Need some help deciding what brand to buy

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

PackinHeat

Need some help deciding what brand to buy

#1 Post by PackinHeat » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:09 am

Hello, I am new to the forums and to pontoons. Having grown up on a large lake in northern ID I am not new to water or boating. I have driven some large boats in my time but never a pontoon. I live in southern idaho now where our reservoirs have limited to no usable shoreline. Having small kids and dogs I decided a pontoon boat would be the best option for a young growing family.

Now the hard part. Deciding on a brand. The manufactures here seem limited to Sweetwater and Lowe and there is supposed to be a Bennington dealer but they didn't have any in stock. New boats are out of my price range (except for maybe the Lowe). Looking to spend under 20K with a 90+ HP four stroke. There is an '07 Tahoe (Avalon) 24' with 115 Merc listed private party and several older party barges. There is also an '02 Sweetwater 20' with a 80 HP Yamaha.

Engine aside, are there any issues with any of these brands that people are aware of. I am skeptical of the Lowe since a friend bought a new one and had to fix the ladder twice and eventually replace it. He also said the posts on the fishing seats were weak. The Sweetwaters are sweet. I really liked the solid sheet of aluminum that covered the underbelly of the deck and fishing seats had high end posts and mounts.

I am comfortable with either the Honda or the Yamahas. I am interested in feedback on the 4 stroke Mercs. I have heard mixed reviews locally from fisher buddies on the Mercs. Yamaha and reviews are consistently excellent so I would take either

Any feedback is appreciated.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: Need some help deciding what brand to buy

#2 Post by lakerunner » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:44 am

First welcome.

In the old days a lowe was built like a battleship. You still see a lot of old lowes still in use. Newer ones I have seen look pretty cheaply made. Sweet Water is a good toon and a part of Godfrey Marine family I believe. Bennie's are nothing but first class in trim and construction. Buying used be sure and check for soft spots in floors. Crawl under and check for cracks in frame and brackets.

On motors I have owned OMC, Merc and Honda's. Personally I love Mercs. I have a 90 4 stk with 5 years of heavy use and only regular maintenance. Evinrude E-Teck is a super 2 stroke and in 4 stk Suzuki is a winner also. I had More problems with Honda than Merc's.

Good luck with search
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:04 pm

The godfrey brand is good, think they include sweetwater, aqua pation, and san pan. I had a san pan for over 10 years (sold it about a year ago) it was well built and in good shape when I sold it although it did have some vinyl issues which were my fault, they make a really solid boat. I wouldn't hesitate to by another godfrey. The toons have come a long way over the years most are solid and will last, naturally you will pay more for the plush one ie bennington, premier, etc. Think the most important thing is to be happy with the boat speed which is a big topic of discussion. If you will be happy running in the 20's get the two log. If you want more of a runabout speed try and find a tritoon with at least
a 115hp. Like I said earlier had a 25' san pan with a 90 and was happy with it, but when time came for a new one decided to go to the tritoon and a little larger motor, not so much cause I wanted to go faster, I just wanted to increase my cruising range, and coverage of the lake.
Welcome and good luck in your search.
doc

Jimfishes

#4 Post by Jimfishes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:10 pm

We love our Bennie, but LR is right -- check for cracks at the transom attachment points. We had to replace the motor pod once, and then a frame piece. No problems since. If the local dealer doesn't have any, be careful about ordering. The company has grown so fast they have lost some rep in customer service and follow-up. Best of luck! :givebeer
Jimfishes
2004 Bennington 2575RFS w/150 Yamaha

rockymax

#5 Post by rockymax » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:34 am

As to engines on pontoons that I have owned, I have had Yamaha, Honda and now E-Tec and never had any problems with any of them. If buying a used engine, I would want an engine still under warranty. If this is not possible, I would have a marine engine mechanic test the engine using the manufacturer's computer software before purchasing as engine repair can be costly and very aggravating. Additionally, I would strongly recommend that you get the highest HP engine that you can and the boat will accommodate as the vast majority of pontoon owners will tell you that they wish they had a bigger engine. Good luck with your search.
23' Hurricane
250hp Yamaha
Madison, AL
Wheeler Lake (TN River)

Jimfishes

#6 Post by Jimfishes » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:31 am

Hey Rocky -- different subject......

