Is it me??? Sylvan / Smokercraft Warranty -UPDATED

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

wishihad

Is it me??? Sylvan / Smokercraft Warranty -UPDATED

#1 Post by wishihad » Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Short story;
Last summer, 2011 I contacted my dealer about some odd dark spots on my vinyl. The dealer referred me to the manufacturer ( Sylvan, SmokerCraft ) who said they would get this taken care of ASAP, as the plant was getting ready to shutdown for the summer. Not surprisingly, I never heard back from Sylvan, so I re-engaged my dealer and Sylvan this fall and received an email directing me too contact the dealer and coordinate the repair. So I did, and now months later, my boat sits, 3 hours away, while I continue to make monthly boat payments.
To be fair Sylvan did agree to replace the bad seats and one kind of bad seat under the warranty. But, it's the warranty and the fact that Sylvan claims to have a great warranty and spends tons of money advertising it, that has me upset. What they don't say is if you need warranty work it could take weeks/ months /maybe even years atleast at the rate I'm going....

So is it just me?
Last edited by wishihad on Thu May 24, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
22' Sylvan Tri-toon w/115 e-tec. aka "Mud Flap"

badmoonrising
Site Admin

Re: Is it me??? Sylvan has had my boat for two months and counti

#2 Post by badmoonrising » Wed May 09, 2012 6:14 am

I'd be pissed too. For the amount of money we spend on boats and the terrible economy, you'd think boat dealers and manufacturers would kiss our asses. Most don't care after the sale is made. :x

When I have a problem with anything (boat, cars, lawn equipment, etc). I find the highest guy on the food chain I can find and call him/her everyday until they are so tired of me they fix the problem. If something is financed, call the bank and say you're not making another payment until your boat is fixed and see how fast they move.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

wishihad

Re: Is it me??? Sylvan / Smokercraft Warranty

#3 Post by wishihad » Thu May 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Still waiting..

Email chain:

g s< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM
To: Andy Inebnit <andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com>
Hi Andy,
I dropped my boat off at WaterWorld a few weeks ago and I'm having a hard time getting a response or an ETA on my boat. When I called two weeks ago and again last week they said they were still waiting on the interior pieces from Smokercraft. This week I was told twice that they would call me back with an update and they never did. I hate to be a PITA but is this normal? Honestly, I love my boat, but can't see myself buying another SmokerCraft next year with service like this and I'm not just talking about the dealer.
It has been almost a YEAR since I first contacted Sylvan about my boat seats and too date this still has not been resolved, except now I can't use my boat because it's 180miles away at the dealer!!
I'm guessing the dealer is not calling me back because they don't have the seat skins so I'm writing to you for help. Can you please check into this and let me know something? Additionally, can you verify what seats they intend to replace, at this point I would like them ALL replaced or reskined so they match. If there are any options that would help accelerate this process (ie: different color seats, send the seats to me directly for installation, etc..) please let me know. I would like to get my boat back ASAP!
Gregg
[Quoted text hidden]

g s< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM
To: andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com, "brenda.weaver" <brenda.weaver@smokercraftinc.com>
Cc: doug.smoker@smokercraftinc.com, peter.barrett@smokercraftinc.com
Still nothing?
Another week goes by and still no response from you or your Dealer!!!
Wow!!
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: Defective seat vinyl
[Quoted text hidden]

Andy Inebnit< andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com> Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM
To: g s <iwish4fish@gmail.com>, Brenda Weaver <brenda.weaver@smokercraftinc.com>
Cc: Doug Smoker <doug.smoker@smokercraftinc.com>, Peter Barrett <peter.barrett@smokercraftinc.com>, Andy Wolf <andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com>
Gregg,
We are still trying to get information from our vendor to complete the order for the furniture. We did request you contact the dealer of your choice to start the process instead of taking the boat direct to them before anything had been arranged. At this point, we were planning on the two backrests and the sundeck as agreed upon by you.
As for the delay from the original contact, I did not become involved until the February and I cannot speak of what happened previous to this. I have attached my supervisor, Andy Wolf, to this reply also.
Andy Inebnit
Smokercraft Family of Boats Customer Service
email andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com
ph (574) 831-7087
fax (574) 831-7070
http://www.thebestboatbrands.com
New for 2012, Lifetime + 6 Warranty on all brands
Visit www.mydealeredge.com for the details
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:53 AM
To: Andy Inebnit; Brenda Weaver
Cc: Doug Smoker; Peter Barrett
[Quoted text hidden]
[Quoted text hidden]

