Need some input

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

aquahollic

Need some input

#1 Post by aquahollic » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:21 pm

I recently joined your group for the wealth of information and hopefully to get involved in the comradery, I recently sold my SSI 220 and am looking at pontoon boats that are used. I have been overwhelmed by the total amount of brands and really have become clueless. I am currently looking at a 07 G3 lx25 with 115 yam on it in great condition. I have noticed alot of talk about the type of toons U v round etc. I have also noticed that there really is no perfect best brand and I understand that. I guess what Im looking for is an unbiased opinion on this brand, because I cant seem to find alot of direct reviews are input on it with out them being part of the company website or paid companies. So I figured the best place to get an honest evaluation is in a group such as this. I will be using the boat all over the area I like to travel to different bodies of water throughout the season including salt water in orange beach, pensacola area for some events. thanks for any input you guys can give...

cbavier

Re: Need some input

#2 Post by cbavier » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Most toons are round and for a reason. Strength. Welcome aboard. There will be several members jump in here. This topic has been discussed many, many times. Do a little surfing on this site and read the posts. At the bottom right you will find Jump to. This will list many topics and you can always do search at the top right of this page.
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

aquahollic

#3 Post by aquahollic » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 pm

I appreciate the info I have been reading alot about those tunes U v round and I find it depends on who you are reading, both have advantages and disadvantages its a matter of opinion it seems no secret formula, Im just trying to get the most bang for the buck so to speak.

georgiatoon

#4 Post by georgiatoon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:42 pm

cbavier wrote:Most toons are round and for a reason. Strength. Welcome aboard. There will be several members jump in here. This topic has been discussed many, many times. Do a little surfing on this site and read the posts. At the bottom right you will find Jump to. This will list many topics and you can always do search at the top right of this page.
But then again the manufacturer of hex shape toons claims they are stronger. Plus the design having a flat bottom in effect makes it a plainning hull. That's why some of the upscale tritoons middle toon have a flat bottom so I've read. :donno
91 ercoa clippper 19 foot
91 johnson 40 hp

margaritaman

#5 Post by margaritaman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:04 pm

georgiatoon wrote:
cbavier wrote:Most toons are round and for a reason. Strength. Welcome aboard. There will be several members jump in here. This topic has been discussed many, many times. Do a little surfing on this site and read the posts. At the bottom right you will find Jump to. This will list many topics and you can always do search at the top right of this page.
But then again the manufacturer of hex shape toons claims they are stronger. Plus the design having a flat bottom in effect makes it a plainning hull. That's why some of the upscale tritoons middle toon have a flat bottom so I've read. :donno
I do not know of any manufacturer that still makes the hex toons. There are a few that still makes the U tubes. A tri toon will have more weight capacity and be more stable than a twin toon. Lifting strakes will cause the toon to plane and you will gain speed. A pontoon water glide acts like a third toon and allow you to plane and increase speed. A tap fin is a figment of "Malcom's" imagination and is a frequently mentioned joke in this forum. That gentlemen is a short explanation of the pontoons. :biggrin2
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

georgiatoon

#6 Post by georgiatoon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:37 am

margaritaman wrote:
georgiatoon wrote:
I do not know of any manufacturer that still makes the hex toons. There are a few that still makes the U tubes. A tri toon will have more weight capacity and be more stable than a twin toon. Lifting strakes will cause the toon to plane and you will gain speed. A pontoon water glide acts like a third toon and allow you to plane and increase speed. A tap fin is a figment of "Malcom's" imagination and is a frequently mentioned joke in this forum. That gentlemen is a short explanation of the pontoons. :biggrin2

ERCOA IS THE ONLY MANUFACTURER OF THE HEXTOON THAT I KNOW OF AND THEY STILL DO :smoke
91 ercoa clippper 19 foot
91 johnson 40 hp

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#7 Post by lakerunner » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:08 am

IMO find the toon you want and don't worry which logs it has. I have had both and the only difference I can see is one is round and one isn't
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Ron Burgundy

#8 Post by Ron Burgundy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:22 am

aquahollic wrote:I will be using the boat all over the area I like to travel to different bodies of water throughout the season including salt water in orange beach, pensacola area for some events. thanks for any input you guys can give...
I ended up purchasing a 20' Fiesta. They are based in Hudson, Florida about 30 min north of my house and claim to be "DESIGNED, ENGINEERED AND BUILT FOR USE IN SALT WATER" which is where I spend all of my boating time.

If I could change anything it would be to make it a tritoon with a bigger motor, but I'm satisfied otherwise. http://www.fiestaboats.com/index.shtml

Good luck...
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

aquahollic

#9 Post by aquahollic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:17 am

Hey thanks for the information I'll check them out.

aquahollic

#10 Post by aquahollic » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Anyone know anything about he alumaweld brand I have run across one for sale with a very unique layout that I like but I have never heard of the brand.

wwind3

#11 Post by wwind3 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:16 pm

aquahollic wrote:Anyone know anything about he alumaweld brand I have run across one for sale with a very unique layout that I like but I have never heard of the brand.

Their jon boats are bulletproof...dunno bout the toons
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

Bamby

#12 Post by Bamby » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Old Name in Boating Offers a New-Style Pontoon

Demand for pontoon boats that do much more than serve as floating islands inspired Aluma-Weld Inc. of Hot Springs to expand its production beyond the complete line of fishing boats that had been its bread and butter for more than 40 years. But using its fishing boat brand name, Xpress, for a completely different type of boat with completely different customers didn't sit well with the approximately 80 Xpress dealers nationwide.

So last year, Aluma-Weld introduced an entirely new brand: Veranda Marine. Veranda has seven different series and 23 different models, with retail prices ranging from $20,000 to $50,000.

After only two seasons, Veranda still represents a fraction of Aluma-Weld's business
, according to Nathan Kyzer, national sales manager. The company's $30 million in annual revenue still comes primarily from the 2,500 to 3,000 Xpress fishing boats that it sells each year. Veranda's goal for 2007 was a modest 400 units, and the distribution system is only 18 dealers.

Source: http://www.verandamarine.com/view/28

Also See: http://www.verandamarine.com/view.php/id/7

Overall they "Read" as a sound quality made boat...
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

aquahollic

#13 Post by aquahollic » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey I appreciate that information, I have heard of the Veranda brand so makes sense.

margaritaman

#14 Post by margaritaman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:42 pm

That Veranda looks like a solid built toon. No more rotting plywood to worry about and no under skin needed.
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

aquahollic

#15 Post by aquahollic » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:45 pm

The one I have found is a 30 ft with a 150 yam on it under the express name they started with, with quad captain chairs gonna try and get more info on it tommorow