Harris Pontoon Wiring Information/Tips

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

PontoonOwnerX

Harris Pontoon Wiring Information/Tips

#1 Post by PontoonOwnerX » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Hello all. New member here after having purchased a used 2013 Harris Grand Mariner. We love the boat and layout, but I'm looking to make it our own with some modifications. The First thing I want to do is add a second battery for house loads, as the boat only has one battery at this time.

The battery disconnect switch is a dual circuit plus, but in the off position everything on the boat still functions. The ONLY thing the disconnect switch actually does is prevent starting the motor. This already doesn't seem right to me, and is something I'd like to change while adding another battery.

That being said, are there any Harris owners here who have tips/input on how Harris wires their boats as a starting point for me adding another battery? I appreciate any input I can get as it seems Harris does not put any information on the web concerning their boats other than marketing information.

(I really dislike having to go through a dealer to get parts and/or information. I'm surprised boat manufacturers don't offer parts/accessories to owners directly.)

james

teecro

Re: Harris Pontoon Wiring Information/Tips

#2 Post by teecro » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:24 am

Ok so what you have said is that the boat already has a Blue Sea Dual Circuit Plus Switch but only has ONE Battery right? If this be the case then the switch is working as it should as all it does is isolate battery 1 & battery 2 from each other and combine them when switched for emergency starting. It sounds as if the previous owner started the install and never finished or there is another battery hiding somewhere that you haven't found. Is this your switch? https://www.bluesea.com/products/5511e/ ... ery_Switch there you will find lots of helpful drawings on completing this installation. For a complete 2 battery system you will need another battery and various cables; you will also need a charging relay also from Blue Sea. Again go to Blue Sea's website for lots of helpful info.

As to boat manf not selling directly to the owners directly. Very few do and I can't say that I blame them for this at all. It is very time consuming for them to dedicate personal with trying to figure out what an owner wants and/or needs when many don't have a clue to even the proper name of the part itself. The dealership is the middleman he is your point of contact for parts MADE by the manf. Parts such as the disconnect switch were made by someone else an are best sourced from elsewhere.
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

PontoonOwnerX

#3 Post by PontoonOwnerX » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. I checked the back of the switch and there is only one set of positives to the switch. Everything in the boat is wired to the one battery. I was mistaken thinking that in off everything would be off and not just the cranking wires.

When I add a second battery I'll use the Blue Seas ACR and follow their directions. The difficult part will be separating everything from the current battery (no pun intended!) other than just the cranking cirtcuit to the motor.

Appreciate the help.

If anyone else knows any specifics about how Harris runs their circuits/harnesses please chime in.

James

MH Hawker

#4 Post by MH Hawker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:34 pm

boat wiring is generic to a standard color code
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

ralph

#5 Post by ralph » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:06 pm

I cannot tell you how to hook it up. A friend of mine did my boat.

However, when you get to buying the cables, measure the distance from the batteries to the switch. I had West Marine make my cables. They will use tinned wire which is important.

Also, they have the crimping tools to do it properly. Don't just use automotive grade cables.
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon