South Bay Pontoons

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Deantony

South Bay Pontoons

#1 Post by Deantony » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:20 am

New to pontoon boats. Read a lot about fast triton South Bay pontoons but does anyone have advice or reviews for 2014 500 series two toon boats with a merc 115 engine. Seems like swell constructed boat. Any opinions?

Bamaman

Re: South Bay Pontoons

#2 Post by Bamaman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:12 am

South Bay makes a nice pontoon boat for the price charged. There are also a dozen other brands I'd be proud to own. The top other brands (in my eyes) are Bennington, Premier, Manitou, Harris and Tahoe. Many popular brands of pontoons also have 3-4 different model boats from entry level to luxurious.

Try to buy local if at all possible. And be prepared to exceed your original budget by 110% or more. Buy all the horsepower you can afford on Day 1.

Remember that if you get a boat with lifting strakes on your toons, it'll get better fuel mileage and get you another 5 mph--for relatively little cost. Otherwise, your nosecones will be plowing through the water--displacement hulls.

Many that are using their boats for water sports--tubing, etc.--prefer tritoons (w/strakes) and 150 horsepower motors. They're just so seaworthy and turn much sharper than 2 toon boats.

Good luck in your search.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

bassn386

#3 Post by bassn386 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:22 am

For the most part, all pontoon makers try to have a range of boats from modest to Holy S*&t, it cost's how much.
You are doing your homework and that's good. If you live in an area that has lakes or rivers with marinas, go talk to the owners of the type/mfr of pontoon you are considering. We toon owners love to talk about our boats and most of us will give you the unvarnished truth, if you ask.
No pontoon manufacturer can survive for long by making a sub-par product.
Don't get swayed by all the hype and foo-foo add-ons that add to the cost, but do nothing to enhance the ride or improve quality.
Someone mentioned lifting strakes and they definitely make a difference. Another consideration would be under-skinning. It keeps wave action from hitting the cross members. Unless you will be boating on a very small body of water with no big boats and almost no wave action, go for the triple log. What a difference in ride! I know because I've owned both and where I boat, big waves are the norm.
Some mfrs. offer a rough water package (Bennington at least) for the transom, which is beefed up and worth the money.
I'll repeat what someone already said: get the biggest motor you can afford and will fit on the boat. You'll also find a range of opinions here about two-stroke vs. four-stroke. I have one of each (Optimax on my bass boat). I was considering going with another Opti on the Benny, but the salesman pointed out several reasons to go with the 4 stroke and after three seasons with the Yamaha, I am very satisfied.
Good luck!! (And don't forget to post pics once you've decided).
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Gonefishing

#4 Post by Gonefishing » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:26 am

Another option look at the excursion. It is made by Forst River makers of South Bay. It is modaled after the 500 series SouthBay. Great toon great price and options are great. I have 2013 RFC 22 foot 115 Yamaha and love it.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

Deantony

#5 Post by Deantony » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Cycleman07

#6 Post by Cycleman07 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:53 am

Ill throw a little support for South Bay. I have a 2013 524E series with a 150 Fourstroke. It is as well made as any of the top of the line Pontoons. Through bolts, Integraged rub rails etc. Been a great boat after one season. Would highly recommend them.
2013 South Bay 524E/Mercury 150 4Stroke
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLT 4x4 Duramax

Rascal

#7 Post by Rascal » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 pm

And..., I'll throw a pitch for Premier. They have innovations (patents) that the others just don't have. Such as storage covers that don't have fingernail busting snaps. Premier covers have J-clips that hook under the rails... easy on and easy off.

The seats are above the crowd Flexsteel high end home furniture grade. The Bimini heavy duty top design is also patented. Easy up and down. I tow my toon at 55mph with the top up with no problems. Many, many other innovative items. All kidding a side... There are other high quality pontoon companies. But there's only one "Premier". Stop by a dealer and you'll see what I mean. Or order a brochure... www. pontoons.com

Rascal
Fishing Year Round SW Florida
Gulf Coast & Pine Island Sound

Premier 22' 2012 Cast A Way
115 hp Honda, 15.5 x 13 prop
Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for
Navigation & Satellite Weather

Capt Sully

#8 Post by Capt Sully » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:30 pm

You see they are all good, just get what will fulfill your needs and enjoy it. :thumbsup :thumbsup
2012 Xcurison X23C
Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke
Dual axle full bunk trailer ready to go
All pulled with Z71 4WD Silverado
Maritime mobile KD4LZL
Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
FVC USCG Auxiliary
Vietnam 66 / 67