Are all pontoons created equal?

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bassn386

Re: Are all pontoons created equal?

#16 Post by bassn386 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 am

I'll put another 2 cents worth in here on a trolling motor on a pontoon. Keep in mind that the profile of a pontoon puts about 99% of it above the water line, well above.
In a windy situation the profile acts sort of like a sail and will get pushed along fairly easily.
If you are going to get a trolling motor get one with a minimum of 24 VDC power and at least 80 # of thrust. On a real windy day it won't help much, but it may hold you in place.
My old Suncruiser (93) had a 12 volt motor with about 44# of thrust. I didn't bother trying to use it if the wind was much over 10 mph. Or, I tried to find a cove out of the wind. Problem was most of the fish were holding off windy points!
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

steveiam

#17 Post by steveiam » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 am

Josh I assumed you know we have a boat show in Arlington feb 1st-10th at the ranger ballpark-they stopped having the Dallas and fort worth boat shows and have now combined them-
We went last year and it really helped us by having so many different boats at one location-
You can see these things you ask about in person that just a single dealer may not have on hand.
I often wonder if Jimmy really did crack corn, and why should I care?

killerkernrich

#18 Post by killerkernrich » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 am

Here is 2 pics of how my 70 lb 24 volt troll motor is mounted when not in use It locks in the up postion with gate closed, there is a mounting plate that you can slid the unit off of if not in use.
Attachments
DSCF3516.JPG
DSCF3516.JPG (111.28 KiB) Viewed 4132 times
DSCF0555.JPG
DSCF0555.JPG (113.33 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

rbiederwolf

#19 Post by rbiederwolf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want.

I have a Avalon tritoon with a 150hp Yamaha and I think it is one of the best built boats. From what I have seen only Avalon and Bennington truly thru bolt all decking to the under support cross members. On rough water this is important. Many boats clain thru bolts, but it is only on the pontoon to the cross members. The decks are screwed (not bolted) to the supporting cross members. If your boat is twisting and pounding in rougher conditions then in my opinion the thru bolting of the deck to the cross members is hugely important. On a flat lake or river it does not matter

When you are comparing different brands and models do not get too caught up in the length of hull (22 or 24). reason I say this is you will find some 22's with more useable room than some 24's. Make sure you look at layout and function. Once you find a brand and model you like, then see if you want the additional 2 feet for that particular boat.

A 22ft tritoon, straked with 150hp will get you close to 40mph. I do not think a stainless prop is necessary for this size motor. I think it is more a luxury item. The two local prop shops I have talked with, and the Avalon dealer all said it was a waste of money. More important to get the right size prop and pitch. If it is a Yamaha the 15.25x15P aluminum seems to be the correct prop

Definitely tritoon, definitely lifting strakes, definitely minimum 150 hp (Yamaha for me :biggrin2 ), definitely hydraulic steering as a minimum. Baystar is made for 150hp and less, and Seastar is made for 150hp and more. However you need Seastar if you want Power assist (PA). If you can afford PA I would get it. With a 150 hp, the boat will handle fine with only Hydraulic, over 30 mph it is slightly tougher to steer against the prop. However if you are buying new I would get it added if money allows it. However as you have stated, if no water sports, then the boat will handle just fine with only hydraulic steering. Try both and see what you like. PA can always be added later to Seastar Hydraulic
If you ain't got the the blues, you got a hole in your soul...

Rick
2007 Avalon Paradise Elite 22 Tritoon
2008 Yamaha 150hp

Capt Josh

#20 Post by Capt Josh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:58 am

All I can say is WOW! Truly great comradery here. Thank You. Thank You.

Yup, been to the boat show and checked it all out. Very insightful.

killerkernrich, thanks for the trolling motor pictures. That is an ideal scenario.

rbiderwolf, this is great info. I guess the main question however is I am talking to two places right now and both claim that the tri-log option comes with lifting strakes and hydraulic steering. Does it REALLY? come with lifting strakes and hydraulic steering or is this a sales pitch? They make is seem standard when you go to a trilog.

I suppose the hydraulic steering they are talking about is inferior to that of Seastar or Power Assist? As far as lifting strakes are concerned I have no clue whether what they are referring to is sufficient.........

ToonGuy

#21 Post by ToonGuy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:38 am

Hyd steering is NOT power assist. They have standard hyd and power assist hyd. The power has a small electric pump mounted some where near the motor. Here are 2 pics of lifitng strakes from various manufactures...
Attachments
2012-09-18 14.11.44.jpg
2012-09-18 14.11.44.jpg (59.72 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
2011-05-29 11.09.57.jpg
2011-05-29 11.09.57.jpg (55.18 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
Just one boat...after another, after another :-)

Ray Jr.

#22 Post by Ray Jr. » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Capt Josh wrote:All I can say is WOW! Truly great comradery here. Thank You. Thank You.

Yup, been to the boat show and checked it all out. Very insightful.

killerkernrich, thanks for the trolling motor pictures. That is an ideal scenario.

rbiderwolf, this is great info. I guess the main question however is I am talking to two places right now and both claim that the tri-log option comes with lifting strakes and hydraulic steering. Does it REALLY? come with lifting strakes and hydraulic steering or is this a sales pitch? They make is seem standard when you go to a trilog.

I suppose the hydraulic steering they are talking about is inferior to that of Seastar or Power Assist? As far as lifting strakes are concerned I have no clue whether what they are referring to is sufficient.........

Premier has Seastar hydraulic standard on anything 150HP and up and any PTX performance package, the power assist is an up grade to the hydraulic. Our 22 ft PTX with 150HP has the Seastar hydraulic, and it steers just fine without the power assist, my wife drives it pulling tubes and has no problem what so ever making tight turns at speed.
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shoreland'r dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER