Thumbs up to Bennington!

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Bill1031

Thumbs up to Bennington!

#1 Post by Bill1031 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 am

My boat is a 2275 Rli w/Esp. It is a 2010 and bought it new back in 2010. I had a couple problems with the speedo and it was replaced and no further problems with that. My second issue was the playpen cover. It was way to tight. Bennington told me that I was not using the proper technique for putting it on. Said that I needed to do front and back, then sides. Not possible in my slip. My dealer did what they could and had my cover made bigger. It stuck way up in the air and some snaps did not line up anymore. It also tended to puddle near the rear some. I have lived with it for two seasons and was ready to just go out and buy another cover and in doing so contacted Bennington to see what the new cover would cost. Told me to contact my dealer on pricing but was asked why I wanted another cover. I explained the situation and a couple days later was told a new cover would be installed at no charge! My dealer, Websters Marinia (Lee and Tony) at SML was great! The fit is great and to be honest the cover is better that the original. It has a strap that goes over bimini to hold back part up so water cannot accumulate. Thumbs up to Bennington and my dealer. :thumbsup
Bill & Lynn
2010 2275 RLI Bennington/ESP
150 Yamaha
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

rbiederwolf

Re: Thumbs up to Bennington!

#2 Post by rbiederwolf » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:53 am

Always nice to hear a good review about a dealer and a manufacturer. I generally have found that given the opportunity most will do the right thing. However after reading some off the horror stories on the forum, I count my blessings that I have had good experiences with mine.

Good Job Bennington :thumbsup
If you ain't got the the blues, you got a hole in your soul...

Rick
2007 Avalon Paradise Elite 22 Tritoon
2008 Yamaha 150hp

bassn386

#3 Post by bassn386 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:13 pm

I always start at the rear and then do the sides before snapping up the front of mine because I crawl in and install the poles and then snap the front. Never had a problem doing it this way.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Bassn386:

I'm getting sick of the spiders on the ceiling of my boathouse using my ivory seats to make their "deposits." I've so far found nothing to take out the pinhead size stains.

So today, I put my cover on the boat for the first time. I just about burned up @ 93 degrees--crawling under the cover putting the poles up. And, the boat was in the shade.

I guess any cover that's worth putting up is going to take very strong hands and fingers to get tight and snapped up. But, it sure looks good.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

PlaynDoc

#5 Post by PlaynDoc » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Dont forget to try some lipstick, crayons, and/or candle wax on the snaps.... seems to make them easier to operate.
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

Bill1031

#6 Post by Bill1031 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:13 am

When I put my cover on based on the lift, I have to do the left corner then left side. (no walk way on left) Finish back and then front and right side. On the 2010 cover the thing was tight right from the start. My dealer had sent it out and added about 6" material to the middle, but that was too much. It needed about 2" to the front and they added that a couple weeks later. By adding the fabric some of the snaps no longer lined up with the ones on the boat. New cover is perfect! I can put it on the same as always and still snug but fits great, not to mention all the snaps now line up. Another note, The new cover has or feels like small round foam or something on the sides. I think this seals the sides better from bugs. Very happy with the new cover and glad Bennington made the changes to the cover from 2010 to 2011. Bill
Bill & Lynn
2010 2275 RLI Bennington/ESP
150 Yamaha
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

bassn386

#7 Post by bassn386 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:24 am

Shurhold makes wax to put on the snaps (male end), but I just buy, or have around the house, good old unflavored Chapstix. I put it on last fall and will reapply again in the next month or so. The diameter of the chapstix tube is just big enough to cover the snap and as the chapstix is used you just keep turning the wheel to bring more up.
It really helps when you are straining to get the last couple of snaps done, but you'll notice a real difference on every snap, both for snapping and unsnapping. I bought a tool from West Marine, but I haven't had to use it since I started the chapstix routine.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

dlettow

#8 Post by dlettow » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:20 am

Hey Bamaman, I have the same problem with spiders and found a secret "recipe". Use Spray Nine (I got mine at West Marine) and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, It'll make almost any vinyl look brand new!
2011 Harris Flotebote Grand Mariner 250 SEL 350 Mag I/O Bravo III
2012 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost

