Learning about my boat and motor.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

yardbird

Learning about my boat and motor.

#1 Post by yardbird » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:44 am

I feel like I've gotten dumber over the years in some respects.

Starting the motor.
Nissan 2-stroke 30hp. Check fuel tank vent, squeeze primer bulb to make sure it's firm.
Neutral, warm up throttle raised about half.
Turn key.... couple seconds. No start (cold starting).
Go back and manually pull choke closed. Turn key. Engine starts. Jump back to close choke, diddle around with idle speed using warm-up throttle lever...

Oh it starts and runs pretty nicely.
BUT.... I wondered how the previous owner could possibly have even GOTTEN to the choke when the sundeck was on (I've removed it)

TODAY... after owning the boat a couple weeks now and having it out a few times..... TODAY I learned that pushing the key IN activates the choke. So I don't HAVE to jump around. -facepalm-

ALSO... on a completely different note... my brother-in-law just offerred me a 130hp outboard. Free. "Was running when I took it off the boat a couple years ago". I fully expect I'd need to go through it carefully. but he's something of a motor head so I also expect it's in pretty much ok shape.

HOWEVER... my toon is only rated for 50hp. What would YOU do? Obviously I can't drop the 130hp onto my boat.

Bamaman

Re: Learning about my boat and motor.

#2 Post by Bamaman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:50 am

You are right that the 130 up motor won't work. Your toons are too small in diameter. He satisfied with what you have got.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

yardbird

#3 Post by yardbird » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:39 am

[quote="Bamaman"]You are right that the 130 up motor won't work. Your toons are too small in diameter. He satisfied with what you have got.[/quote]

Hmmm... no, I know I can't use the 130hp on my current boat. Just wondering if I should take it and get it up to snuff, and maybe coerce the wife into a toon that will take the motor...hahah. She's already just a little disappointed about not being able to run it on the river much cause of the 30hp.

And if I followed that "Be satisfied with what you got" line of thinking.... I'd have kept my first wife! *grin*

JLester273

#4 Post by JLester273 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 am

Yeah that push to choke thing got me. And I grew up on one that did that. It had just been years. So the first few times I started it I couldn't believe how hard it was. Now that I know how it starts pretty easy.

Free 130....yeah what would be the harm if you have room. Then use this toon until you find something with a junked motor or without a motor and your good. Probably pay for it with your other toon sale.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

JLester273

#5 Post by JLester273 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:06 am

Or maybe new bigger toon logs. ....
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

yardbird

#6 Post by yardbird » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Just looked at a 2006 Meridian tri-toon (2023.... so... 20 footer?) without a motor for $7500. But when I look it up, it appears it's rated for a 90hp. So... not only newer, but looks like I'd need a bigger boat as well if I wanted to make use of a "free" 130hp motor.

Retired OG

#7 Post by Retired OG » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:10 am

[quote="yardbird"]

TODAY... after owning the boat a couple weeks now and having it out a few times..... TODAY I learned that pushing the key IN activates the choke. So I don't HAVE to jump around. -facepalm-
[/quote]

I've had mine for about three months now and still haven't gotten it out yet....(I did a re-deck) I got to fiddling around with the carb linkage and noticed that in order for the automatic (electric) choke to work, the manual choke has to be pulled half way out....and my motor has to be running in order to be in either neutral or reverse...hopefully, I'll be able to put it in the lake within the next week and see how bad the old "toons" leak....
1973 Kayot with 1972 Evinrude 50 hp Lark

yardbird

#8 Post by yardbird » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:12 am

[quote="Retired OG"][quote="yardbird"]

[/quote]

I've had mine for about three months now and still haven't gotten it out yet....(I did a re-deck) I got to fiddling around with the carb linkage and noticed that in order for the automatic (electric) choke to work, the manual choke has to be pulled half way out....and my motor has to be running in order to be in either neutral or reverse...hopefully, I'll be able to put it in the lake within the next week and see how bad the old "toons" leak....[/quote]

I hear ya. The previous owner said he pulled the plugs on the toons every fall and never got a drop. HOWEVER... I know he trailered it, used it, recovered it. Right now I have it in a slip. I marked the water line on both toons and I go every couple days when I'm not using it and check if either side is sitting lower. So far so good. :)