First Time Pontoon Owner. (Rebuild Start Now)

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Trollin79

First Time Pontoon Owner. (Rebuild Start Now)

#1 Post by Trollin79 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:16 am

Here it is. I am picking it up next week. This is my $1200 find. An older 28ft pontoon that need some serious love.

This all started fathers day while at the lake with my wife and 5 kids. We were on the beach and my oldest was talking how she wish we had a boat. My wife casually remarks that if we didn't have to by christmas and the family all skipped one birthday we would have enough to buy a boat. This later snowballed into all the kids talking about it then they agreed to do it. Completely shocked I was like ok.

After looking online at some boats we decided since our family is so big and if we ever wanted to take friends or family besides our own with us a pontoon would be the best option. While researching some pontoon information I came across this forum. Thats when I decided we can rebuild a pontoon exactly the way we want and for cheaper than the equivalent one would be newer. Mentioning this at work the next day one of my coworkers said he had this and I can have it for cheap just to get it out of his hair.

So Here begins my journey. This pontoon is probably gonna be the death of me but Im ready for the challenge. I will be doing a new deck. Carpet with Vinyl swim decks, and new furniture. All for hopefully around a 6-8k budget. we will see. After I get it home next week I will strip it down and take it to get the Logs tested for leaks and to get the fins repaired on the port side. Then to make sure the motor is good. From there the fun stuff.

Question if anyone can help me out.
1. Where is the best place to order the decking from. I just don't want it tore up to bad getting it delivered.
2. Anyone on here from the Tulsa area that can recommend some aluminum welders that have experience with pontoon repairs.
3 This came with a 75 HP motor. How well do you think it will that push this big @ss boat!
4. Am I in over my head lol

Cant wait to share my journey on here!!

RcgTexas

Re: First Time Pontoon Owner. (Rebuild Start Now)

#2 Post by RcgTexas » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:25 am

First, Welcome!

Second, Are you good with your hands?
Am I in over my head?
may apply! :wink: :biggrin2

Is the wood deck that bad? would a sanding help or is it rotten?

You have your work cut out for you but if your hearts in it you will prevail. :thumbsup

You might get 20 mph with that motor with a family on it but a two log boat doesn't go much faster unless you have a big motor and own stock in Exxon. :roll:

pontoon stuff is a great place and member ship here will get you a discount, look at the top right of the page.

IF something is wrong the owner will go out of his way to make it right is my experience and that of others here.
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

Trollin79

#3 Post by Trollin79 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:29 am

I am OK at everything I do :D but I don't mind hard work.

I have seriously though about adding a 3rd log with a transom and tank in it. I figured its gonna be about 2k investment to do that. Been wondering if it would be worth it. If the motor turns out to be good and I don't spend to much there I might bite the bullet and do it.

*Cool didn't see the discount thats awesome.

curtiscapk

#4 Post by curtiscapk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:36 pm

PontoonStuff.com will be your best friend! We get a 10% discount code is on the top right of this page.

If you have the time read the rebuild link in my signature... lot's of tips and what not to do!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

Trollin79

#5 Post by Trollin79 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:52 pm

curtiscapk wrote:PontoonStuff.com will be your best friend! We get a 10% discount code is on the top right of this page.

If you have the time read the rebuild link in my signature... lot's of tips and what not to do!
Yeah, yours was the first post about rebuilding I read. You did a nice blog and good job on your pontoon. That was awesome of pontoon stuff to sponsor you build.

On that Note I also blame you for me wanting to rebuild a boat instead of buy one!! :nono

smltooner

#6 Post by smltooner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Welcome to the club.
Lots of great advice here.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

Averyps

#7 Post by Averyps » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Best of luck!!!

curtiscapk

#8 Post by curtiscapk » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:25 am

Trollin79 wrote:
curtiscapk wrote:PontoonStuff.com will be your best friend! We get a 10% discount code is on the top right of this page.

Yeah, yours was the first post about rebuilding I read. You did a nice blog and good job on your pontoon. That was awesome of pontoon stuff to sponsor you build.

On that Note I also blame you for me wanting to rebuild a boat instead of buy one!! :nono

lol oops :alright :eviltaunt
Craig and Paula
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#9 Post by lakerunner » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:07 pm

If you can't find one closer to you I highly recommend this guy in Tahlequah.Capes Welding & Fabrication
1005 E Lowe Dr, Tahlequah, OK 74464
(918) 453-0594
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Trollin79

#10 Post by Trollin79 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:39 pm

Well I have been searching for a donor boat because I was gonna put a third log under it and since this boat was so stripped I was hoping to find some stuff I could use off the donor boat. In the process I stumbled across a 1988 Play craft with an upper deck and a inboard engine with about 20 hours on it before it got winterized and parked for 4 years do to health issues. Boat need upholstery and new deck but everything else seems to be really good. Thinking I might buy this boat and sell the other now. :donno so many decisions.. My wife just wants me to make up my mind already :D

abypfcs

#11 Post by abypfcs » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:56 am

Sounds like it could be a fun and very rewarding project. Keep us updated with pictures on your progress.

Good Luck.
[i][size=85]2014 Bennington 18SFX
Yamaha T60LB
Minn Kota I-pilot 55lb 54"
Lowrance HDS 7
Power Pole Blade
Wash Down System[/size][/i]

curtiscapk

#12 Post by curtiscapk » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:39 pm

Trollin79 wrote:Well I have been searching for a donor boat because I was gonna put a third log under it and since this boat was so stripped I was hoping to find some stuff I could use off the donor boat. In the process I stumbled across a 1988 Play craft with an upper deck and a inboard engine with about 20 hours on it before it got winterized and parked for 4 years do to health issues. Boat need upholstery and new deck but everything else seems to be really good. Thinking I might buy this boat and sell the other now. :donno so many decisions.. My wife just wants me to make up my mind already :D

choose this one if motor runs!
Craig and Paula
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

photonfanatic

#13 Post by photonfanatic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:57 am

Can't wait!! I love an old restoration project like this.

Trollin79

#14 Post by Trollin79 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:40 am

Well I did it. I bought the Playcraft to rebuild. So now I am selling the boat trailer and motor listed above for $1200 So if anyone want a project boat let me know I got one for you. IMO to trailer alone on this thing is worth the money.. Oh and the original post claimed it was 28ft is wrong. its only 24ft. Found this out while trying to swap trailers with my new project. I will be starting a new thread for the Playcraft rebuild.