On the hunt for a new pontoon

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

OldePharte

On the hunt for a new pontoon

#1 Post by OldePharte » Sat May 02, 2009 7:24 pm

So here's my experience on day 1:

So, my hunt for a triple tube pontoon started today. My first stop was at a Bentley and Veranda dealer. Bentley’s original owner has purchased the company back and shipments are supposed to restart mid-summer. Veranda’s (25 feet) were interesting. Snap-lock metal decking welded to the tubes and Yamaha only power. The metal decking was intriguing, but I am concerned about the furniture that is bolted on. In time they could work loose. It featured an exposed gas tank mounted under the sun pad and forward of the engine. Fuel fill was integral with the fuel tank. Good and bad. Center tube was not full length so the lifting stakes stopped short of the outside tube strakes. The motor pod made up the difference in length. Standard deck layout.

Next stop was to a Sundancer dealer. I knew Sundancer’s founder, Bob Falconer, when he worked at Lowe Boats, so I am a little partial. They had an ’08 that they were willing to deal, but it doesn’t have strakes. No ‘09s to look at yet. Although Sundancer (26 feet) was one of the pioneers of the middle tube, lately they are not innovators. They still have the battery exposed on a little pad on the motor pod. Their middle tube is also shorter than the side tubes with the motor pod making up the difference. Any motor is an option.

Next stop was Voyager (25 feet). The back fence and rail goes straight across the stern. The center log and strakes are full length and actually sticks out the back a bout 2 feet. Gas tank is in the back of the center tube. The provided chair seemed awfully high. Good thing it had a tilt wheel. I had to have it really slanted up to feel right. Kinda like an old bus steering wheel. Perhaps this a dealer issue? Heavy duty tubes – 0.100 inches. While the U-shape logs have block foam, the nose cones are filled with expansive foam. E-tec or Suzuki power.

All the above had heavy-duty bimini frames.

Last stop of the day was to look at JC Neptoons (25 feet) and Manitous. Manitous are out due to $$. JC Neptoon was, again, interesting. U-shaped tubes, but no foam. Besides the typical drain plug, it also has a small upper plastic plug to be removed during winter or after a decent temperature change to get rid of the “popping” that may result. Full length middle tube. This model had the curved front section that could be removed and moved to the back. Either way, a gate will be blocked unless the bench seat is left behind. It had a rear deck with vinyl non-skid covering allowing access to the motor. The gas tank is in the center tank, but a bit more forward. They installed a screwed down hatch to access it. The steering console was moved more forward almost to the center, so there is no gate on the starboard side. The bimini frame was the flimsiest of all the rest. It was made of smallish round tubing compared with the square tubing of the others. They offer only Honda and Mercury engines. He did offer a Mercury 2 stroke, but it would mean ordering new as all his units are rigged for Hondas. The sales guy was extremely knowledgeable and would point out the differences between various units; good and bad.

So what did I learn? First was a mild case of sticker shock. Second, each unit had its good and bad points; ergo, there is no thing as a perfect unit. I do like the e-Tecs over any 4-stroker. All 4-strokes require at least annual oil changes that need to be done by the dealer to maintain the warrantee. Only one had a close-by marina. Make the appointment, drive on by, and they do everything while you wait. Plus they give buyer discounts on parts and gas. All were willing to deal, within reason.

The other big issue had to do with length. I was sold on needing a 26 footer to deal with our lake’s cruiser wakes. Then it occurred to me that tack on another 2 to 3 feet for motor and final length is closer to 28 to 29 feet. My dock slip is 28 feet deep. Hmmm. The last guy (Tim) was the only one who suggested that try a 24 foot triple log first. Maybe I don’t need the extra length. I am not convinced, but at least he mentioned it. They have a 24 foot Explode that he is willing to deal. He took it to the shootout last year and made decent time with no porpoising at all.

So what now? I got a couple of others to look at and wait for the Bosslady to come down and we can make our cuts.
'09 Neptoon Sport 25TT SunLounger w/150 Honda

What happens at the lake stays at the lake. Unless I have my camera handy.

curtiscapk

Re: On the hunt for a new pontoon

#2 Post by curtiscapk » Sat May 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Good luck!! You've put your time in, you deserve toon time.

I likey explodes!!!!!!!!!!! :nana :guitar :ten

How's house sellin in OP?
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Sun May 03, 2009 12:33 am

Might want to ask, which month the model change comes in. Bought mine the latter part of April and the new models (09) came out about a month later. Guess that's not a big deal, but sort of bad having a boat a month or two and magically it become a year old boat. Oh, on the Bentley don't be concerned about the strakes getting it up. On my test drive, first time in a tritoon also, I leaned over the rail and more than half the boat was out of the water.
doc

OldePharte

#4 Post by OldePharte » Sun May 03, 2009 8:18 am

curtiscapk wrote:Good luck!! You've put your time in, you deserve toon time.

I likey explodes!!!!!!!!!!! :nana :guitar :ten

How's house sellin in OP?
It'll probably be close to mid-summer before we can get a For Sale Sign. We have to replace all floor coverings, then replace the kitchen countertop, then may have to replace the back splash. The we'll be ready.

