Harris Floteboat versus G-3 Suncatcher

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Johnboy

Harris Floteboat versus G-3 Suncatcher

#1 Post by Johnboy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:19 pm

I also just joined the site this morning. Looks like alot of good info!

I currently have a 22 ft Crest Family Fish with a 140 Suzuki, 4 stroke. I have just over 500 hrs on boat and motor and I am looking to upgrade this spring. Looking to choose between a G3/Suncatcher Elite 326SS with a 250 Yamaha or a Harris Flote Boat 24 ft Solstice with a 225 Mercury. Both are tri-toon and rear lounge models. Big difference is the shape of the logs. Not sure about the U shape log that is on the Suncatcher, but I really like the looks of that boat and how it appears to not "squat' in the rear. I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and we are still snowmobiling, so it will be awhile before the old dock goes in. I will have to make the move without riding in either model. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
2013 Elite 326 SunCatcher-G-3, 250 Yamaha SHO 4 stroke

Bamaman

Re: Harris Floteboat versus G-3 Suncatcher

#2 Post by Bamaman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:58 pm

I have a U shaped tubes on my old Starcraft pontoon. I always thought it was the most buoyant and efficient hull I ever rode in. And after 27 years, it doesn't have a scratch or dent.

I kind'a think the aluminum is slightly thinner than the newer round tubes, and they're easier to make and build the framework on the top. But for unknown reasons, almost no manufacturers are making U tubes.

When I bought the new boat, I just went with what's the most popular. I ask no more questions.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

jshumphries

#3 Post by jshumphries » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 am

As stated by many here, you will get biased opinions depending on which owner you talk to. I have been very happy with my Harris and am extremely pleased with my Merc. To have a 40 mph boat with a 150 is much more than I expected. The squat is noticeable, but with a heavy 4 stroke on the back, I think it's expected. When I'm on plane, the squat is a non issue. That being said, many family members have had 10+ yrs good service from their Yamahas (fresh and salt water). I have driven everything in the Harris line and the higher you go, the better the quality in my opinion. The real deciding factor should really be ease of service and dealer treatment. My dealer has been over the top in making sure I am a customer for life, so that made the difference for me. At the level you are looking at, I don't think you can go wrong.
Jeff and Elizabeth
'12 Harris Cruiser CX220 150 merc
39mph gps 6 people
Cumming, Ga
Lake Sydney Lanier

Johnboy

#4 Post by Johnboy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks for the input guys. I am hoping to make my decision before the end of the month to be in line for some rebates that expire.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#5 Post by lakerunner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:35 pm

I have had both and the only difference I can tell other than shape is most U shaped are foam filled where round are chambered.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Mosnowman

#6 Post by Mosnowman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 pm

No expert here....but....

Very happy with my entry level Harris....fyi

:alright
BUSY LIVING...
2012 Harris Flotebote 240 Cruiser Tritoon
Mercury Verado 150 / Performance Package @ Rough Water Package
Columbia Mo BZLIVN
It Comes Down To a Simple Choice..Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying....

Bamaman

#7 Post by Bamaman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Mosnowman: Nothing wrong with any Harris or Bennington or Manitou or Premier.

Your boat is beautiful, and I'm sure it performs well.

Liquid Asset

#8 Post by Liquid Asset » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Ok I know I said in another thread ( about snowmobiling) that wilson wasn't going to be at the novi show but they were there. They were not listed as a vendor a couple weeks ago and another shop said they were not going to be there but oh well. After looking at the g3 and the the harris solstice I would get the harris . It just looks like a nicer boat imo. Nothing wrong with the g3 I just thought the harris was nicer and the trim level seemed to be higher. Good luck on your purchase and keep us posted !!!
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

Texoma Toon

#9 Post by Texoma Toon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:43 am

Honestly, I think G3 is the best toon for what I spent 6 years ago but today if I was to get what you are looking at I would look at Bennington.
2007 G3 LX 22 Fish & Cruise
90 Hp Yammy
Dual Axle Trailer

The proud American will go down into Obama's slavery without a fight, beating his chest and proclaiming to the world how free he really is. The world will only snicker. - Pravda

Johnboy

#10 Post by Johnboy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks all for the advice. I will have to check into the Bennington also. I do know there are no dealers within 100 miles of me for that manufacture. I am hoping and need to stay under the 50k mark. I know I can do that with the G-3 model I priced out with a trailer. From what I have read, I probably would not be able to do that with the Bennington? It can't hurt to do some checking, maybe someone has a new non current model. Thanks again, I will continue the phone calls and research!

Liquid Asset, thanks for doing some checking at the Novi Boat Show.

