Boat Title

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

Boat Title

#1 Post by ROLAND » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:53 pm

Sometime back I was cleaning out some old files in my desk and i accidentally shreaded the title to my boat. I recently submitted an application for a duplicate title to the Louisiana dept. of wildlife and fisheries... Duplicate title arrived in the mail today and the first thing I noticed is that they mispelled my wife's middle name. Her middle name wasn't even listed on the application I sent in... Will I need to contact them to reissue another title or is it okay the way it is?
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

steve1313

Re: Boat Title

#2 Post by steve1313 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:39 am

I'm not an attorney, and I didn't' stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I think you'll be fine.

With that being said, I'd spend the few bucks and get it done correctly, but that's just because I'm a bit OCD and it would bother me. If you go to the local office, they'd probably re-issue it for free since it's their mistake.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Rick McC.

#3 Post by Rick McC. » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 pm

steve1313 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:39 am
I'm not an attorney, and I didn't' stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I think you'll be fine.

With that being said, I'd spend the few bucks and get it done correctly, but that's just because I'm a bit OCD and it would bother me. If you go to the local office, they'd probably re-issue it for free since it's their mistake.
I’ll second that!
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

ROLAND

#4 Post by ROLAND » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:55 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate it... Unfortunately for me, no local office.. their office is located in Baton Rouge, about 5 hours south of where I am... but I'll give them a call Monday just to make sure. Appreciate your reply's guys.. thanks again.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

r&s20

#5 Post by r&s20 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:57 pm

Roland,

Yes you need to get this corrected, We are talking about the state of Louisiana. if you don't correct now it will most likely cause problems if and when go go to sell.
This state ain't normal
if it ain't broke-it ain't ours
94 smokercraft 20ft 90hp johnson
fish and cruise
I am not ADULT SUPERVISION !

BobL

#6 Post by BobL » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:00 pm

ROLAND wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:53 pm
Sometime back I was cleaning out some old files in my desk and i accidentally shreaded the title to my boat.
Slight threadjack....

Roland, I think you are in Louisiana and when I saw "boat title", I was a bit confused. I have never had a title for a boat and I have had plenty of them (all bought/sold/used in Louisiana). I have always only had a title on my trailers but that is it.

As for your question.....I would'nt sweat it right now but would get it fixed. If you sell it, and the person buying it has to finance, the bank may get pissy.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

r&s20

#7 Post by r&s20 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:10 pm

not roland,

bobl you are correct the state of louisiana has been a no title state for boats, but in their search for more money they are trying to transition to a title state.
if it ain't broke-it ain't ours
94 smokercraft 20ft 90hp johnson
fish and cruise
I am not ADULT SUPERVISION !

ROLAND

#8 Post by ROLAND » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:45 am

BobL wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:00 pm
ROLAND wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:53 pm
Sometime back I was cleaning out some old files in my desk and i accidentally shreaded the title to my boat.
Slight threadjack....

Roland, I think you are in Louisiana and when I saw "boat title", I was a bit confused. I have never had a title for a boat and I have had plenty of them (all bought/sold/used in Louisiana). I have always only had a title on my trailers but that is it.

As for your question.....I would'nt sweat it right now but would get it fixed. If you sell it, and the person buying it has to finance, the bank may get pissy.

boat titles in Louisiana is a confusing subject... it's my understanding that boat's were issued titles til around 2010 or 2011. Before I ever ordered a duplicate title I called the Louisiana dept. of wildlife and fisheries and told the lady that I thought I had accidentally run my title thru a shredder, but I also told her It happened so quickly that I wasn't sure if in fact it was the boat title.. she asked me for the registration number and she then said Yes, my boat has a title.... when I called them back and told them that my wife's name was misspelled she was surprised since it wasn't misspelled on the application I sent in for the duplicate title.. After a little research she discovered my wife's name is misspelled on the boat registration, and apparently has been misspelled since 2010 when I bought it. Long story shory, my registration renewal is due now so she asked me to send the title back along with the registration renewal and she would take care of both of them... all's well that ends well...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana