22' Pontoon Build

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Beachpig

22' Pontoon Build

#1 Post by Beachpig » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:46 pm

Sold my 14' toon I built last year because ended up needing more room for friends and family. Found a couple scratch and dent tubes at a Marina a few hours North of where I live. Drove up last week and picked them up. They were suppose to be 22' and 25". Got home and realized they were 19.5' long. Oh well I could live with it. Bought about half of the cross members I was going to need and drilled the holes and bolted them up. Using 1/8" square tubing. When I got done I noticed the top of one of the logs was slightly narrower. And then it hit me... One of these logs is a smaller diameter and sure enough one was 23" and one was 25". Wow. Rented another trailer and drove back North 4 hours round trip and luckily they still had the original 22' tubes I was suppose to get the first time. These 2 ones have 5 1/2" lifting strakes on one side each. Brought them back and luckily 3 of the 4 holes lined up on the new tubes. Got them bolted up and sent a photo to someone I am looking at possibly doing some welding of a center tube and they noticed I had the lifting stakes on the outside and not the inside and he suggested switching the tubes to the other side. I did some research and it looks like he is correct and that if you only have strakes on one side of tube they suggest put the strakes on the inside for better turning ability. Wow. So I have started unbolting them cross members again and will switch the tubes around this week. When it rains it pours lol. These tubes were dirty and I used the Napa brand aluminum brightener. I used it on my last toon as well. It does a good job but I know some people don't like the dull finish it leaves. I am not going to be polishing these ever so I prefer clean and dull rather than dirty. I am trying to decide on a transom pod and pony log or integrated transom tube. The transom tubes are very expensive and will kill my budget but I don't want to have any regrets as I plan on having this boat for a long time. I am in the process of pressure testing the tubes. Went to hardware store and bought everything I needed to make a tester. I tightened it as tight as I could only to find out that everyone one of the 8 joints in my homemade tester leaked because I didn't use Teflon tape. So far I found a pin hole leak right next to the air valve opening. Used soapy water and saw the bubble. Ill post updates as I go along and I appreciate all of the previous posts that helped me with my last and current build.
Last edited by Beachpig on Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bamaman

Re: 22' Pontoon Build

#2 Post by Bamaman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:18 am

You've made a good start. Keep us posted on your build.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

abypfcs

#3 Post by abypfcs » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:35 am

I really admire those that have the ability to do these types of things. Great start, it appears. I am one that if I pick up any tool, and don't draw blood, I feel a major accomplishment. :biggrin2
[i][size=85]2014 Bennington 18SFX
Yamaha T60LB
Minn Kota I-pilot 55lb 54"
Lowrance HDS 7
Power Pole Blade
Wash Down System[/size][/i]

Beachpig

#4 Post by Beachpig » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm torn between just adding a 3/4 length tube and transom pan rather than spending all that money on a fully integrated tube. I will probably start off with a 115hp motor and maybe upgrade to a 150hp. All that extra cash could go towards the marine plywood, flooring etc. Since this is a ground up build I at least want to do the 3/4 log as I know id kick myself later if I tried to add one after I was already done with the build. Any input from those who were in the same situation.

willy13

#5 Post by willy13 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:25 am

Beachpig wrote:I'm torn between just adding a 3/4 length tube and transom pan rather than spending all that money on a fully integrated tube. I will probably start off with a 115hp motor and maybe upgrade to a 150hp. All that extra cash could go towards the marine plywood, flooring etc. Since this is a ground up build I at least want to do the 3/4 log as I know id kick myself later if I tried to add one after I was already done with the build. Any input from those who were in the same situation.
A center pontoon with transom will be structurally stronger than a seperate transom and 3/4 tube. The loads from the outboard will be carried all the way to the front of the boat without much twisting or bending, which in the long term can cause cracking. I would try to find the funds to do a center pontoon with transom, especially since you have not bought the transom yet and may go to 150 hp.

Beachpig

#6 Post by Beachpig » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:26 pm

Alright the strakes are on the inside now. Bit the bullet and bought a center tube almost the same length (22') and the same diameter 25". Scratch and dent tube that never saw water. Sits slightly lower than the outer tubes. Has a bolt rail system for mounting to the cross members which I was excited to use but I have decided it sucks and I will be cutting the bolts and using the traditional mounting system as on the outer tubes.

Only tested 1 of the 3 internal chambers and found 2 tiny pinhole leaks on top of the tube. Now I have to decide to do what others have done and have a welder cut the center tube and weld my existing transom pan into it or have a fabrication shop build a motor support and then weld it on the back of it. I really could use advice on this one. Starting with a 115hp motor and cant see anything bigger than 150hp ever going on it down the road. These are the examples I am talking about:

Last edited by Beachpig on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rancherlee

#7 Post by rancherlee » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:32 am

if you ONLY plan on going 150hp in the future I would just have a shop manufacture a 1' long extension from .100-.125 that matches the tube diameter. The end cap is very strong and will work very well as a backer plate for butt weld that would be required to weld on the extension. I have a few pictures of the transom I build on my 3rd tube a few posts down (haley's comet 3.0) and its WAY overbuilt for my 140hp suzuki
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm

Beachpig

#8 Post by Beachpig » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:30 am

That sounds like exactly what I want to do. There is a company down the street from me that I get all my aluminum from. Can you advise what pieces and thicknesses of each piece do I need to build this. I want to be able I take all the parts to a welder and show them the photo and say please recreate this. Yeah I wonder after I have a 115hp if I'll ever go to a 150 as it will be more of a cruiser than a speed boat.

willy13

#9 Post by willy13 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:36 am

If you are buying any channel or angle aluminum, make sure that you buy the "structural" aluminum. The "architectural" aluminum has sharp edges that can cause stress risers.

As far as thickness, it depends on the design, if in doubt go to 3/16" or 1/4". You shouldn't need anything thicker though. Maybe get the opinion of the welder that is willing to do the job.

urbnsr

#10 Post by urbnsr » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:38 am

Looks great. Thanks for sharing...

How is the maximum HP rating calculated on a build (or rebuild)? I have a capacity plate (decal, actually) and assumed that to be the final word. Does a qualified person need to provide a new capacity plate? I'm guessing insurance and common sense being the main reasons not to over-power.

Thanks...
Paul

Beachpig

#11 Post by Beachpig » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:55 pm

With winter over I have finally got back to working on the triton build.  I have spent a small fortune on stainless steel nuts, bolts, washer, and screws.  Went and picked up the AB marine grade plywood today.  $71 a sheet but luckily Menards is having a buy anything and get 11% rebate sale.  Used the boat to hall the plywood back to the house.  Already broke 3 drill bits screwing down the deck. 

[IMG]http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp57 ... zuprwk.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by Beachpig on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JLester273

#12 Post by JLester273 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:27 pm

this is very cool... I am looking forward to the progress
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

Beachpig

#13 Post by Beachpig » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:37 pm

My new photos are not showing up and I don't know why.

JLester273

#14 Post by JLester273 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:47 pm

[quote="Beachpig"]My new photos are not showing up and I don't know why.[/quote]

I believe this is a problem with the forum unfortunately. You can just make them direct html links so they are clickable. Or upload them to the forum (which is a pain imo)

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp57 ... zuprwk.jpg
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

bansil

#15 Post by bansil » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:31 am

It is not a forum problem, it is photobucket...no more 3rd party hosting w/o paying $399 a year.
You need a new photo hosting site
Imgur is one to look at

Can't wait to see pictures!
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com