Removing hard mildew stains

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

kc4yxb

Removing hard mildew stains

#1 Post by kc4yxb » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:11 pm

It appears the only thing that truly works right before your eyes is 50/50 bleach and water. Spray on, wait a minute and THOROUGHLY wash off with water! Is there really anything that works as good or better and hopefully less damaging to the threads on my cushions using the bleach with water combo?
JohnC aka kc4yxb.

JerEazy

Re: Removing hard mildew stains

#2 Post by JerEazy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:04 am

kc4yxb wrote:It appears the only thing that truly works right before your eyes is 50/50 bleach and water. Spray on, wait a minute and THOROUGHLY wash off with water! Is there really anything that works as good or better and hopefully less damaging to the threads on my cushions using the bleach with water combo?
JohnC aka kc4yxb.

That an Magic Erasers (or off brand) are the only things i've found to work. But like you said, both are nasty to your threads and cushions overall.
-Beaches Love Me

'03 Odyssey 21- 90hp Johnson

Drago

#3 Post by Drago » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:29 pm

Be super careful with the 50/50 Clorox solution. It will work. Keep it off the stitching and any other fabric like the lettering on some seats (our Bennington). Another product that we found that appears to work nearly as well is Starbrite concentrated Vinyl Cleaner and Shampoo. If I remember correctly, It has the same active ingredient as Clorox.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH

guy48065

#4 Post by guy48065 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:38 am

Reviewing the mildew topic using Search, there's a lot of positive comments on "Mean Green Mildew Destroyer".
I bought a bottle of it (Dollar General) and a bottle of Jomax house cleaner & mildew killer. Mixed that with bleach per directions.
Also took a bottle of L.A.s Totally Awesome and a bottle of Tilex out to the boat.

All these have their fans.

The only one that REALLY worked well was the Mean Green Mildew Destroyer. As in faded the stains "right before my eyes". Tilex was a distant 2nd. Jomax did nothing to fade the stain but it's supposed to KILL the mildew spores so they don't come back, so might be a good 2nd step.

The Mean Green has a STRONG bleach smell so all the cautions about keeping it off fabrics & stitching apply.
The breeze blew some back on me and I can tell you it's also an excellent Shirt Destroyer!
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI