bought the boat now I need a marine radio

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bought the boat now I need a marine radio

#1 Post by newbie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:24 pm

I want to put a marine radio on my new pontoon but there are too many brands and models. do any of ya'll have any advice on a good but affordable VHF radio (100 to 200 dollar range).

badmoonrising
Site Admin

Re: bought the boat now I need a marine radio

#2 Post by badmoonrising » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:07 pm

I have Uniden Solaras on both boats, they are dependable, cheap and readily available (got mine on eBay for $79 each brand new).
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

ROLAND

#3 Post by ROLAND » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:21 am

Ok, here comes another one of those "newbie" questions. I have a general idea of what a marine radio is. I'm assuming it's a radio where you can contact some type of emergency water patrol if you need help of some sort, correct? If that's it, do you think it's worth the money to get one even if you only use your boat on inland lakes, never in the ocean... If you do, what brands would you recommend and what do they usually run? Thanks for the help guys...

Roland
2010 Bennington 20 SFi
Yamaha F-75
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

OldePharte

#4 Post by OldePharte » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:39 am

ROLAND wrote:Ok, here comes another one of those "newbie" questions. I have a general idea of what a marine radio is. I'm assuming it's a radio where you can contact some type of emergency water patrol if you need help of some sort, correct? If that's it, do you think it's worth the money to get one even if you only use your boat on inland lakes, never in the ocean... If you do, what brands would you recommend and what do they usually run? Thanks for the help guys...

Roland
2010 Bennington 20 SFi
Yamaha F-75
I'd check with your local water patrol first to see if they monitor any channel. If they do, then it couldn't hurt.

If not, on inland lakes it would be used primarily talking to a boating buddy.

I loaded the local WP number on my cell phone; just in case.
'09 Neptoon Sport 25TT SunLounger w/150 Honda

What happens at the lake stays at the lake. Unless I have my camera handy.

curtiscapk

#5 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:15 am

I have the number in my cell phone, Can't justify the cost on Truman hardly anyone on there to talk too. :rofl :rofl :rofl :nana :nana

Sorry to hijack! :nono

Olde Pharte how you been? any hits on the house?

We added to our place at Truman. ( see the link)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4474
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

#6 Post by newbie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:14 pm

I think a marine radio is pretty important but then i have spent all my time on bodies of water that at least had marine patrol which every marine patrol and park ranger boat i have ever seen monitored ch 16 on vhf marine band. but i guess if you are boating on a small lake that DNR, Coast Guard, and your State Marine Patrol dont patrol then i guess having a radio on your boat wouldnt be much better than having a CB in your pick up. i have been out on the water too many times that my cell phone was out of range. With the radio, even if you cant reach the authorities you can usually reach another rec boat that might be able to reach them or at least can come help you themselves. plus most radios keep you up to date on NOAA weather alerts and forcasts. then there is the opinion that a marine radio on your boat makes you look cool to the chicks :biggrin2

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#7 Post by badmoonrising » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:03 am

newbie wrote:I think a marine radio is pretty important but then i have spent all my time on bodies of water that at least had marine patrol which every marine patrol and park ranger boat i have ever seen monitored ch 16 on vhf marine band. but i guess if you are boating on a small lake that DNR, Coast Guard, and your State Marine Patrol dont patrol then i guess having a radio on your boat wouldnt be much better than having a CB in your pick up. i have been out on the water too many times that my cell phone was out of range. With the radio, even if you cant reach the authorities you can usually reach another rec boat that might be able to reach them or at least can come help you themselves. plus most radios keep you up to date on NOAA weather alerts and forcasts. then there is the opinion that a marine radio on your boat makes you look cool to the chicks :biggrin2

True on every point made. Thanks for saving me some typing :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

BassFrequency

#8 Post by BassFrequency » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:26 pm

curtiscapk wrote:I have the number in my cell phone, Can't justify the cost on Truman hardly anyone on there to talk too. :rofl :rofl :rofl :nana :nana
come down river curtis. take your pick of the millions of touries that invade us every weekend :rofl :rofl

caught our 1st yacht wake today comin into port. windy as a hurricane but other than that, some of the best Easter sunday weather I can remember here in a while. have you had the boat out yet this year? I hear truman is up this spring?

sorry to hijak
24' 1989 Starcraft 23.1mph gps
60HP Evinrude
'96 GMC Jimmy "The Demon" custom 8 ball lever 4x4
no muffler or cat. just strait to the back

curtiscapk

#9 Post by curtiscapk » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Lake is only 3 ft high Great for this time of year :nana :nana

No the Floater has not seen water..

Will be going down this coming weekend, need to work on the two new lots and new trailer. A place to stay is more important than boating. Or so half my brain tells me.

Hopefully 3 weeks..
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

CT Arrow

#10 Post by CT Arrow » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:03 am

newbie wrote:I want to put a marine radio on my new pontoon but there are too many brands and models. do any of ya'll have any advice on a good but affordable VHF radio (100 to 200 dollar range).
My Biz does a lot Commercial Communication installs on Police and Fire boats in the Northeast. We tend to use higher grade equipment simply cause it lasts. Icom, Standard-Horizion is our first choices and then Uniden, Midland, West marine would be the fill ins.

Not that there is anything wrong the last three but you get what you pay for!

Your Mileage may vary! :biggrin2
2010 Harris Grand Mariner (May arrival)
22', tri-toon, 115hp Merc
Toonin' down the CT River

#11 Post by newbie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:18 pm

thats nice to hear, I bought a standard horizon. got it installed , seems to work so far, let you know how i feel about it in a couple years. thx for all of y'alls help.