Real world performance questions

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

aufan1981

Real world performance questions

#1 Post by aufan1981 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:29 am

Brand new to the site. Have really enjoyed learning from all of you with pontoon experience. Looking to get a tritoon with a 225 or 250 outboard. Recently I visited a dealer that carried several brands and as we talked, he said that one brand had significant performance advantage over another. That is, both boats with 3 tube performance packages with same HP outboards would perform significantly different. He said the pitch on the engine mount had a lot to do with the performance advantage? Do any of you have experience as to the brand that has performance advantages?? Of the following manufacturers, does anyone know of significant advantages in handling, speed, turning radius, etc. The following are brands that I am considering. Cypress Cay/Harris Floteboat, Manitou, Xcursion/South Bay/Berkshire.

JohnO

Re: Real world performance questions

#2 Post by JohnO » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:46 pm

I can't speak to the others but the Manitou SHP handles phenomenally well. It banks into the turns and can jump it's own wake (real tight donuts).

It is the best, or one of the best 2, handling pontoons on the water.
2006 24' Manitou Osprey Pro SHP F2
175 Yamaha VMax
2016 Ford F150

BobG

#3 Post by BobG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:00 pm

aufan1981 wrote:He said the pitch on the engine mount had a lot to do with the performance advantage?
Smells like....BS served up hot on a croissant.
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

aufan1981

#4 Post by aufan1981 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:12 pm

So Bobg,

Are you saying in your opinion that the pitch of the engine mount design doesn't have anything to do with increased speed? Or are you saying most all tritoons will perform the same? The dealer carried 3 brands and he simply said one of his brands had a performance advantage over the others.

thanks,

GrandDad

#5 Post by GrandDad » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:25 pm

I think his words are pure BS, but I have another thought for you to consider in making sure you are comparing apples to apples.

I own a Premier PTX tritoon and have to say that there is a major difference between a standard tritoon (3 pontoons of equal size) and a "high-performance" tritoon (larger center pontoon). In my experience (limited though it may be), a standard tritoon adds stability and buoyancy so you can hang a bigger motor, but it only marginally affects maneuverability. THe high-performance tritoons, however, have a major affect - and handle turns much like a vee-hull banking into turns.

As far as manufacturers, you will find proponents of each. My brother has a Bennington ESP identical in size with the same Yamaha 150. We find that the Premier is maybe 2 mph at WOT and maybe turns a little bit tighter. On the other hand, it is not so pronounced that I would choose one or the other JUST for the performance. JohnO mentioned the Manitou ESP which I have also heard lots of good things about.

So, my bottom line advice is to consider only those that have the high-performance packages since not all manufacturers do.
22ft Premier 225RE PTX
150 Yamaha 4-Stroke
Lake Wylie, SC

BobG

#6 Post by BobG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:13 pm

aufan1981 wrote:So Bobg,
Are you saying in your opinion that the pitch of the engine mount design doesn't have anything to do with increased speed?
A transom is pretty much a transom. Changing the "pitch" of the transom won't make a significant difference. Understand that you will be changing the pitch of the motor as you run, with the trim switch - all motors you are looking at will have the ability to be trimmed up or down from your pilot's console, typically the switch is right on the throttle. And you will WANT to change that pitch, dependent on speed, and water depth. No single trim setting is correct for all speeds. So selling a "tilted transom" as a performance feature, is really silly.

BobG

#7 Post by BobG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:17 pm

In addition, what WILL matter are a few things:

* lifting strakes - insist on them - they get you "up on the plane" for lower drag, and higher speed at any given horsepower.
* underskinning - usually part of most manufacturers performance packages. Insist on it. It reduces drag, therefore increasing speed.

Having a center toon is a MUST. A larger diameter center toon is recommended. Elliptical or round? The jury is out on that.

aufan1981

#8 Post by aufan1981 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks guys for your input. Seems as though the Forest River models, (Xcursion/Berkshire/South Bay) have 3 similar sized tubes and the Cypress Cay has the larger center tube. The dealer carries both models and he said the Cypress Cay has a performance advantage.

bassn386

#9 Post by bassn386 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:01 pm

aufan, when you say performance are you talking about top end speed or handling overall?
Going fast in a straight line on calm water is no big deal. How the boat handles near or at top end in maneuvers, especially in rough water and big waves is important to me.
I can take 4-5' waves at 4000 rpm and almost glide right over them. There's a little bump or two, but no porpoising or submarining and I and my passengers appreciate that.
I have hydraulic steering but no power assist and when pulling a 4 person tube at 4000 rpm I can turn the wheel with one hand with not much strain.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

The_Hellbilly

#10 Post by The_Hellbilly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:53 pm

I wonder if they mean the angle of the transom??? I wedged my motor to improve performance. Fwiw I think one of the biggest factors is weight.
Counting all the a$$holes in the room Well I'm definitely not alone

2005 Voyager 22ft Tritoon
2004 Honda 135hp
Strakes, underskinned, aluminum deck, etc.
Towed by: '11 Chevy Z71 Crewcab

BobG

#11 Post by BobG » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:40 am

The_Hellbilly wrote:Fwiw I think one of the biggest factors is weight.
I've got to agree with that. My boat weighs two tons empty. 24 MPH is the highest number I've seen on the GPS.

Bamaman

#12 Post by Bamaman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:01 am

AUFan:

You're considering Cypress Cay/Harris Floteboat, Manitou, Xcursion/South Bay/Berkshire boats, and you couldn't go wrong with any. They all have high performance model hulls for larger engines. You should also look at Bennington and Premier if there are dealers in your market.

If you're going to be tubing/skiing in narrow rivers/lakes, nothing will corner quite as well as a Manitou. If you'll be boating on wide expanses of water or regular lakes, any of the boats on your list will do.

We went to a big city boat show in January, and found dealers under the same roof to be very competitive in pricing. The manufacturers also threw in some freebees like 24 month extended warranties, center tube storage for 60% off and a ETEC HO motor for the cost of a standard ETEC motor.

But most of all, the boat show let us compare all brands of boats side by side--and prices in relation to the competition. There's a big difference in quality of materials, seating and even in the quality of the welding. There are also construction differences being hidden under the aluminum underskinning. It's easy to figure out who the players are in your market, and which dealers are competing for your business with price. And, don't get hung up on one brand, as more than one brand of boat will suit your needs.

Best of all, take your time and enjoy your boat search.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

aufan1981

#13 Post by aufan1981 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:30 am

Thanks Bamaman,

Very helpful. There doesn't seem to be a Premier dealer in central Alabama.