click, click, click, CRANK

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

sunedog

click, click, click, CRANK

#1 Post by sunedog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Looking for help in debugging my problem. Have a 2000 Honda BF115 on the back of my Bennington. For about a month, it has acted like the battery was weak. Turn the key and you hear a faint click. Turn it counterclockwise and then clockwise again and the boat fires right up. I put a load tester on my three year old Walmart battery and it read barely in the weak range, so I replaced the battery. The condition persisted and is progressively getting worse. Now you have to turn the key clockwise / counter clockwise / clockwise 4 or more times to get it to crank over. But when it does, it starts quickly. I'm worried about getting stranded away from home if it eventually doesn't start.

I originally thought I had a worn out keyswitch so I have one on order. But over the weekend, it dawned on me the click I hear when it doesn't crank is coming from the motor. So the starter relay is getting the current from the keyswitch. But it is taking several tries to get the starter to engage.

How do you test the relay? Is there any other thing you think it may be?

NonHyphenAmerican

Re: click, click, click, CRANK

#2 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Try cleaning the cable ends and battery posts.

If they're dirty, when you first hit the switch, the current can't overcome the resistance.

Hit it and hold a few times and the terminals heat up enough to over come the resistance.

So one of the first things I do when a battery acts a bit weak is to clean terminals.

It's a simple thing that doesn't cost you much and can often end the issue.

Then if that doesn't end the issue, have someone with a battery tester test it under a load. If the battery is good, then start looking at starter relay and bendix.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

sunedog

#3 Post by sunedog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Battery terminals are shiny, bright, covered in dielectric grease and tight. I already load tested the original battery, determined it was borderline, so I replaced it.

Based on some information on a different forum, I'm strongly suspecting the starter solenoid. Will have to pull the starter off to get to it, though. Have plans to use the boat to see the eclipse later today, so it will have to wait. Thanks.

jrolin1

#4 Post by jrolin1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:45 am

I think you are on the right track with the solenoid. I had one on a yamaha that did the same thing. Replaced it solved the issue. I am not aware of a good way to test them when they work intermittently.

vlxerdon

#5 Post by vlxerdon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:04 am

Sounds like solenoid to me as well. Before you change anything check all the connections not just battery. Check connections at the starter as well as the solenoid. Hope you find an easy fix.
1994 Starcraft Stardeck 200
1998 Johnson 90HP
1995 Calkins tandem axle trailer

04 4.0 liter SOHC Ford Explorer
98 5.9 V8 Magnum Dodge Ram

teecro

#6 Post by teecro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:17 am

I'd change the solenoid as the only other thing that comes to mind is worn starter brushes...
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

PlaynDoc

#7 Post by PlaynDoc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:26 pm

check the fluid level in your key switch. if it's low, get some from the auto parts store
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

Bamaman

#8 Post by Bamaman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Pull the starter and take it to an auto electric shop. They can test it and order parts for virtually any starter ever built.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

sunedog

#9 Post by sunedog » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:50 am

[quote="vlxerdon"]Sounds like solenoid to me as well. Before you change anything check all the connections not just battery. Check connections at the starter as well as the solenoid. Hope you find an easy fix.[/quote]

Already done, but it didn't help. Unbolted each terminal to the starter relay and starter, scuffed 'em with sandpaper, applied dielectric grease, rebolted firmly.

sunedog

#10 Post by sunedog » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:54 am

[quote="Bamaman"]Pull the starter and take it to an auto electric shop. They can test it and order parts for virtually any starter ever built.[/quote]

This is the plan. Just have to figure out when I can do it.

Luckily there is an ole timey auto electric shop that specializes in starters near where I work. I've been there once. Old guy about 100 years old shuffling around running the place. He probably knows more about starters than GM.

JLester273

#11 Post by JLester273 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:28 pm

[quote="PlaynDoc"]check the fluid level in your key switch. if it's low, get some from the auto parts store[/quote]

That and make sure the blinker fluid it full in you trailer too. LOL
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

taylorjm

#12 Post by taylorjm » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:47 pm

If there's a starter relay, chances are that's the issue.

PlaynDoc

#13 Post by PlaynDoc » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:32 pm

[quote="JLester273"][quote="PlaynDoc"]check the fluid level in your key switch. if it's low, get some from the auto parts store[/quote]

That and make sure the blinker fluid it full in you trailer too. LOL[/quote]

as much as we're goofing here....

how about the key switch, itself? corroded/loose connections? i don't know how, but try to 'hot wire' it - I'm sure there's a couple guys on here that can speak from experience about hot wiring vehicles.....
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

sunedog

#14 Post by sunedog » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:07 am

[quote="PlaynDoc"]how about the key switch, itself? corroded/loose connections? i don't know how, but try to 'hot wire' it - I'm sure there's a couple guys on here that can speak from experience about hot wiring vehicles.....[/quote]

I originally thought it was the keyswitch and actually ordered one. But over the weekend, it dawned on me the faint thunk sound I was hearing when I turned the key and the motor didn't crank was coming from the motor. So I am reasoning the current is getting through the keyswitch back to the motor. I'll probably install the new keyswitch since it was only $35, but I'll be surprised if it cures the problem. I'm still leaning towards starter relay, starter solenoid, or the starter itself.

sunedog

#15 Post by sunedog » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:10 am

[quote="taylorjm"]If there's a starter relay, chances are that's the issue.[/quote]

You may be right. But I replaced the starter relay two years ago with an OEM one, so my money (quite literally) will probably be on the starter solenoid or the starter.