ask about any given trailer is how much it weighs, not because of towing but how much steel is used in its construction, its that simple. Personally I wouldn't consider any of them except a Bear trailer. This comes from several years of looking at boats and trailers. Some of the newer ones may be better built, but its not likely. My single axle 20 foot trailer empty weighs in at 829 pounds. Nothing moves or flexes, the very few times I have towed with out the rear strap down the boat sat still. Next time your at a ramp walk around and look at trailers.
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3