Which Fish Finder ?

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

RobRoy

Which Fish Finder ?

#1 Post by RobRoy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:22 pm

I usually joke when people ask me where my fish-finder is. ..of course this is my first boat right ?

Like I know what a fish finder is ?

I simply tell them that it's at the end of my pole. :nana

...but I really want to get one. Just don't really have any input as to which one is best. ...or at least best for teh money.

Any recommendations here ?
2006 24' Sun Tracker w/ Full Enclosure, 75 HP Mercury OB

steveiam

Re: Which Fish Finder ?

#2 Post by steveiam » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:41 am

This is much like the question of "what toon should I buy" Rob.
What kind of fishing do you do, that would help to know, but that being said, I have a Lowrance HDS 8 with structure/sidescan and love it.
If I were to buy new knowing what I know now I would opt for a Hummingbird with at least an 8 inch screen and structure sidescan.
The prices are very similar and both are great units, but the Hummingbird seems to be a bit more user friendly (easier to learn) and from what i hear their customer service if their is a problem is outstanding.
If you just want to know how deep you are, water temp, and if there is "something" down there, the lower priced units will do that.
But I will never go back to that now that I have used my FF.
Love the info it gives you, but it wont make them bite.
You tube the two units or whatever else you are looking at and you can see what you will be seeing on the lake.
good Luck!
I often wonder if Jimmy really did crack corn, and why should I care?

bassn386

#3 Post by bassn386 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:56 am

Rob, what Steve is talking about is an order of magnitude more expensive than a basic fish finder. Kind of like saying a Ford Focus and a Maybach are both passenger cars.
Along with what features are important to you, what is the size of your wallet?
I've had pretty good luck with Garmin, but there's a Lowrance and Humminbird cult out there that wouldn't use anything else. I had so many problems with my first Lowrance units I wouldn't have another.
If you have a good bait and tackle store close to you, go there and talk to fishermen who frequent the place. Most likely, somebody who works there is an avid fisherman and will be happy to impart their experience.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Texoma Toon

#4 Post by Texoma Toon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:11 am

Since this is your first boat and first fish finder I would recommend a basic unit of any of the three brands. Get the largest screen you can afford. If you are night fishing then you probably should get one that includes a GPS.
Learn to use it well to find the bait fish on structure and your catch rate will go up accordingly.
2007 G3 LX 22 Fish & Cruise
90 Hp Yammy
Dual Axle Trailer

The proud American will go down into Obama's slavery without a fight, beating his chest and proclaiming to the world how free he really is. The world will only snicker. - Pravda

Ron Burgundy

#5 Post by Ron Burgundy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 am

If you can give a pricepoint we can probably do a better job of recommending something. The prices vary greatly.
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen