Cypress Cay/Harris boat order

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mpilot

Cypress Cay/Harris boat order

#1 Post by mpilot » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Anyone have experience with dealing with them? We ordered our boat Valentine's Weekend at the boat show and did a good bit of customization. Sales guy told us 6-8 weeks, but then there were some changes from the engineers at the plant on what we wanted to do and what they felt comfortable doing in regards to the full enclosure. Once we decided all that another guy at the dealer said 6-10 weeks. Well here we are 10 weeks in and the boat hasn't even shipped yet. I assume once it ships it will be at least another week before we get to take delivery between time in transit (it's 11 hours so I figure 2 days with the trucker rules) and rigging (motor, dual bimini tops, enclosure etc. It's being made in the Harris Factory so I wanted to see if anyone had experience with the lead times on custom boats from either of these manufacturers.

On a positive note we are very excited as we got a heck of a deal on the boat and were very pleased with the overall quality of the boats. In that price class the fit and finish of the seats, structure, etc seemed to be above and beyond the other brands we looked at (Avalon/Tahoe, JC Spirit, Crest I & II, etc). Hopefully soon I'll get the boat so I can put pictures up on the site. We did some pretty neat changes to the boat that I think other members might want to consider when ordering a center walkthrough floorplan.

zoom650

Re: Cypress Cay/Harris boat order

#2 Post by zoom650 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:47 am

Harris took 12 weeks to deliver my 2014. You'll be lucky to see it by Memorial Day. Maybe you'll do better than I did.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

mpilot

#3 Post by mpilot » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:33 am

zoom650 wrote:Harris took 12 weeks to deliver my 2014. You'll be lucky to see it by Memorial Day. Maybe you'll do better than I did.

If it takes 12 weeks would put it at May 9th. Dealer is supposed to try and get me a fairly firm date today from the factory. At least it seems like from that response I'm not being duped by the dealer....why would they give such a low lead time on something they know is going to take twice as long?

Maholli

#4 Post by Maholli » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:26 am

Seems like it almost always 12-16 weeks but i have heard this time of year its longer from some manufacturers

mpilot

#5 Post by mpilot » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:01 pm

Maholli wrote:Seems like it almost always 12-16 weeks but i have heard this time of year its longer from some manufacturers
Yeah that was my concern when we purchased the boat...I asked on numerous occasions and the sales rep at the dealer assured me 6-8 weeks was very doable on the boat even with all of the changes/upgrades. Then, a week or two in the person at the dealer that works directly with the manufacturer called and changed a few things to make the engineers happy and told me we were looking at 6-10 weeks, and I confirmed this meant 6-10 weeks from purchase date and not from that date and he confirmed on multiple occasions. Now we are 10 weeks in and the boat isn't finished and the dealer allegedly is getting the run around on a set date to ship from the manufacturer. I'm a day or so away from just calling the factory direct and seeing if anyone will talk to me and tell me what the heck is going on. We have company coming to visit in a couple of weeks and the other boat is already out of the water and up for sale and I don't feel like dragging it back to the lake for one day on the water. Plus it's a big crowd and the old boat was a 20 ft bowrider which isn't the best for 6-8 people and a day out on the water.

I don't know why they would tell you a time frame that is completely impossible to meet. It would be nice if you could do it like a construction process and build in penalties for time overages. If the boat won't be here next week and no one can give me an answer I'm going to at least ask for use of a boat that is at least the same model as ours and is on the lot.

zoom650

#6 Post by zoom650 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:50 am

Just a tip for when its time to take delivery: You ordered the dual binimi? So did I. Let the dealer demonstrate installing the mooring cover before you leave and make sure it fits. Mine did not fit, and once I got off my dealer's lot (2 hour trip for me), it was a pain in the ass to get it made right.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

mpilot

#7 Post by mpilot » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 am

zoom650 wrote:Just a tip for when its time to take delivery: You ordered the dual binimi? So did I. Let the dealer demonstrate installing the mooring cover before you leave and make sure it fits. Mine did not fit, and once I got off my dealer's lot (2 hour trip for me), it was a pain in the ass to get it made right.
Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, we are going over there when it arrives and going to put both biminis up and down, install the mooring cover, install the full enclosure, etc. We also want to check that all of the changes we requested were made to the boat and give it a once over. We live on the water and have access to trailers for pulling the boat out to clean and therefore we didn't order one. This dealer is around an hour away and only charges $95 to come and pick the boat up and drop it back off for servicing. It's not really an option for us to get the boat with things wrong on it and have to pay them to come pick it up and make it right and they weren't keen on eating that $95 charge if something was wrong so we both agreed a good couple of hours on the lot checking it out was the best plan of action.

mpilot

#8 Post by mpilot » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Finally got a response today...Boat's completion date is 5/3. I have asked the sales rep what does that mean for actual ship date, rigging date, and delivery date. Hopefully they have a truckload of boats ready and it will ship shortly after completion. It would be great to have it for Mother's Day weekend but not looking likely. At least it looks like I may have it in time for company. Thanks for all of your input so far in this thread.