g s< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Cc: Brenda Weaver <brenda.weaver@smokercraftinc.com>, Doug Smoker <doug.smoker@smokercraftinc.com>, Peter Barrett <peter.barrett@smokercraftinc.com>, Andy Wolf <andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com>
Andy,
So it's my fault it's taking so long?
I did contact them, and I was told they work on a "first come first served basis" and that they needed my boat to start the process.
Doesn't the "vendor" represent you, Sylvan and SmokerCraft?
Don't you, Brenda and the other SmokerCraft employee (can't remember his name, will forward it when I get home) that I spoke with last June, represent Sylvan and SmokerCraft?
I really don't want to get into a pissing contest but implying that the delay and non-responsiveness is somehow my fault is ridiculous and insulting!!
Last June, I was told by a Sylvan employee that he would assist me with this and get back to me 'in a day or two" as it was almost Sylvan's "Summer Break" and he wanted to resolve this before the plant closed down. Only, I never heard from him again!!
Now, you’re saying that Sylvan is waiting on WaterWorld and WaterWorld told me three weeks ago that they were waiting on Sylvan and this is my fault??
As for my seats, the front two backs and bottoms need to be replaced along with the sundeck.
NOT HAPPY!
[Quoted text hidden]

Andy Inebnit< andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com> Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM
To: g s <iwish4fish@gmail.com>
Cc: Doug Smoker <doug.smoker@smokercraftinc.com>, Peter Barrett <peter.barrett@smokercraftinc.com>, Andy Wolf <andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com>
Gregg,
I do apologize for my phrasing. I was not trying to deflect any blame to you or the dealer. I was not aware Water World did not schedule their service appointments. I can only assure you that I have been following up every week on our progress with the vendor to finalize the order to replace your cushions. We are trying our best to keep you a satisfied customer.
Andy Inebnit
ph (574) 831-7087
fax (574) 831-7070
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:14 PM
To: Andy Inebnit
Cc: Brenda Weaver; Doug Smoker; Peter Barrett; Andy Wolf
[Quoted text hidden]
[Quoted text hidden]

iwish4fish@gmail.com< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Andy,
I just spoke with the dealer and they still have not received the interior pieces. It was explained to me that Sylvan did not make my interior pieces and that you (Sylvan) are waiting on a third party. Again, if it would accelerate the process I am open to replacing all the interior even if the new set is a different color than the current, as long as it all matches.
Does Sylvan have an ETA on when my interior will ship and arrive at the dealer?
Gregg Schneider

Sent from my gPhone
[Quoted text hidden]

Andy Inebnit< andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com> Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM
To: "iwish4fish@gmail.com" <iwish4fish@gmail.com>
Greg,
Using a different interior or a different color will not speed up the process. The current furniture will not work with your pontoon nor do we stock extra complete pieces. We did have to make an adjustment because some extra pieces we requested in your last e-mail. We are trying to determine an ETA for you.
Andy Inebnit
ph (574) 831-7087
fax (574) 831-7070
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:48 PM
To: Andy Inebnit
Cc: Doug Smoker; Peter Barrett; Andy Wolf
[Quoted text hidden]
[Quoted text hidden]

iwish4fish@gmail.com< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Thank you.

Sent from my gPhone
[Quoted text hidden]

iwish4fish@gmail.com< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Hi Andy,
It's been another week, do you have an ETA?
Gregg Schneider

Sent from my gPhone
[Quoted text hidden]

Andy Wolf< andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com> Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM
To: "iwish4fish@gmail.com" <iwish4fish@gmail.com>, Andy Inebnit <andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com>
Cc: Doug Smoker <doug.smoker@smokercraftinc.com>, Peter Barrett <peter.barrett@smokercraftinc.com>
Hi Gregg,
We are waiting for some information from the vendor at this point to answer your question. We are applying all means of pressure to expedite. At this point, we can assume at least 4 weeks lead time before your furniture is ready. I know this is bad news but the industry is experiencing extraordinary sales volume and everyone’s lead times are stretching out, this vendor included. We will expedite and ship asap when received. If we get any additional information Andy Inebnit or myself will forward it to you. We will continue to push to improve the lead time.
Andy Wolf
Smoker Craft/Starcraft family of boats
Director of Customer Service
p.574.831.7735
email: andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com
Best Value on the Water...from our family to yours.
www.thebestboatbrands.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:38 PM
[Quoted text hidden]
[Quoted text hidden]

