Vinyl wraps

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Post Reply
Message
Author
QBreen
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:17 am

Vinyl wraps

#1 Post by QBreen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:53 am

Here are a few boats I've vinyl wrapped. Just thought you guys might want to see.
Attachments
IMG956945_01.jpg
IMG956945_01.jpg (257.45 KiB) Viewed 513 times
IMG_20180827_065113_01.jpg
IMG_20180827_065113_01.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 513 times
IMG_20180827_065120_01.jpg
IMG_20180827_065120_01.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 513 times

User avatar
curtiscapk
Posts: 4916
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:31 am
Location: OP KS\Truman Lake

Re: Vinyl wraps

#2 Post by curtiscapk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:17 am

Great job and welcome too the club! More pics!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Boat at Truman Lake, MO

User avatar
Henpecked
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:05 pm
Location: Ellis County, TX

Re: Vinyl wraps

#3 Post by Henpecked » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:33 pm

QBreen wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:53 am
Here are a few boats I've vinyl wrapped. Just thought you guys might want to see.
They look great. I have my eye on a friend's old boat and it is very similar to your middle picture. The rails were damaged in a storm and he has already bought a new boat. I suspect that I will be replacing the skins if I get it and won't need to wrap, but it's good to have options. Is it hard to install? Do you remove the skin, wrap, and reinstall, or do you install the wrap in place? Heat gun?

tcpip95
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:25 am
Location: Fort Myers, FL

Re: Vinyl wraps

#4 Post by tcpip95 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Any word on how well the vinyl wraps hold up on Florida Gulf of Mexico salt, sun, etc.? Have been thinking about wrapping my Bennington.
2012 Bennington 24 SSL
150 HP Yamaha
.45 1911 Security System

QBreen
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:17 am

Re: Vinyl wraps

#5 Post by QBreen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Henpecked wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:33 pm
QBreen wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:53 am
Here are a few boats I've vinyl wrapped. Just thought you guys might want to see.
They look great. I have my eye on a friend's old boat and it is very similar to your middle picture. The rails were damaged in a storm and he has already bought a new boat. I suspect that I will be replacing the skins if I get it and won't need to wrap, but it's good to have options. Is it hard to install? Do you remove the skin, wrap, and reinstall, or do you install the wrap in place? Heat gun?
It's not too bad to install! However I have been doing vinyl for signs, cars, boats and much more for 17 years. I have a little experience. I use heat when needed but don't usually need much. I leave the skins on and hand cut edges if needed.

QBreen
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:17 am

Re: Vinyl wraps

#6 Post by QBreen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:55 pm

tcpip95 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 pm
Any word on how well the vinyl wraps hold up on Florida Gulf of Mexico salt, sun, etc.? Have been thinking about wrapping my Bennington.
I would think it would hold up just fine! Most graphics on boats are already vinyl. A high quality vinyl definitely helps.

User avatar
sunedog
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:48 am

Re: Vinyl wraps

#7 Post by sunedog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:22 am

tcpip95 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 pm
Any word on how well the vinyl wraps hold up on Florida Gulf of Mexico salt, sun, etc.? Have been thinking about wrapping my Bennington.
I had a custom WVU wrap on my last boat and really liked it. It was a real head turner with incredible detail. It even had the lyrics to Take Me Home, Country Roads "ghosted" in the background. The guy who did it (a pro) said he'd never wrap another pontoon because it took so long to remove the original graphics. Might have been harder because the boat was about 10 years old when he did it.

None of the colors faded in the SC sun. However, a wrap is a big vinyl bumper sticker. Even though mine was a high quality 3M vinyl, it really took a beating after 7 years. About every panel had some kind of gouge in it. Most I never knew what happened.

Image

User avatar
Rick McC.
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:12 pm
Location: Weeki Wachee, Fl

Re: Vinyl wraps

#8 Post by Rick McC. » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:02 pm

tcpip95 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 pm
Any word on how well the vinyl wraps hold up on Florida Gulf of Mexico salt, sun, etc.? Have been thinking about wrapping my Bennington.
This one’s over three years old now:
Attachments
080649D0-3236-481D-9779-DFC1CED674DD.jpeg
080649D0-3236-481D-9779-DFC1CED674DD.jpeg (814.07 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

ashdigger
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: Vinyl wraps

#9 Post by ashdigger » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Very nice!!

Post Reply