I was a cop in Madison a LOOOONNGG time ago when the entire PD was 12 including the chief. Then went to TVA. Still have in-laws there. At one time I had a house with dock on the Elk River. As much as I miss the easy access to the water, we're hooked on the mountains now.......enjoy Wheeler......I can't remember the last time I was there...
:givebeer
Jimfishes
2004 Bennington 2575RFS w/150 Yamaha

rockymax

#7 Post by rockymax » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:16 am

How long since you have been to Madison? The growth is still extraordinary which has created associated problems such as traffic congestion, school population, services, etc. "U.S. News and World Report" just named Madison as the "Second Best Place to Grow Up In" of all US Cities (Virginia Beach, VA was first). The recession has not impacted Madison or Madison County to any significant degree. They are still buiding and selling new homes wherever they can buy land to build.
23' Hurricane
250hp Yamaha
Madison, AL
Wheeler Lake (TN River)

PackinHeat

#8 Post by PackinHeat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:15 pm

lakerunner wrote:First welcome.

In the old days a lowe was built like a battleship. You still see a lot of old lowes still in use. Newer ones I have seen look pretty cheaply made. Sweet Water is a good toon and a part of Godfrey Marine family I believe. Bennie's are nothing but first class in trim and construction. Buying used be sure and check for soft spots in floors. Crawl under and check for cracks in frame and brackets.

On motors I have owned OMC, Merc and Honda's. Personally I love Mercs. I have a 90 4 stk with 5 years of heavy use and only regular maintenance. Evinrude E-Teck is a super 2 stroke and in 4 stk Suzuki is a winner also. I had More problems with Honda than Merc's.

Good luck with search

I went an looked at the Lowes. I wasn't impressed with the fishing seats. They were sitting on what appeared to be a 1" post. The Godfreys used high end 3.5" diameter posts for their swivel seats. I wiegh 260 lb so the Lowes are out for me. I did just find out there is a Fisher dealer not far away. Anyone have feedback on Fisher pontoon boats??

Also, does anyone have feedback on Merc Force 2-stroke motors? I don't really want a two stroke motor but there isn't much to chose from right now and there is a used pontoon with a Force 2-stroke 70 hp in the area.

dockholiday

#9 Post by dockholiday » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:31 pm

Think I would shy away from the force one.
doc

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#10 Post by lakerunner » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Fisher, Starcraft, Tracker, and Monark are in the same line quality wise. Built well and at a fair price.
Forget Force as Merc bought Chrysler marine and changed badge to force. Some were great engines but very inefficient and hard to find parts for now.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

mikeherb

#11 Post by mikeherb » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:50 am

If the 07 Tahoe with the 115 HP Merc is in your price range then you should be able to find a good number of boats that will fit the bill in the used market. I bought my boat in 2006 when it had virtually no hours on it. Got it for $5000 less than NADA. It had been repo-ed from the original owner and had some damage to the port fencing that had been repaired by a dealer. The only remaining sign of any damage is a small dent in the back of the port toon below the waterline. It's been a great boat for us and continues to perform just how we need it to.

As folks have mentioned, just do your homework and take your time. Have the motor put on a computer if it is a late model outboard. They can tell how many hours are on it, how many hours it has been run over max RPM, etc. Insist that you drive the boat before you buy it also.

You are shopping at a good time as folks who want to sell tend to be more motivated this time of year. Selling now saves them the hassle of winterization and storage.

Just4play

#12 Post by Just4play » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:45 am

Hello

What part of north id u in ?
witch big lake ?
we are extremely happy with our tracker although the local dealer has been slow in helping get some new parts . think I'm going to use the dealer in mt from now on. had a jet skier run into the side of our boat a few weekends ago and to think i always thought that happened to the other guy lol anyway insurance is covering it . section of fence n rail n a rip in one of the side curtains. we use our boat alot and have never had any problems with it or the merc.
Jeff & Donna
2006 tracker bassbuggy
Lake Pend Oreille Idaho

mike
Site Owner

#13 Post by mike » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:22 am

I had a similar issue here in boise looking for a pontoon boat, everything here is overpriced... My advice, start sweeping the las vegas and lake havasu area classifieds! I picked up a nice deal in las vegas and could still sell it here for more than I paid for it! Pontoons are perfect for lucky peak and CJ strike, we actually like going up to lake cascade the best... Good luck in your search, I will let you know if I see any good deals! :thumbsup
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho