I need stereo!

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Toonfisher

I need stereo!

#1 Post by Toonfisher » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:17 am

I was given a pyle (pile) for Fathers day last year. It lasted about 4 trips then just quit. No sound output. About 1 second thru the speakers when you power up then nothing. Everytime you power up 1 second of tunes then nothing. Any ideas? I'll probably try to return it to Cabella's for an upgrade. Anyone know of a good quality unit under about $150.00?
2001 21' Sun Tracker Signature
25hp merc 4 stroke
96 Dodge 3/4t V10
1985 24' Jayco 5th Wheel
Put them all together,what have ya got?
One hell of a weekend!

The_Hellbilly

Re: I need stereo!

#2 Post by The_Hellbilly » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:47 am

My $.02: Sounds like the deck may not be getting enough juice. Run decent size hot and ground wires directly to a battery and recheck before you replace.
Counting all the a$$holes in the room Well I'm definitely not alone

2005 Voyager 22ft Tritoon
2004 Honda 135hp
Strakes, underskinned, aluminum deck, etc.
Towed by: '11 Chevy Z71 Crewcab

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Hellbelly's right. Some of the big power amps require 10 gauge wiring to be efficient. That's why they call them Monster Cables and Hot Wires.

I personally don't want a sound system that takes so much power. I want to be sure that my boat will have a strong enough battery to start at anytime.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Toonfisher

#4 Post by Toonfisher » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks for the input guys. that is easy enough to check out with a couple of jumper wires. Just for more info this is just a small 4 channel by 25 watt cheapo all in one package. Maybe $75.00 online. Certainly no better or bigger than what came factory. When i got the boat the radio worked except the display was out so it was a bitch to tune. I am not an audiophile but i do like jammin to oldies. Thanks again i will check it out tommorow.
25hp merc 4 stroke
96 Dodge 3/4t V10
1985 24' Jayco 5th Wheel
One hell of a weekend!

Texoma Toon

#5 Post by Texoma Toon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Sony makes a very good marine radio that can be had at best buy pretty cheap.
2007 G3 LX 22 Fish & Cruise
90 Hp Yammy
Dual Axle Trailer

The proud American will go down into Obama's slavery without a fight, beating his chest and proclaiming to the world how free he really is. The world will only snicker. - Pravda

Bamby

#6 Post by Bamby » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:52 am

In my observation at least many of the though I hate to say "cheaper" so called marine radios are nothing more or less than the same cheaper radio's some folks install in their cars and trucks. In one example I purchased myself a Kenwood marked marine on the box it came with a clear piece of self stick plastic you were to apply over the top of the unit that supposedly then made it marine waterproof. As such you may actually get a overall better radio buying cheap off the shelf wally world and just replace as it becomes necessary.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

LocoCoco

#7 Post by LocoCoco » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:04 am

From my experience with car audio, I've always found that the quality of the speakers makes ten times the difference in sound quality than the deck. Top-of-the-line speakers powered by a $75 deck will sound better than a top-of-the-line deck powering $20 junk speakers.

The first upgrade my stock boat stereo will be getting are new higher quality speakers. Depending on price, I've had great experiences with Polk so would love to go with them.

The cheap Jensen deck will stay in there until it craps out.

LC.
'06 Odyssey 222C (Tritoon conversion) + '06 Suzuki 40 = Never lose your hat.

Bamaman

#8 Post by Bamaman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Please don't go the big subwoofer route, however.

To us people that live on the water, it's hard to sleep when a boat with a subwoofer is within miles of our house. The barometric pressure can be felt rising before we can even hear the sound.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Toonfisher

#9 Post by Toonfisher » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I got hold of pyle and they told me it was a defective unit. I will trade it in on a sony i've looked at at Cabela's where the original was purchased. No amps, no subs, just tunes. If i cant hear my grandaughter talking its too loud anyway. :biggrin2
25hp merc 4 stroke
96 Dodge 3/4t V10
1985 24' Jayco 5th Wheel
One hell of a weekend!

Chambuzz

#10 Post by Chambuzz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57 am

I bought a Sony deck at Bass Pro in 2010 for about $100. It did have to go back to Sony for replacement after it stopped working before the 1 year warranty was up. The deck would power on and cycle through it's demo on the display, but the pressing the buttons wouldn't do anything. I had to deal with like 3 "supervisors" during the warranty replacement as they kept claiming it wouldn't be covered under warranty due to "excessive corrosion". Funny, the box the stereo came in featured how it was coated with some proprietary stuff to prevent corrosion. Any way, it's been working great since it was replaced, but we make it a point to remove the faceplate when it's not being used.

Also, I just picked up a new set of Polk speakers from Amazon for about $62 shipped. I've only tested them once since I just installed them over the weekend, but they seem pretty good and they look a lot cooler than some of the other marine speakers I've seen for sale.

homey

#11 Post by homey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Best bang for the buck is to get Polk DB series speakers and a Sony Xplod with the built in 52W x 4 (peak) amp. Check ebay for the polks. Sony occasionally has their marine stereos dirt cheap as refurb on their site. Millenea also makes a good cheap unit that takes a USB or SD Card. It came with my Harris and sounds pretty decent for the buck.

http://www.amazon.com/Prospec-Electroni ... s=mil-mr50
2011 Harris Floteboat CX 200 Cruiser
2002 Yamaha 800XLT