Reasons not to winter my boat in an uncovered wet slip?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Jim in Alabama

Reasons not to winter my boat in an uncovered wet slip?

#1 Post by Jim in Alabama » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:57 pm

This will be our second winter at the lake with an uncovered wet slip for our South Bay tritoon. The dock gets sun most of the day, I leave the front and rear gates open for circulation and so far have had no issues with mold/mildew under the cover. Big wakes/rough water are not an issue. And the lake level is well controlled, it doesn't vary much at all.

Dry storage is an expensive and inconvenient option and the boat stays in the water April through Oct anyway. Do any of you leave your boat in a wet slip year round?

Thanks,
Jim
2017 South Bay 521CR - 115 Yamaha 4-Stroke
1990 Champion Mean 16 - Evinrude 100XP

Bamaman

Re: Reasons not to winter my boat in an uncovered wet slip?

#2 Post by Bamaman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:01 am

My boat stays inside a boathouse lifted 3' out of the water (on a rack) with its mooring cover intact. It has never spent one night left in the water. I'm very fortunate to have double boathouses in my front yard.

But if I was going to have wet storage, it would be for as short of time as I used the boat--approx. 3 months. Otherwise, it would be on a trailer.

My old StarCraft was 28 years old when I retired it due to mechanical issues. It too was kept dry and out of the sun. I have no reason to think my new Bennington won't last just as long.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

zoom650

#3 Post by zoom650 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:34 am

I'm in Georgia and I have a wet slip year round. The only reason I pull the boat in the off season is the tritoon hull gets really nasty with lake scum for any extended period of time. When it's time for New Years fireworks on the lake, I'm back out!
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

Gonefishing

#4 Post by Gonefishing » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:02 am

Use to be able to leave mine in a wet slip till the Mariana closed and the city took it over. But when I did I would take it out at least once a month and clean the toons. Leaving it in the water they would get really nasty from algae and stuff.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

Gonefishing

#5 Post by Gonefishing » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:03 am

Use to be able to leave mine in a wet slip till the Mariana closed and the city took it over. But when I did I would take it out at least once a month and clean the toons. Leaving it in the water they would get really nasty from algae and stuff. I do miss the slip was really nice to have.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

jrolin1

#6 Post by jrolin1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:42 am

Mine has been at my dock in the water for 13 years with no issues since I don't have a trailer. I just brush the toons in the water once a month in warm weather.