Tim in Michigan

#9 Post by Tim in Michigan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:53 pm

Hopefully your new Pontoon will be delivered soon. Not sure how Pontoon manufactures ship product but, in the automobile business we ship vehicles from the factory on trucks that go to a central shipping lot. From there the vehicles may be transferred to different trucks at different lots two or three times before they are put on a final truck that is going to a specific city or group of dealers. I have had Chevy Suburbans made in Arlington Texas take 3-4 weeks to get to Lansing Michigan after they have left the factory. The truck hauling them out of the factory is never the same truck that is used to deliver them to the dealer. I know you did not want to hear this, but just in case. Again, i'm not sure how pontoons ship. I understand your excitement.
2014 Bennington 2375 GCW
90 Mercury

mpilot

#10 Post by mpilot » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:51 pm

I hope that's not how it works, but you never know. I know the manufacturers here wait until there is a full load going to a dealer then ship. Luckily this dealer has three locations so it should be easier to get a truck load together if that's how cypress cay does it. Hopefully more answers are going to come from them tomorrow. I also found out that they said I needed to do a 20 hour service, but after some research that won't be necessary for thewarranty on the Mercury. If we run the new boat as much as the last one I'm already looking at two services a year so if I can skip that first one it'll help.

We had a great experience through the design and purchase portion of the boat, but getting any info from them once they got started has been like pulling teeth. Hopefully it goes back to that good relationship with them once the boat arrives. They are further away than other mercury service centers but since they can also do warranty work on the boat the plan is now to do all service work through them for the first few years.

D.L.

#11 Post by D.L. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:23 pm

mpilot wrote:I hope that's not how it works, but you never know. I know the manufacturers here wait until there is a full load going to a dealer then ship. Luckily this dealer has three locations so it should be easier to get a truck load together if that's how cypress cay does it. Hopefully more answers are going to come from them tomorrow. I also found out that they said I needed to do a 20 hour service, but after some research that won't be necessary for thewarranty on the Mercury. If we run the new boat as much as the last one I'm already looking at two services a year so if I can skip that first one it'll help.

We had a great experience through the design and purchase portion of the boat, but getting any info from them once they got started has been like pulling teeth. Hopefully it goes back to that good relationship with them once the boat arrives. They are further away than other mercury service centers but since they can also do warranty work on the boat the plan is now to do all service work through them for the first few years.
I wrote the deposit check on my Harris on 2/8 and was told 6-8 weeks. I took delivery on 4/22 11 weeks later basically. It arrived at the dealer 4/12 but they had an in the water boat show that weekend and didn't touch it for 9 days. All they had to do was install biminis and ski bar on mine, motor came factory installed.
2016 Harris Solstice 240 DLCB
Mercury Verado 200

mpilot

#12 Post by mpilot » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:30 pm

D.L. wrote:
mpilot wrote:I hope that's not how it works, but you never know. I know the manufacturers here wait until there is a full load going to a dealer then ship. Luckily this dealer has three locations so it should be easier to get a truck load together if that's how cypress cay does it. Hopefully more answers are going to come from them tomorrow. I also found out that they said I needed to do a 20 hour service, but after some research that won't be necessary for thewarranty on the Mercury. If we run the new boat as much as the last one I'm already looking at two services a year so if I can skip that first one it'll help.

I wrote the deposit check on my Harris on 2/8 and was told 6-8 weeks. I took delivery on 4/22 11 weeks later basically. It arrived at the dealer 4/12 but they had an in the water boat show that weekend and didn't touch it for 9 days. All they had to do was install biminis and ski bar on mine, motor came factory installed.
The nice thing with mine will be that the bimini tops were already installed at the factory because of the enclosure, but they have to take them off and then reinstall them at the dealer but I think they leave the brackets so that part should be quick. If the motor is pre rigged that would help too. Tried calling today and left a message but no return call, unfortunatley it's becoming sort of the norm for them to take 3 or 4 days to get back in touch with me over the last month and a half or so and I've only emailed them twice and called them twice so it's not like I'm breathing down their neck...yet. Either way I am excited, especially seeing the new boats everyone else is getting.

mpilot

#13 Post by mpilot » Tue May 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Boat is built and I have the Hull ID and information on it, just waiting on a truck load to head this way. Dealer said it could ship immediately or it could be a week or two, but they will know as soon as it is on a truck headed this way. Looking forward to the call anytime in the next couple of weeks now. We may have it before Memorial Day weekend after all.

robertm

#14 Post by robertm » Wed May 04, 2016 10:03 am

Waiting is the worst! Hopefully it will be in your slip soon enough. Snap some pics once she arrives :biggrin2
'Miss Kelley'
2015 Berkshire 253 RFX Super Sport
Yamaha F200 LB
14.5" X 15P SS Reliance
2015 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

mpilot

#15 Post by mpilot » Thu May 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Good news is the boat is on a truck somewhere headed this way. I'm not sure when but the Cypress Cay Rep told the dealer it should be in hopefully first thing in the morning. We are going to finalize paperwork on it and double check it before they deliver it. If it comes in early enough tomorrow we may get to take delivery tomorrow, if not then Saturday morning if all goes as planned. I'll post pictures in the general forum once it arrives. I've been dealing with the sales rep from the boat show which is actually at another location of the same dealership until this week and then they transitioned me over to the local dealership to line up everything and I have to say, everything at this point has gone much more smoothly than the other guy, and they have been up front with a lot more info. The customer service team at Cypress Cay has also been great in relaying information once they realized it wasn't getting passed on to me.