What should I look put for? I'm posting pictures of a Toon

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ckymacias

What should I look put for? I'm posting pictures of a Toon

#1 Post by ckymacias » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm getting ready to purchase a toon that needs some interor work and I was told the floor had a small soft spot.
The toon I'm looking at is a 1990 Sun Tracker 24 Tri toon 90 hp Party Barge anyone know what I should ask or inspect before I purchase this toon?
Thanks Brent
Here are some pic's of my soon to be new project...
Thanks for looking...
Also is there any advantages to having a tri-toon?

rrhodes

Re: What should I look put for? I'm posting pictures of a Toon

#2 Post by rrhodes » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 pm

3 logs gives you a higher HP and weight rating. She will also handle rough chop better. If there is a small soft spot I would bet there are more than one spot. Plan on replacing the deck.

I have seen a lot of people try to add a 3rd log however I have never seen anyone remove one...
Rick
2008 JC Neptoon 25TT
115hp Honda 4-stroke
2007 Suburban LTZ
Lake Murray, SC

ckymacias

#3 Post by ckymacias » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:22 pm

rrhodes wrote:3 logs gives you a higher HP and weight rating. She will also handle rough chop better. If there is a small soft spot I would bet there are more than one spot. Plan on replacing the deck.

I have seen a lot of people try to add a 3rd log however I have never seen anyone remove one...
Thanks for the info on the tri-toon! I figured I was going to have replace the decking too...
So would I also be able to pull toys with this size model?

bassn386

#4 Post by bassn386 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 pm

You will be able to pull some towables, but with a 90 hp on the back end you won't be going very fast. You might want to see what the max hp is allowed for this model and possibly look for a rebuilt/remanufactured engine in that size. Don't know how many hours are on that motor, but at 21, even with low hours you could be looking at some $$ to get it running properly.
As far as the soft spots are concerned, I'm with the others; you are probably better off replacing the entire deck.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

ckymacias

#5 Post by ckymacias » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:18 pm

bassn386 wrote:You will be able to pull some towables, but with a 90 hp on the back end you won't be going very fast. You might want to see what the max hp is allowed for this model and possibly look for a rebuilt/remanufactured engine in that size. Don't know how many hours are on that motor, but at 21, even with low hours you could be looking at some $$ to get it running properly.
As far as the soft spots are concerned, I'm with the others; you are probably better off replacing the entire deck.
Thanks I will look into that...
Will I even see 20mph with a boat of this size and age? I know a lot depends on how many hours on the motor and how often it was kept up with maintenance…

bassn386

#6 Post by bassn386 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:53 pm

I had a '93 Suncruiser 240 Jamaica with a 115 hp Evinrude on the back. We could get a skier up if we didn't have the boat loaded down with people and fuel. We also pulled a tube, but it was a 2 person and I think we could get in the 20s. It's been too long and too many brain cells have died! The old 'rude was kind of a gas hog, but we didn't worry too much about fuel usage because we were having too much fun.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

ckymacias

#7 Post by ckymacias » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:03 pm

bassn386 wrote:I had a '93 Suncruiser 240 Jamaica with a 115 hp Evinrude on the back. We could get a skier up if we didn't have the boat loaded down with people and fuel. We also pulled a tube, but it was a 2 person and I think we could get in the 20s. It's been too long and too many brain cells have died! The old 'rude was kind of a gas hog, but we didn't worry too much about fuel usage because we were having too much fun.
To funny, thanks for the info...

mike
Site Owner

#8 Post by mike » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:18 am

Is that middle toon only a partial? It looks like it only goes a few feet back? Strange, is it sealed or did someone cut it off for some reason?
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

yellowk9

#9 Post by yellowk9 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:46 am

mike wrote:Is that middle toon only a partial? It looks like it only goes a few feet back? Strange, is it sealed or did someone cut it off for some reason?
There's a party barge(hut?) down the road from me that has that same partial middle toon in the front. I think that's a factory feature in some of those models.
2002 Sweetwater 20RE
2002 90 HP Suzuki 4-Stroke

ckymacias

#10 Post by ckymacias » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:47 am

mike wrote:Is that middle toon only a partial? It looks like it only goes a few feet back? Strange, is it sealed or did someone cut it off for some reason?
It looks factory, I wonder if this will handle differen't with the toon this short?

ckymacias

#11 Post by ckymacias » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:20 am

Well I picked her up last night she towed like a dream, but then again everything I tow with my Yota feels the same.
Motor started up right away and the toons are like new no cracks, scratches, or huge dents from rough use. I still have a lot of work ahead of me I plan on ripping the whole floor off and replacing it with a rhino coated under belly, good thing I work for a RV MFG so I have access to all the things I need at MFG cost. Except for carpet and marine glue which I’m still having one of our vendors look into.
I know this is going to cost me still but I love restoring toys with my hands, and I already have a lot of friends offering to come over and help, which means they drink beer :drink2 while I work... But at least I can make them pay :bowdown for the gas when we go out…
I will post up my before and after photos as I make progress…
Thanks again for everyone’s help… :nana

curtiscapk

#12 Post by curtiscapk » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:37 am

NIce yours is only couple years older than mine, which I had that mini 3rd though.. :nana
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

rrhodes

#13 Post by rrhodes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:21 am

I would not use the rhino underneath. It will actually hold moisture in. Look into underskinning with aluminium this will increase performance and still let the deck breath.
Rick
2008 JC Neptoon 25TT
115hp Honda 4-stroke
2007 Suburban LTZ
Lake Murray, SC

ckymacias

#14 Post by ckymacias » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:00 am

curtiscapk wrote:NIce yours is only couple years older than mine, which I had that mini 3rd though.. :nana
Thanks! Do you mean you wish you had the 3rd toon? Question between your toons is the floor exposed or enclosed (mine is enclosed with aluminum panels)? I think the owner of mine enclosed the under belly of mine and just wanted to see if he did it or if it was something the factory offered?

rrhodes

#15 Post by rrhodes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 am

That is good news. Underskinning gives you a smoother ride because the water can't pound the supports and gives you better performance.

Slap some marine grade plywood on there and flooring and you are good to go.
Rick
2008 JC Neptoon 25TT
115hp Honda 4-stroke
2007 Suburban LTZ
Lake Murray, SC