Re: Is it me??? Sylvan / Smokercraft Warranty -UPDATED

#18 Post by wishihad » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:21 am

Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 11:44AM
To: Andy Inebnit;iwish4fish@gmail.com
Cc: Andy Wolf; Doug Smoker; PeterBarrett
Subject: Re: RE: Defective seatvinyl
TO: Andy, Andy, Doug, Peter

FYI - Still don't have my boat!!!!!
No call from WaterWorld, Sylvan,.. Nothing!!
Why don't you just send me a check for 17k and you can keep it!!
Oh wait, you already have it while I continue to pay for it!!
How about you send me $1500 to cover the payments I've made while you've had my boat!!
And another $1500 for ruining my family vacation!

That's right you already took my money and got paid in full! After promising "great customer support, blah blah blah...."

____

Andy Wolf andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com
11:49 AM (1 hour ago)
to me, Andy, Doug, Peter

Gregg,
I’m trying to understand why you arecontacting us. Your email includes the 6-1-12 email from Andy Inebnit thatstates that the furniture was delivered and received by Water World on 5-31-12. Have you contacted them? I don’t see anyone from Water World on thedistribution list of your email. Let me know if there is something else thefactory needs to do.

Andy Wolf

Smoker Craft/Starcraft family of boats
Director of Customer Service
p.574.831.7735
email: andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com
Best Value on theWater...from our family to yours.
www.thebestboatbrands.com

____

TO: Andy, Andy, Doug, Peter

THE WARRANTY IS FROM SYLVAN, NOT WATERWORLD!

YOU (SYLVAN) are the warrantor as defined by the Magnuson-Moss Act.

As the consumer, your customer, I expect you (SYLVAN) to resolve my issue per your warranty, not blame your dealer! I expect you the warrantor to follow through and make sure my boat is repaired correctly and that I am happy. If the current dealer isn't getting the job done, I would expect you to find a new dealer, at a minimum to keep me informed and give me options. Not to wipe your hands of me and blame the dealer.

Yes we did call WaterWorld, two weeks ago and again today, both times we where told they are waiting on the welder and wind. Apparently, it was too windy and now the welder got bit by a tick and had to go to the hospital.

I'M SORRY, BUT HOW IS THIS MY PROBLEM!

As for not including waterworld on the email list I figured you would! Don't you communicate with them?
22' Sylvan Tri-toon w/115 e-tec. aka "Mud Flap"

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#19 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:22 am

At this point, I'd be extremely agitated. This is BS. The marine industry is in big trouble and you'd think they'd kiss your ass to keep you happy. :donno :x :x :x :x :x :x
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

bassn386

#20 Post by bassn386 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:07 pm

I can tell you I would think long and hard before buying another Bennington and I would never buy another thing from Midwest Marine in Harrisonville, MO. Minor crap that should have been taken care of very quickly, but no follow-up from the manufacturer and then two doofuses from the dealership add up to a kludge fix with the front gate.
JD Power ratings have to be paid for by the dealership because the screw-ups aren't being transmitted to whoever at JD Power tally's the score.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#21 Post by badmoonrising » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:08 pm

bassn386 wrote:
JD Power ratings have to be paid for by the dealership because the screw-ups aren't being transmitted to whoever at JD Power tally's the score.

JD Powers is influenced by who pays the most in advertising, that's it. Sort of like PDB Magazine and their forums.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

ronb

#22 Post by ronb » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:46 am

This has to be the most mother-lovin' ridiculous handling of customer service that I have ever seen.

What possible excuse did they have that they needed your pontoon at the dealership to match the upholstry? Don't they only offer a small number of color schemes? What value did they find in holding the boat the whole time? I can guarentee that your last email would have been my wife's first email along with requests for a replacement boat (loaner or temporary) as well as requesting how they intend on compensating you for the loss of a product that you bought from them in good faith.

three strikes for Sylvan
RPT performance tubes
poor quality upholstry
horrendious customer service (communication and delivery of goods)

sorry you have to go through this mess..
-ron
2007 South Bay 922CR
Mercury 90hp Optimax
Fargo, ND

wishihad

#23 Post by wishihad » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:43 pm

GOT HER BACK!!
ReSealed and bottom painted the toons and I'm ready to go!
That was the longest 5 months of my life! :drink4 :drink4 :drink4
Thanks for the support :thumbsup
22' Sylvan Tri-toon w/115 e-tec. aka "Mud Flap"

Bamaman

#24 Post by Bamaman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Congratulations. Many people were concerned with Sylvan's customer No Service.

Your upholstery problem could also happen in an automobile. I have a news Lexus IS, and my daughter has no idea how the driver's seat got a 4" tear while we were on vacation. I called Lexus, and all they had was a complete seat cover set--$1700. I got an auto upholstery shop to replace the panel with a slightly different color Ford perforated leather for $185. I'll send the torn leather piece to Leatherique in South Carolina, and they'll custom match stain to match my seat. Leather and vinyl seats can be changed from any color to any color--as can vinyl seating--with stains.

Had you not been under warranty, staining might have been your only alternative short of reupholstering the seats.

I'm glad it's over for you.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

fasterplease

#25 Post by fasterplease » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Smokercraft!!!!!!!!!!!! Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You nor your dealers are doing a great job at warranty!!!!!!!
I was jerked around by the dealer I bought my pontoon boat from last year, and was not happy with the factory rep. I will not buy another product from SmokerCraft or Marshes Marine in Waubashin, Ontario.

Jamie Christie
Fasterplease
Washago, Ontario

smlranger

#26 Post by smlranger » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Sorry you had this problem and there is no excuse, especially in this economy when businesses should be wanting to keep their customers.

That said, I've owned boats and RV's and, generally, have learned that your best bet is to shop for a good, reliable local dealer. The only exception was Ranger Boats who always provided stellar customer service.

I bought a new Sylvan, my first, from a local trusted dealer. I've had no real problems with the boat except for a defective captain's chair at the helm. My dealer replaced it in a couple of months after I got the boat. Sylvan was also very slow to respond to my technical questions about adding a third log to the boat but my dealer eventually took care of it and did a fantastic job adding the new center log.

So for me, my level of satisfaction with my boat is more related to the quality of the dealer I chose rather than the manufacturer. In fact, the other local dealer I talked to who sold other brands (Bennington, Sweetwater, other Godfrey brands) came across as so useless to me I never gave those brands a second look.
2011 Sylvan Mirage 8520-4PTE tritoon, 25" tubes
2011 Honda BF 115
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

playcat

#27 Post by playcat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:30 am

I agree; my experience has been 1) choose your boat wisely and 2) choose the dealer even more carefully OR expect ZERO warranty assistance!
At least when I bought used boats, I expected to deal with any issues. But with a new boat, like BMR said, you would think dealers and builders would be kissing a lot of asses to get and keep customers! Last dealership I sold at, other salespersons wanted to know why folks from out of state called me to buy boats. I told them it was because of referrals for great customer service. The other salesperson just said, "Gee, I thought you were just kissing their asses."
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA