Berkshire Price Advice

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

russelljackson

Berkshire Price Advice

#1 Post by russelljackson » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:01 pm

Hey Berkshire owners, I'm looking at this boat,

http://www.gainesvillemarina.com/new-bo ... re-b22rs13

It's an odd model and i can't find many to compare it to. Seems more like a South Bay 522 model. They are asking $34,900, and I saw it at the boat show for $32K. I'm thinking anything around $30K would be a good deal. Any thoughts?
2013 SouthBay 522SLTT
Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
Canton, GA

Bamaman

Re: Berkshire Price Advice

#2 Post by Bamaman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:24 pm

Berkshire, South Bay and Xcursion are all built by Forest River. the huge recreational vehicle company owned by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway. Berkshire Hathaway is a first class company, and they don't build junk. Only they and Bennington are currently seeing increasing retail sales in the pontoon business, as the marine world is still suffering from the 2008 downturn in sales/building.

If they offered the same boat at $32K at the boat show, offer them $34,900 for it and a tandem axle trailer. The Berkshire is a pretty nice boat, and those prices appear to be very fair to me. My Bennington was substantially more $.

That tritoon with the F150 motor should be a very good pick for your Lake Lanier--a big, wide body of water. I'd hate to get caught out on that lake with the storms coming. And with Lanier's weekend traffic, you really would be getting a boat that's very seaworthy.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

ron nh

#3 Post by ron nh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:27 am

That is a steel at low 30's. I'm going to Boston boat show today "foot and a 1/2 of snow -30 wind chill" I'm haven't been looking at Berkshire only because it out of my price range. I will buy it today if they offer anything near that price! those are beautiful very well built boats. the dealer 1 mile away from me would not go lower than $42,000 for that boat and I wasn't surprised. I hate to sound like a broken record but even at the boat shows northeast is 10,000 higher than the prices i'm hearing on here. Buy it.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

Strake

#4 Post by Strake » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:33 am

We just chose a Berkshire 233 STS series with the RFX layout. It's got the Performance 3 package which gives you a full length 3rd toon with floor storage. We also added power steering, hydraulic SeaStar steering, Gray vinyl teak flooring, upgraded stereo with sub woofer, dual batteries. a few other goodies too. Powered by a 200 Yamaha F200 LB.

Only had it out a few times due to the weather, but the quality is excellent, the fit and finish is great. It has a full under deck aluminum skin and full lifting strakes. Very pleased with the minimal hours we've put on it so far. Just got it Nov 16.

Besides the Berkshire having a bow to stern 5 year warranty, I happened to time it right with a Yamaha special..... got 3 years extended full warranty added on for a total of 6 years on the motor for free.

The local dealer ordered the boat to our exact spec..... They negotiated a really fair discount on the boat and engine. We do not need a trailer. As I also happen to like the Bennington toons, I priced them as well...... a similarly equipped Bennington would have cost me about $12k more. Our local Bennington dealer just doesn't negotiate..... at least to my standards.

Sounds like the deal on the boat you saw at the boat show sounds really decent.... if you need a trailer, try negotiating it into the deal, otherwise, you can seek dual batteries or something else that might be of interest to you.
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
2015 Berkshire 233 RFX STS
Yamaha F200 LB