New Harris Owner - New Merc 150 Fourstroke

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jshumphries

New Harris Owner - New Merc 150 Fourstroke

#1 Post by jshumphries » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 am

New to the forum, but wanted to see if other Harris Owners had the same issue. Took Delivery of a CX220 with the new Merc 150 Fourstroke. Had an issue with throttle cable being too loose and not holding RPM. Dealer has been awesome in working with me, one more adjustment to make.

My real issue is the hub. Service rep said Harris is still putting FloTorq III hubs on the new Merc. I get a pretty good rattle at no wake idle speed. Bump it to 1k and it smooths out. Dealer is putting FloTorq IV hub on it this week to resolve the problem. Any other Harris owners have the same experience?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff and Elizabeth
'12 Harris Cruiser CX220 150 merc
39mph gps 6 people
Cumming, Ga
Lake Sydney Lanier

Bamaman

Re: New Harris Owner - New Merc 150 Fourstroke

#2 Post by Bamaman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Jeff:

Glad your dealer's taking care of you. The new Merc 150 FourStroke is a honey, and a motor that Mercury should have had 10 years ago.

The throttle/gearshift binnacle often has a plug on the bottom that covers an adjusting screw. It just takes a slight turn of the screw to get the throttle cable where it'll hold the same rpm's. Adjustments are normally required to get it right.

Now if you can figure out a way for Gwinnett County to quit sucking Lake Lanier dry--so you can use your boat.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

jshumphries

#3 Post by jshumphries » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:43 pm

The boat is a rocket for the size (of motor and boat), so I'm more than pleased. I assume you mean the adjustment screw is on the back side of the throttle, not on the front of the console? I'm going to let the dealer do it since they will be replacing the hub.

I drove the Bennington, but with just two little ones, didn't need the size of the 24 and got a deal on the Harris. How do you like your SSLX?

Lanier has recovered nicely this winter. Highest I've seen it in a while and we are getting doused this week as well. I don't know if it's Gwinnett County as much as it is the Corps trying to keep the prehistoric sturgeon alive downstream that is draining it. That and the faulty equipment/gauges that were draining it a few years back. We are at the south end, so I've never had any issues unless I go off the beaten path. May have to make a trip north though when I purchase a trailer this summer, just to try the other waterways.
Jeff and Elizabeth
'12 Harris Cruiser CX220 150 merc
39mph gps 6 people
Cumming, Ga
Lake Sydney Lanier

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:12 pm

The Bennington 24' SSLX is fine. I've had pontoons since 1985, but the trihull is a different animal. The front end is very buoyant, and the boat rides very different than my Starcraft 2 toon. When you get over 30 mph, the hull lifts from the wind underneath, and it really takes off. I'm seeing 40 mph GPS @ 6000 rpm's with a 15 pitch prop.

There are many great pontoon brands, and of course Harris is up there. The quality of the dealership is important, as little problems can pop up from time to time. I avoid dealerships like the plague for doing regular maintenance, however.

I used to enjoy Lake Lanier, except when we were on on an island in a 65' houseboat when it was 12' low. Glad you're seeing water in the lake. Now, if the government will keep their noses out of water issues.

Since leaving Gwinnett County, we've been living on the Tennessee River with a 6 miles of open water to the sunsets. Our local lakes (Pickwick/Wilson/Wheeler) are fabulous, especially for smallmouth and catfish. Pickwick would be considered a top 10 fishery right now, especially with largemouth.

I still keep a RV up at Unicoi Springs (Helen), and will be towing my boat over there this Summer. We'll put it in at Lake Burton at the State Park. The North GA mountains are treasures.

I'm sure you'll be enjoying your boat this year. You have a number of other premier lakes within striking distance: Chatugue, Blue Ridge, Nottley, Burton, Seed, Oconee, Sinclair, Weiss, Chickamauga, and the lakes over at the South Carolina border. Having a trailer's nice as you can see some other scenery.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150