John

gmoney

#11 Post by gmoney » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:13 am

Well I considered the harris and Bennington and Bought an Avalon instead... Better Made boat.. Avalon is made in Michigan so you should have no problem finding a dealer. I would suggest taking a look at them and compare. Best looking boat on the market my opinion as well.

I used a list that was given to me of 10 things to consider when buying a pontoon boat. This list made my decision easy. I did follow up with the other manufacturers to confirm the information and it is true. Maybe this will help you a bit

Feature Manufacturers Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater, Palm Beach, Suntracker, Harris Flotebote
1. Full Risers/M Brackets Avalon
2. Integrated Nose Cone Splash Fins Avalon, Premier X**
3. Are cross members 8 ½ ft long Avalon
4. Uses at least 16 bolts to fasten motor pod Avalon
5. Uses Aluminum for seat frame Avalon
6. Uses 50 Gauge Vinyl to cover seats Avalon, Premier X*, Bennington X*
7. Uses double vented fuel fills Avalon, BenningtonTBD
8. Wall joints welded on all 4 sides Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater, Harris Flotebote
9. Bow eye across three cross members Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater
10. 5 year warranty from bow to stern Avalon, Premier, bennington, Sweetwater, Harris Flotebote
X* indicates on their higher end models only
X** indicates two piece nose cone instead of one

Information provided above is research conducted on the 2013 models.

Johnboy

#12 Post by Johnboy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 am

After attending a boatshow Friday and doing more research, my choices are now down to the G-3 Suncatcher Elite 326SS or the Avalon CRL 26 ft. Both would have the 250 Yamaha. I had to move on from Harris due to not having a dealer close by that wanted to help me out. The Avalon is going to be around 7k more. I am running out of time before the rebates expire on the G-3. I hope to tour the Avalon plant on Wednesday, I will be close by the plant attending meetings for work. That may help me with the decision. Still looking for any input from anyone with experience with either of these boats or manufactures.

Thanks
John

Bamaman

#13 Post by Bamaman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:18 am

You couldn't go wrong on either. But $7K is a bunch of moola.

BobG

#14 Post by BobG » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:03 pm

gmoney wrote:Well I considered the harris and Bennington and Bought an Avalon instead... Better Made boat.. Avalon is made in Michigan so you should have no problem finding a dealer. I would suggest taking a look at them and compare. Best looking boat on the market my opinion as well.

I used a list that was given to me of 10 things to consider when buying a pontoon boat. This list made my decision easy. I did follow up with the other manufacturers to confirm the information and it is true. Maybe this will help you a bit

Feature Manufacturers Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater, Palm Beach, Suntracker, Harris Flotebote
1. Full Risers/M Brackets Avalon
2. Integrated Nose Cone Splash Fins Avalon, Premier X**
3. Are cross members 8 ½ ft long Avalon
4. Uses at least 16 bolts to fasten motor pod Avalon
5. Uses Aluminum for seat frame Avalon
6. Uses 50 Gauge Vinyl to cover seats Avalon, Premier X*, Bennington X*
7. Uses double vented fuel fills Avalon, BenningtonTBD
8. Wall joints welded on all 4 sides Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater, Harris Flotebote
9. Bow eye across three cross members Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater
10. 5 year warranty from bow to stern Avalon, Premier, bennington, Sweetwater, Harris Flotebote
X* indicates on their higher end models only
X** indicates two piece nose cone instead of one

Information provided above is research conducted on the 2013 models.

OHMYGOODNESS!!! I've never heard this before!
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

Johnboy

#15 Post by Johnboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 pm

I am leaning towards pulling the trigger on the G-3 SunCatcher Elite 326 SS with a Yammie SHO 250. This after touring 2 factories, Avalon and Manitou, along with spending countless hours at dealerships, reading, researching, talking, and surfing the net. Both the Avalon and Manitou are well built boats for sure. When I first started serioulsy looking, Harris was the boat I really wanted, but finding a dealer close by who wanted to sell me one was almost impossible. It is coming down to price now. When it is all said and done, I go from the mid 50k range for the SunCatcher to the mid to high 60k range for the others. I am still not completly sold on the U shape foam filled logs, but I guess anything is a gamble. G-3 just finished building a SunCatcher matching what I want. The others I would probably be waiting until mid June. Although, the ice is still over 1 ft thick in front of my house, so I guess it may be June for the boat anyway! If there is anyone out there who has a good reason not to go with the SunCatcher, please let me know soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, I have seen the video of the punctured G-3 log, that makes me feel uneasy. They do now double their nosecones to .200 strength.