iwish4fish@gmail.com< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 6:42 PM
To: Andy Wolf <andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com>
Cc: Andy Inebnit <andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com>, Doug Smoker <doug.smoker@smokercraftinc.com>, Peter Barrett <peter.barrett@smokercraftinc.com>
Hi Andy,
Thank you for the update, even though I'm not excited about the prospect of waiting another month, I appreciate being kept informed.
On a different note can to tell me how much a replacement sticker for the port side, aft of the door, would be?
Thanks
Gregg Schneider

Sent from my gPhone
[Quoted text hidden]

iwish4fish@gmail.com< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Cc: Andy Inebnit <andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com>, Doug Smoker <doug.smoker@smokercraftinc.com>, Peter Barrett <peter.barrett@smokercraftinc.com>
Any update on an ETA?

Sent from my gPhone

On Apr 18, 2012, at 4:05 PM, Andy Wolf <andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com> wrote:
[Quoted text hidden]

iwish4fish@gmail.com< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Cc: Andy Wolf <andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com>, Andy Inebnit <andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com>, Doug Smoker <doug.smoker@smokercraftinc.com>, Peter Barrett <peter.barrett@smokercraftinc.com>
Any update??

Sent from my gPhone
[Quoted text hidden]

Andy Wolf< andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com> Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Gregg,
At this point, our current info tells us to expect the components from the vendor in on 5-15-12. There will be some time to crate and ship also.
Andy Wolf
p.574.831.7735
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 9:30 AM
To: iwish4fish@gmail.com
Cc: Andy Wolf; Andy Inebnit; Doug Smoker; Peter Barrett
[Quoted text hidden]
[Quoted text hidden]

iwish4fish@gmail.com< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Any update?

Sent from my gPhone
[Quoted text hidden]

iwish4fish@gmail.com< iwish4fish@gmail.com> Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM
Cc: Andy Wolf <andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com>, Andy Inebnit <andy.inebnit@smokercraftinc.com>, Doug Smoker <doug.smoker@smokercraftinc.com>, Peter Barrett <peter.barrett@smokercraftinc.com>
2nd request for an update!!

Sent from my gPhone
[Quoted text hidden]

Andy Wolf< andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com> Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Our vendor told us that they are running behind and would give us another eta, but we have not received it yet. We are checking with them again.
Andy Wolf
p.574.831.7735
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:25 PM
[Quoted text hidden]
[Quoted text hidden]

Andy Wolf< andy.wolf@smokercraftinc.com> Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Vendor has responded and told us to expect them in here by the 30th. I will push for expedite since this is so much longer than we normally expect.
Andy Wolf
p.574.831.7735

badmoonrising
Site Admin

Re: Is it me??? Sylvan / Smokercraft Warranty -UPDATED

#4 Post by badmoonrising » Thu May 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Christ, sounds like what I went through with Tracker when my boat was in the shop and they had different stories every time about delays... :x :x :x :x :x :x
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

PlaynDoc

#5 Post by PlaynDoc » Thu May 24, 2012 6:49 pm

:prayer Please don't let this happen to me... :prayer
(my boat was made by smoker craft too)
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

Bamaman

#6 Post by Bamaman » Thu May 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Sounds as if Smokercraft needs to use another source of seating--one that's not full of excuses.

And as we all know, bad customer service is a "human thing." Someone doesn't have the personal pride to do their job as it should be done. A year is too long--and you're now in prime boating season.

Matching vinyl is not always an easy thing to do. Colors sometimes vary batch by batch. I once had an inboard outboard boat that had to have all the seating restained to get the colors to match.