ROLAND

#9 Post by ROLAND » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:30 am

Bill... glad Bennington came thru for you... when I bought my benny a couple of years ago, it was supposed to come with 4 fishing rod holders, you know the one's that hold 4 rods per bracket and have those soft rubber inserts to hold the rods.... well when the boat was delivered to the dealer, it came with zero rod holders.... Told the dealer about it and he showed us these very nice high polished metal rod holders that have brackets near the floor of the boat and up higher on the inside of the fencing... but they were about 30 bucks per bracket, alot more expensive than the ones that should have come with the boat.. dealer told me not to worry about it, and instead of 4 bracketds, he grabbed 10 of them and told one of the guys in the shop to go install them on the boat while we waited. We don't use them that much, but it was still nice that the bennington dealer took care went beyond what he had to do to make it right...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

monksblood

#10 Post by monksblood » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:00 am

ROLAND wrote: it was still nice that the bennington dealer took care went beyond what he had to do to make it right...
Good to hear nice stories about dealers. Also the chapstick works for me too
21 ft Sweetwater with a 90 E-tec, looking a bit beat up

JimmyC

#11 Post by JimmyC » Fri May 02, 2014 9:38 am

Stories like this make me so happy that I bought a Bennington. I was wondering what that strap was for in the back. I thought it was to keep the cover rolled up much like the straps on a sleeping bag. I noticed the water build up you were referring to on my cover during the torrential downpour we had last week. I ended up using the strap to keep the water from pooling up by tightening it and positioning the strap in front of the last post instead of over the bimini.
JimmyC
2014 Bennington 2375 GCW w/ Yamaha 150, Sport Performance System Tri-toon

Rascal

#12 Post by Rascal » Fri May 02, 2014 10:22 am

If ya'all had bought a Premier, you wouldn't be having this problem with the tight or loose play pen cover shaps. Premier does not use snaps. They have a better idea and have it patented. They use "J"- clips that hook under the second from the top rail on all sides including the front and rear.

I take it back... they have four snaps at the front gate. Maybe, just to remind us what we don't have to complain about... because we bought a Premier? :donno

Kindly posted in the spirit of helping my fellow boaters out in making their future pontoon buying decisions.
Just thought I'd let you know. :lol3

Rascal
Fishing Year Round SW Florida
Gulf Coast & Pine Island Sound

Premier 22' 2012 Cast A Way
115 hp Honda, 15.5 x 13 prop
Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for
Navigation & Satellite Weather

sunnyside

#13 Post by sunnyside » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Rascal wrote:If ya'all had bought a Premier, you wouldn't be having this problem with the tight or loose play pen cover shaps. Premier does not use snaps. They have a better idea and have it patented. They use "J"- clips that hook under the second from the top rail on all sides including the front and rear.

I take it back... they have four snaps at the front gate. Maybe, just to remind us what we don't have to complain about... because we bought a Premier? :donno

Kindly posted in the spirit of helping my fellow boaters out in making their future pontoon buying decisions.
Just thought I'd let you know. :lol3

Rascal
Hmmm, not so fast. The 2014 Benningtons have the "Quick Clip" option available on the playpen covers. I have them on my playpen cover. It is a "J" type hook which attaches/snaps into a groove on the bottom of the playpen rail. :)
2014 Bennington 2375 RL, ESP Pkg, many options, Evinrude ETEC 225HO

AnchorMan

#14 Post by AnchorMan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 pm

It's nice to hear about the great support from Bennington dealers. I've sold a few Benningtons and Premiers for friends. I always try to have the little things fixed first and the dealer support has been great from both dealers. The j-hooks covers are nice but I've had to replace some of the plastic clips before their time. I think snaps are more work but outlast the plastic clips.

Chapstix is a super cheap fix. You'll be glad you used prior to the off season. Not sure I'd use lipstick as mentioned because the coloring, but it probably works too.
Griffin J
[url]http://bestboatanchors.com[/url]

landlockedsailor

#15 Post by landlockedsailor » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:42 am

Thumbs up for Chapstick! And Bennington!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 9982 times
Landlocked Sailor
2011 SunTracker 21' Fishin' Barge
2007 Mercury 60 HP EFI Four-Stroke BigFoot
2014 Never-Been-in-the-Water Suntracker Trailer