Day 2 shopping to continue today. I am to meet a guy who has a SanPan, and another for a Crest. Not entirely sold on either, but will give a look.

mike
Site Owner

#5 Post by mike » Sun May 03, 2009 10:31 am

Good luck with your search, you seem to have covered your bases and done your homework! I am partial to voyager because that's what I have and am very impressed that mine is over 10 years old and still looks and feels new (other than the cover).
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

dockholiday

#6 Post by dockholiday » Sun May 03, 2009 11:41 am

Had a 2 log San Pan, it is a really solid boat and the interior was pretty plush. Kept it for over 10 years and was solid when I sold it. Surprised they are not any more popular than they are.

sib715

#7 Post by sib715 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm impressed with your due diligence and I too, have done the research last month and did boat trials on the bennington, JC and Avalon. Ordered the Avalon Sandbar, liked the aesthetics, construction and price and the toon is in production as we speak and hope to be on the water by Memorial Day.
Steve Bloom
Canton, Ga.
Lake Chatuge (Hiawassee, Ga)
09 Avalon Sandbar 26'
Honda 150

OldePharte

#8 Post by OldePharte » Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Day 2 included looking at the Premiers. Ya, I knew that they were out of my price point, but what the heck. The down side was that I fell in love with the S-Series ptx, a 25 foot model, with a 225 e-Tec. Later that night the Bosslady calls and told her what I was looking at. Her answer was basically no frakin way jose. Ya, I know, I know.

So that night I sent an e-mail to the dealer saying loved the 'toon, but too much $$$$. The next morning he writes back - Hang on there Hoss, how about you go down a notch on the hp and I can cut about $10K off the price. Huh? So that dealer is back on the list.

Seems as though the 2010's are going to arrive in a couple of months and they want to sell the leftover '09s and get cap room on their floor plan financing. So, it it all goes well, I COULD wind up with a top of the line boat at dealer cost, perhaps with not as much HP as I wanted, but could live with. Sometime down the road, perhaps trade-up on the pusher if not entirely satisfied with handling/speed.

Hopefully, by this weekend, I (with the Bosslady's consent) will be able to fill my empty boat dock.

curtiscapk

#9 Post by curtiscapk » Wed May 13, 2009 9:14 am

old pharte,

any update?
Craig and Paula
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

OldePharte

#10 Post by OldePharte » Wed May 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Update -

So the Bosslady and I first go to look at the Premier S-Series. Seems as though the upper windshield frame hits her right at eye-level. So that's out. We next look at a Sunsation model. 6" raised helm, plush as all get out. The dealer says, look, I'll sell it $1k above invoice - $43k. Whoa nelly, he knows our price point and that ain't it. Oh well.

On to the Voyager dealer. Decent enough boat, but she ain't happy. Then we do a little more looking and the motor bracket seems lacking and some interior parts are falling off! Oops.

On to the Neptoon dealer. He has an '09 model called a SunLounger. Not even in the JC Mfg catalog, but online under What's New. Hmmmm. It's a 25 foot sport model with triple tubes and lifting strakes, 150 Honda, movable bow cushion (front or rear position), back vinyl coated swim deck with stereo remote and two 12 volt plugins. The dealer is a real nice guy and will tell you the pros and cons of any 'toon, even his. So we talk a bit. He'll "give me" an 18% discount over the invoice. The engine isn't all I really wanted, but is probably what I need. And if necessary, swap it out for something bigger in a year or two. Since we do more cruising in and out of coves than poker run speeds, it might just be the ticket. So we go home at talk about each unit we see.

Today, I went on a test ride. Wow, at idle, ya can't hear it running. At full speed, the wind was noisier than the engine. And wouldn't ya know it, not one other boat in sight! I was hoping to cross some big honkin wakes to see how it handles.

This afternoon, I pull the trigger. I don't want to pay cash right now, at least until the market rebounds more. Okay, Honda will finance at 6.7% for 15 years. No early prepayment penalty, so we'll pay it on time and then later on pay it off. The mooring cover, a Sunbrella, wasn't with the boat and has to be reordered. We make plans to pick it up in 2 weeks. This will give me time to get insurance quotes from Safeco and Boat/US.

So now I need to get my lift reoriented for the 'toon and buy fenders, dock line, etc. etc.

It was a fun hunt and since the other boat lasted us 19 years, it should be the last one. Unless we win the lottery. Then all bets are off.

curtiscapk

#11 Post by curtiscapk » Wed May 13, 2009 2:08 pm

sounds freakin awesome. PICS when you get it.
Craig and Paula
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

dockholiday

#12 Post by dockholiday » Wed May 13, 2009 2:27 pm

Sounds nice OldeP
The 150 should push it well. Mid 30's to 40 depending on the weight

OldePharte

#13 Post by OldePharte » Sat May 30, 2009 11:57 am

Picked her up Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and had a 9 mile drive fighting large cruiser wakes and debris since the lake rose about a foot overnight. For those older folks, it was definitely an E-ticket ride.

Here is the front -

front starboard quarter -

Back -

Starboard interior -

Port interior -

Of course it rained most of the week, so we couldn't go out much.

OldePharte

#14 Post by OldePharte » Sat May 30, 2009 12:00 pm

After the Bosslady took a heard look at the front, she determined that we will name it -

(Think of a Batman villain)

Will post separately.

OldePharte

#15 Post by OldePharte » Sat May 30, 2009 12:03 pm

The Joker

We will need a flag ( or 2 or 3) made since there really isn't any area to put the name on the boat. All I need to do is photoshop Nicholson's Jokers smile.
Last edited by OldePharte on Sun May 31, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.