Sorry for your problems experienced.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

wishihad

#7 Post by wishihad » Thu May 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Bamaman wrote:Sounds as if Smokercraft needs to use another source of seating--one that's not full of excuses.
..................A year is too long--and you're now in prime boating season.
Yup, just had to cancal our yearly Memorial Day boat trip... Our friends, famaily members, and our nine year old and her friends are NOT very happy with me right now!!! :oops: Thanks Sylvan!! :censored

MacToon

#8 Post by MacToon » Thu May 24, 2012 10:18 pm

I'd be very frustrated too. Doesn't speak very highly of Sylvan/Smokercraft's customer service, to say the least. Waiting almost a year, especially for something as simple as pontoon furniture, is ridiculous. I didn't see where he ever answered your question about the sticker for your boat either. Good customer service isn't rocket science.
Mac
2012 Xcursion X-25RL X3
225 Yamaha VMax SHO

captainjack

#9 Post by captainjack » Fri May 25, 2012 7:58 am

Boat warranty = if it breaks in half you get to keep both halves! Boat manufactures all suck IMO the only way I have seen service after the sale is if the dealer gets it takin care of. Goodluck! Sorry ur weekend is ruined!
2008 Playcraft Extreme 2600
2008 300 Mercury Verado
2008 Bear Trailer
Iowa

lx22f/c

#10 Post by lx22f/c » Fri May 25, 2012 7:16 pm

captainjack wrote:Boat warranty = if it breaks in half you get to keep both halves! Boat manufactures all suck IMO the only way I have seen service after the sale is if the dealer gets it takin care of. Goodluck! Sorry ur weekend is ruined!
Not all suck, i can say G3 boats have a very good warranty and they go above and beyond on customer satifaction. I had some warranty work done and when picking my boat up got to talking to the lady that handles warranty jobs. She told me that if other boat manufactors handled warranty work like G3 did she wouldnt have gray hair or ulcers. Lol

ROLAND

#11 Post by ROLAND » Sat May 26, 2012 12:57 am

lx22f/c wrote:
captainjack wrote:Boat warranty = if it breaks in half you get to keep both halves! Boat manufactures all suck IMO the only way I have seen service after the sale is if the dealer gets it takin care of. Goodluck! Sorry ur weekend is ruined!
Not all suck, i can say G3 boats have a very good warranty and they go above and beyond on customer satifaction. I had some warranty work done and when picking my boat up got to talking to the lady that handles warranty jobs. She told me that if other boat manufactors handled warranty work like G3 did she wouldnt have gray hair or ulcers. Lol
Agreed... I took my little bennington in to the dealer because the first time I used the live well, I kept hearing a trickle of water, and the water level in the live well kept dropping... obviously had a leak somewhere.. no biggie since I very seldom use the live well, but when I had the boat in for service last year I mentioned the live well to the service dept. guy.... picked the boat up the next week and all was well, including the leak had been fixed under bennington's warranty...... and I just remembered this... 4 years ago my son bought a brand new benny 2275 RL. The day he was driving it home from the dealership his Bimini top literally "ripped" off.. I don't mean just the material, I mean the metal arms, material, the whole kit'n kabootle.... ( obviously the QC guy at bennington must have been out sick that day ) as soon as it ripped off and hit the highway an 18 wheeler ran over it...before anyone asks, no he did not have the bimini top open..... he said the dealer gave him some crap about replacing it, but he was friends with a guy at the dealership, who talked to his boss, who called bennington and when all was said and done, they put another bimini on at no charge...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

wishihad

#12 Post by wishihad » Sun May 27, 2012 8:30 am

Think I have to agree.
No matter how good the dealer is or isn't, if the manufacture doesn't stand behind their product everyone loses!
An apology and a plan, other than "wait," also goes along way!!

More importantly on this memorial weekend, I want to thank our military famalies for the sacrifices they make and the security they provide!!!

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#13 Post by lakerunner » Mon May 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi Gregg,
We are waiting for some information from the vendor at this point to answer your question. We are applying all means of pressure to expedite. At this point, we can assume at least 4 weeks lead time before your furniture is ready. I know this is bad news but the industry is experiencing extraordinary sales volume and everyone’s lead times are stretching out, this vendor included. We will expedite and ship asap when received. If we get any additional information Andy Inebnit or myself will forward it to you. We will continue to push to improve the lead time.
A

less sales after this might give time for them to catch up
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

wishihad

#14 Post by wishihad » Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 am

MacToon wrote:... I didn't see where he ever answered your question about the sticker for your boat either. ...
Never did. :(

wishihad

#15 Post by wishihad » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:56 am

The 30th came and went without any word.
Sent an email yesterday, still no word.......................