preference between mercury and yamaha motors

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ilockmup

preference between mercury and yamaha motors

#1 Post by ilockmup » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Do you prefer a Merc or Yamaha motor. Looking at the 115 hp set up. Why?

Discovery

Re: preference between mercury and yamaha motors

#2 Post by Discovery » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:21 pm

ilockmup wrote:Do you prefer a Merc or Yamaha motor. Looking at the 115 hp set up. Why?
Engines that are used for recreational use on water may only be surpassed by engines used for general aviation. That said, I don't think you will find any one of the 'majors' will let you down. My SeaRay has a Merc in it that isn't anything more than a re-badge of the 4.3 vortec.

How do you want to rig the engine? It is all about how your engine interfaces with the electronics. Do you like to know how your fuel burn is over time? Both Merc and Yammys can do that if the boat is rigged for the former or latter interface.

The only true answer I have for you is don't buy something you cant a:afford b:find parts, and last but not least c:maintain on your own.

Soonertoon

#3 Post by Soonertoon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Merc used to be the Cadillac of boat motors for decades. Competition wasn't that good from Evinrude and Johnson. Like all brands who think they have it all, they got lazy. Quality isn't what it used to be and the competition got a helluva lot better. Yamaha right now is producing some very fine product and has surpassed Merc in most categories. I recently purchased
A new toon and one of the big factors in the choice I made was that it was Yamaha powered. Too many cases of Merc problems for me.

I know there are lots of Merc lovers on this forum who will defend them to the death. Guess that's why they make black and brown shoes ...
Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke
Paradise Cove Marina on Ft. Gibson Lake

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:53 pm

I was one of the first Yamaha outboard owners (1985 model 115 hp 2 stroke), and have had great service. My Bennington has a F150 Yamaha, and it's about as good a four stroke motor as there is.

But if I was repowering, I'd probably go for the Mercury 150 FourStroke for $10K. They're comparable in power, but can be bought at a dealership for about $3K less than my Yamaha.

My motor came through Bennington as they're the largest wholesale purchaser of Yamaha outboards--at large fleet discounts. The price differential between the Yamaha and Mercury bought through a boat manufacturer is much less than if it was bought individually at a franchised dealer.

FYI: Merc. has just introduced a completely new, lightweight 115 hp motor.

If your boat has capability to handle 150 hp, go with the bigger motor. There's quite a bit of difference between the motors, and the 150 hp is well worth the price difference in performance.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

rdeterman

#5 Post by rdeterman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:28 pm

Yamaha. They might cost more but the reliability is unmatched. When I travel by large marinas or to other countries all you see is Yamaha outboards... There is a reason for that.
2014 Sylvan Signature 8523 LZ
2014 Yamaha F200 2.8l

Iowa

bassn386

#6 Post by bassn386 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:16 pm

I have one of each (2006 Optimax 200 hp, 2010 Yamaha F225). I would have gone for an Opti on my Bennington, but the sales guy talked me into the Yammi and I love it. It's quiet and has great fuel economy, although I have to say I really don't care about that particularly. The Yammi's impellers are built much tougher than most and I finally replaced mine even though the marina said it would probably have gone another season. I don't know anyone who has a Merc 4 stroke, so I can't compare them with my Opti.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

robster

#7 Post by robster » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:36 am

Yamaha is more reliable, you will see more Yamaha motors on the coast for that reason alone.
2011 Manitou OasisVP Tritoon w/Yamaha 150

STEVEBRENDA

#8 Post by STEVEBRENDA » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:24 am

In eleven years all I have done is replace the spark plugs, fluids and an impellor on our Mercury. To down grade to a 115 Yamaha from our Mercury 125 was going to cost me $2,500. I am glad I stuck with the Mercury.
2014 Regency 254
Mercury 250L Verado

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Mosnowman

#9 Post by Mosnowman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:41 pm

I think you will be just fine with either....I have a 3 year old Mercury Verado 150 and absolutely love it! You can barely hear it running.....powerful....and no problems.

Good luck....
BUSY LIVING...
2012 Harris Flotebote 240 Cruiser Tritoon
Mercury Verado 150 / Performance Package @ Rough Water Package
Columbia Mo BZLIVN
It Comes Down To a Simple Choice..Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying....

Reiner

#10 Post by Reiner » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:07 pm

I recently bought my first boat and was looking at both motor options and settled for the new Merc design 150 Hp 4-stroke. I liked the lighter weight and the easy service set-up for DIY. I researched that type also on this Merc forum and the reviews all seemed favorable. http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-motors/
The main thing what people noticed right away is how quiet it is underway. I also like the fuel efficiency on this motor. Not saying anything bad about Yamaha, I see them a lot and owned a Yamaha 4-stroke jet ski for 10 years with 90 % salt water use and it ran like new when I sold it with 750 hours.
If you like Black go with Merc, is it Grey than Yamaha...probably can't go wrong.
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#11 Post by badmoonrising » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:50 am

Mercury has had a contract with Yamaha since 2000 to build their powerheads. So Merc. = Yamaha for the most part. Especially the 4 strokes. My 2014 Merc 90 ELPT is a Yamaha powerhead.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Big had

#12 Post by Big had » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Good info. My boat has a 90 Yamaha and all I had to rate it by was their PWC line which I have owned uterus of over the years. Sounds like I didn't go wrong with Yamaha.
Keep your circle of friends small, your beer cold, and make yourself important.

Bamaman

#13 Post by Bamaman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:21 pm

Sorry Ed, but Mercury manufactures engines over 75 horsepower at its facility in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. Mercury used to use Yamaha powerheads on some 4 strokes, but it's been a number of years since they built their own.

Mercury 30 Hp and less are made by Tohatsu in Japan. Mercury Marine builds 40, 50 and 60 horsepower outboard motors in Suzhou, China.

If someone is wanting to purchase a motor outright and not with the boat, Mercury outboards can be bought cheaper than Yamaha. If the boat manufacturer delivered a motor with the boat, chances are they bought the motor directly on volume purchases and the prices get closer.

Yamaha's 115 hp was new a year ago when they equipped the boat with a vibration damping shaft. Mercury's 115 hp is completely new this year, but I understand supplies in dealerships are low until 5/2015.

I'd like to see a boat test on identical boats with the Merc and Yammie mounted on them. Otherwise, I'd suggest you do a demo ride with each engine for comparison sake.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Kramfam

#14 Post by Kramfam » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:30 am

I just took ownership of a 24' foot Sylvan with a 2014 115 Merc 4 stroke on it yesterday. The dealership mechanic took me out on about an hour ride to do an initial break-in and performance test. He did nothing but rave about the 115 Merc. Says he never sees them come back to the shop and the 115 seems to get the best fuel economy of the 90-150 hp range. He had no skin in the game as he is not in sales so I take him at his word.

Didn't specifically ask him about a comparison to Yamaha though.

For guys looking for performance stats...we did just over 30MPH with half a tank of gas, two guys, a 20-25mph cross wind and 3 foot waves. The boat has the RPT planning tubes on it. Should be able to get another 3-4mph on it in calmer weather and the motor trimmed out.
2014 Sylvan Mirage Cruise 8524
27" RPT tubes w/underskinning
2014 115hp Mercury 4 stroke
Previous: 2004 Four Winns 22' Horizon, 270hp

BobG

#15 Post by BobG » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:51 am

If you read these posts carefully, you may soon begin to understand that this choice is s RELIGIOUS choice. It's a matter of faith. Some people believe in the "Big M", and some in the "Big Y".

I believe I'll have another cocktail.
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.