Suggestions for fishfinders?

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

realter

Suggestions for fishfinders?

#1 Post by realter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm looking for a good fish finder, and don't need anything too fancy or expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks

SeaBreeze

Re: Suggestions for fishfinders?

#2 Post by SeaBreeze » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:53 pm

The Lowrance Elite 4 has good features and GPS for a reasonable price. I have the elite 4 and a x-67c on my toon and like both for what they designed to do. Best to determine what features your willing to live with and shop for those first, price second and brand third IMO.
2012 Cypress Cay Seabreeze 230 Fish 90hp Merc
Lifting strakes and under skinned

REPETE

#3 Post by REPETE » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:48 am

Have you worked with one before realter? If not, I would test a few out at stores. Most have some sort of display you can play with. For me, anything more than a basic display is wasted money. In fact, several years ago when in Canada I used a very simply Eagle Fish Finder and I liked it much more than my more expensive Lowrance.

What type of fishing do you do and what boat is this for?

EDIT: YES! GPS is huge!
Just verified it on Snopes. Liberals are complete mouth breathing idiots.

I shanked my lover because hoes kept stealing my taco's.

Hawk_308

#4 Post by Hawk_308 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:52 am

SeaBreeze wrote:The Lowrance Elite 4 has good features and GPS for a reasonable price. I have the elite 4 and a x-67c on my toon and like both for what they designed to do. Best to determine what features your willing to live with and shop for those first, price second and brand third IMO.

How has it done for you ,I have a little OT money and was thinking about the unit. Ive had good luck with Lowrance in the pass on my bassboats .
1988 24' Party Barge pushed by a 75hp cmc trim 17p 4 blade prop

bassn386

#5 Post by bassn386 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Garmin has a couple of basic units in black & white. I've had my Garmin 250 for almost 8 years. No GPS, but it's been very reliable. This is on my bass boat and I had the dealer put a Garmin 240 on my Bennington.
Go to Bass Pro or Cabela's and look at all the models and tell the sales guy what you want it for. Most of them are more than willing to explain the features/benefits without any sales pressure.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Rascal

#6 Post by Rascal » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Get the biggest screen that you can afford with side scan and down scan sonar. Your a Realtor, spread a little of that big money you make around (lol). (I'm a MI retired Re/max broker).

Garmin 741xs, Raymarine a78 and Simrad NSS7 evo 2 are all good starting level 7" units in the $1,500 area. Mostly used in salt water. If your a fresh water inland "pond hopper" I hear the Humminbird 899 HDSI is a good unit. Try the THT (The Hull Truth) forum for good info on all the newest high tech units. Side/down scan sonar is the way to go...

Kind regards,

Rascal
Fishing Year Round SW Florida
Gulf Coast & Pine Island Sound

Premier 22' 2012 Cast A Way
115 hp Honda, 15.5 x 13 prop
Sea Star Power Steering
Day Enclosure
Loan Star Anchor Winch
Fixed Mount ipad Air for
Navigation & Satellite Weather

SeaBreeze

#7 Post by SeaBreeze » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:44 am

Hawk_308 wrote:
SeaBreeze wrote:The Lowrance Elite 4 has good features and GPS for a reasonable price. I have the elite 4 and a x-67c on my toon and like both for what they designed to do. Best to determine what features your willing to live with and shop for those first, price second and brand third IMO.

How has it done for you ,I have a little OT money and was thinking about the unit. Ive had good luck with Lowrance in the pass on my bassboats .
They have worked great and cost reasonable for what I wanted, a basic fishfinder and GPS to mark locations. I do not need a sidescan sonar (I had one on my bassboat and I admit it is cool to see all the stuff on the bottom of the lake ) nor did I want to spend $2500 bucks on something I am using to fish know underwater structures. I needed good depth, water temperature and location information for the fishing I do and I very seldom travel to new lakes to fish where sidescan sonar can really help you learn the lake quickly.

I agree with the last few posters, if you going to do some serious fishing, get something bigger (screen size is small on the Elite 4) and more features to locate fish structures. Best thing to do is to figure out exactly what you want it to do and then find the one that fits your requirements without reguard to brand or cost, you will be much happier with the result.

BobG

#8 Post by BobG » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:45 pm

I use a team of trained otters, which dive and locate the fish, then carry my lure to the fishes mouth, and set the hook for me.
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

curtiscapk

#9 Post by curtiscapk » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:52 pm

you sir are a nutbag!! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :eviltaunt
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

BobG

#10 Post by BobG » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:48 pm

HAH! You haven't seen the price that the Trained Otter Team demands to perform this service!!!

Who woulda thought that otters can tell the difference between Crown Royal Reserve and Seagrams Seven?
Yes, they're a Canadian Otter Team!
No, they won't settle for a pint of maple syrup and a six-pack of Molson.
And this time of year, they are completely unavailable, because they're watching the Stanley Cup playoffs.

They're SLACKERS, I tellya!
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

SeaBreeze

#11 Post by SeaBreeze » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:34 pm

BobG wrote:I use a team of trained otters, which dive and locate the fish, then carry my lure to the fishes mouth, and set the hook for me.
The problem with this techique is I would have nothing better to do but drink my beer before I am done fishing and then, I would have to return to shore early, then my wife would make me go home and work and then I would be unhappy.

No otters for me, I will stick to the untrained fish finder and happiness. :thumbsup

Hawk_308

#12 Post by Hawk_308 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Well I have a Mark 4 HDI inbound , didnt see where the color was worth 79 more bucks .

The screen is small but its going to be a little over a foot from my face when at the helm so that should not be bad . If I put a trolling motor on my pontoon boat Ill do like I did on my bass boat and put a larger unit up front so I can see it while moving around on the boat .
1988 24' Party Barge pushed by a 75hp cmc trim 17p 4 blade prop